JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wa. Here, but I think we are all brothers in arms and freedom. Does this mean an off duty osp trooper cannot go into an oregon dmv office to renew his drivers license while carrying, but joe street with a cpl can?
Does a deputy of any county have to walk from his car into the sherriff's office unarmed?
And for me, this whole "procedure" and "human resources" thing is the best policy the government and large corporations has come up with to control the individual person. "We know better than you"
My bubblegum!!!
Just me.:mad:

i dont work for the state, the company i work for says no guns on the property in the employee handbook but, me, my boss and everyone else who doesnt give a crap has their EDC in their tool box, or in my bosses situation in his briefcase. pff even some of the salesmen carry.for us responsible people, its a dont ask dont tell situation as i am certain that the owner of the business is pro gun. the policy is for liability reasons im sure.

No gray area at all. State property is tax payer public property. The State can not make up the rules as they go. Only court rooms. Only secured areas of federal airports. Not public school district school grounds. No State property.

Private property can make up their own rules. We have the option of honoring their rules. We have the option of taking our business elsewhere. The State can not make up their own rules. All State property is public property by definition.

The only exemptions are State Court Houses and secured areas of State Airports. Also maybe some Sheriff's secured areas.

Some attorneys here please.

Thank God I don't work for the state:D

You sell a bit of your soul when you work for the government. There are good people who work for the man, police, fire and utility workers. But you still work for the man, and if the man says sh*t, you say, "where, how much and when" ??

You become a honk for the government..you support their policies, you support your union, you pay the dues and everything you do in your job is aimed at perpetuating the idea that government is good,very much required and that you should support all candidates and all legislation that will increase taxes and income to the government.

You will receive a livable salary, good vacation each year, twice the number of paid holidays than private employees, complete family health care, and a $ 5,000 per month minimum check each month in retirement, that you contributed absolutely nothing too. That part looks pretty good to me right now, as I have my bills paid and do not lack, but that kind of income in your retirement is beyond awesome.

Just don't expect to rock the boat, have your new ideas listened to or implemented, and don't ever say anything against the man.

No gray area at all. State property is tax payer public property. The State can not make up the rules as they go. Only court rooms. Only secured areas of federal airports. Not public school district school grounds. No State property.

Private property can make up their own rules. We have the option of honoring their rules. We have the option of taking our business elsewhere. The State can not make up their own rules. All State property is public property by definition.

The only exemptions are State Court Houses and secured areas of State Airports. Also maybe some Sheriff's secured areas.

Some attorneys here please.

No need for an attorney..I think your take covers it all. We can hope there might be a court challenge to any illegal executive order that the liberals put in place.

Looking at it from a LEGAL state law prospective, they have no legal standing? None at all? State Law regarding legal concealed carry permit statute is very clear. This is the same as the public school district statutes.

Public agencies can make recommendations. They can not trump State Statute. I believe this is like public school districts demanding a kill free zone. They can demand only. They have no legal authority to do so. State property?

My read on this is that if you have a CCW permit issued by Oregon, then you can legally ignore such signs. They have no legal standing? I am wondering if legal suit can be brought because of this? A $settlement$ might make your day?

My opinion only. The only prohibitions on CCW carry is like the Federal prohibitions. Courts rooms. Secured Airports. State Property? No way. Give me a break. They can ask only. Some legal clarifications here please. Respectfully.

I am not a lawyer. Some opinions please.

The courts have already ruled that state employee's can be prohibited from carrying as a part of the 'contract of employment'.

Courts can be overruled. Heller comes to mind. In wa. I believe it says except for courthouses, secure areas of jails or police areas. Or where those 18 or younger are not allowed. As well as secure areas of federal bs.
If i'm on any "state property" and shtf, the last thing I would want to hear is some person saying give me your gun, i'm an off duty cop and i'm unarmed.

Someone pointed me to this article on FB from Rep. Greg Barreto.

Link to the post: Oregon Department of Administrative... - Greg Barreto for Oregon House of Representatives HD 58 | Facebook

Oregon Department of Administrative Services effective Jan 6 terminated the right to self-defense of employees, board and commission members, employees and others working in state agencies

JOINT STATEMENT
HOUSE & SENATE
REPUBLICANS

Republicans disturbed by Brown administration rule that compromises self-defense rights of Oregonians
Oregon Department of Administrative Services effective Jan 6 terminated the right to self-defense of employees, board and commission members, employees and others working in state agencies

SALEM-Today, Republican leadership in both the House and Senate responded to the Oregon Department of Administrative Services (DAS) policy effective Jan. 6 stripping all employees, board and commission members, volunteers and others working in an agency, of the right to self-defense.

House Republican Leader Mike McLane, of Powell Butte, released the following statement:

"I am extremely concerned to learn that our state government has taken steps that limit employees' right to self-defense and believe that these actions may violate the Oregon Constitution. I will be asking Gov. Brown's office to explain where they believe their power to take such actions is derived from and, if necessary, take swift action to restore the rights of Oregonians as soon as possible."

Senate Republican Leader Ted Ferrioli, of John Day, expressed concern for the safety of state employees:

"The governor's administration has no business confiscating self-defense rights from public servants, volunteers and others, who have committed themselves to serving our state. Oregonians should be outraged that public servants are now endangered due to a seemingly political agenda at the cost of safety."

###

For House Republicans media requests please contact House Republicans Communications Director Preston Mann at 503-986-1009 or [email protected].

For Senate Republicans media requests please contact Senate Republicans Communications Director Jonathan Lockwood at 971-645-2140 or [email protected].

It's all a load of bullbubblegume. I hope a bunch of these employees get together and file a class-action lawsuit against the state over this loss of their rights.

Someone pointed me to this article on FB from Rep. Greg Barreto.

Link to the post: Oregon Department of Administrative... - Greg Barreto for Oregon House of Representatives HD 58 | Facebook

JOINT STATEMENT
HOUSE & SENATE
REPUBLICANS

Republicans disturbed by Brown administration rule that compromises self-defense rights of Oregonians

SALEM-Today, Republican leadership in both the House and Senate responded to the Oregon Department of Administrative Services (DAS) policy effective Jan. 6 stripping all employees, board and commission members, volunteers and others working in an agency, of the right to self-defense.

House Republican Leader Mike McLane, of Powell Butte, released the following statement:

"I am extremely concerned to learn that our state government has taken steps that limit employees' right to self-defense and believe that these actions may violate the Oregon Constitution. I will be asking Gov. Brown's office to explain where they believe their power to take such actions is derived from and, if necessary, take swift action to restore the rights of Oregonians as soon as possible."

Senate Republican Leader Ted Ferrioli, of John Day, expressed concern for the safety of state employees:

"The governor's administration has no business confiscating self-defense rights from public servants, volunteers and others, who have committed themselves to serving our state. Oregonians should be outraged that public servants are now endangered due to a seemingly political agenda at the cost of safety."

###

For House Republicans media requests please contact House Republicans Communications Director Preston Mann at 503-986-1009 or [email protected].

For Senate Republicans media requests please contact Senate Republicans Communications Director Jonathan Lockwood at 971-645-2140 or [email protected].

It's all a load of bullbubblegume. I hope a bunch of these employees get together and file a class-action lawsuit against the state over this loss of their rights.
I'd like to see Brownstain forced from office and Richardson installed as Governor, that would truly make this a happy new year... Alas, it's just my dream...

I'd like to see Brownstain forced from office and Richardson installed as Governor, that would truly make this a happy new year... Alas, it's just my dream...

Never give up on your dreams!

image.jpeg

If I'm VOLUNTEERING to help out at the local school, I'm not going to change my self-defense preparation in response to some stupid policy. (The memo says even volunteers are covered by this "no weapons" policy). What are they going to do? Fire me?

ORS 166.170 State Preemption.

(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

Brown can eat a bag of....

Last Edited:
You sell a bit of your soul when you work for the government. There are good people who work for the man, police, fire and utility workers. But you still work for the man, and if the man says sh*t, you say, "where, how much and when" ??

You become a honk for the government..you support their policies, you support your union, you pay the dues and everything you do in your job is aimed at perpetuating the idea that government is good,very much required and that you should support all candidates and all legislation that will increase taxes and income to the government.

You will receive a livable salary, good vacation each year, twice the number of paid holidays than private employees, complete family health care,

I dont know what state gives free pensions, but I have a public safety retirement account and my employer only matches half my contribution. I'm only eligible to get 60% at age 55.....too bad I started when I was 22. 33 years for 60%.....good thing I have IRAs.

The ban will be upheld because it is a condition of employment they aren't banned from carrying, there banned from being employed and carrying.

This is how law works and we should be be working to change the laws. If the LAW were that employees were legally allowed TO carry that would put an end to the problem.

My take on this is to protect the state from liability claims at the expense of the welfare of their employees. I am assuming that state employees are largely democratic, or far left liberal and are psychologically minded to be submissive in the face of threat or overt. These are personality types that are sheep minded and not wolf minded. I don't think that mentally or emotionally these weak minded people can change their character, in general; and protect them selves.
On the other hand, if a violent incident happened in the state workplace, and unfortunate employees were hurt, well one would assume that many elected policy makers were causative of the outcomes.

On the other hand, private sectors employees I'd think would represent a broad spectrum of backbone, and more of a willingness to protect self and others.

There is also a problem with the structure of society that in many cases do not approve of teaching self defense to children or teens or adults.

I doubt much has really changed. This stuff has been in the employee handbooks of at least a handful of agencies for a long time. Now the state is making it official, with the possible exception of having a baseball bat in your car in the parking lot. (which seems over the top)

All officers receive special training, thus are exempt from most of this. Seems pretty simple to me, but I'm not a lawyer.

I am not saying I like it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads