JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Arizona Takes a Smart Step on State Guard Units | The Foundry

Interesting story I have ran across. I also read that Alaska already has one of these.
It seems that these state militias are a way for the individual states to keep control of their military units, and not allow the feds to take them over, as they are not National Guards.
This could prove to be a very interesting development.

Whats wrong with a organized Volunteer Guard unit??? i think it could be a great idea... how many times to local communities bring out local trackers to find things, people, animals, criminals etc..... Look at what happens for skiers and hikers on Mt. Hood and im sure other ski areas do the same???

Whats wrong with a organized Volunteer Guard unit??? i think it could be a great idea... how many times to local communities bring out local trackers to find things, people, animals, criminals etc..... Look at what happens for skiers and hikers on Mt. Hood and im sure other ski areas do the same???

I did not say there was anything wrong with it. Personally I find it preferable to National Guard, which while being a form of a state militia and under the authority and control of the state's governor, can be taken over by the federal authorities (president being its ultimate commander in chief).
These units' command structure stops at the governor.

Last Edited:
In Oregon the "State Defense Force" is administered out of the State Military Department. Historicly in Oregon, the mission was rather lacking and it was disbanded for a while till a certain high ranking guard officer retired from State service and became the Brigider General in charge of it.

"In November 2002 the ORSDF was reorganized to better mirror units of the Army National Guard with smaller company field units and two Battalion Headquarters. Today the ORSDF is tasked with being prepared for homeland security missions and assisting the 1-186 Infantry and 1-162 Infantry of the Oregon Army National Guard in accomplishing their state missions and training for their federal missions." -from the Oregon State Defense Force web page.

That's not all Arizona is doing. :s0155:

They're going to build their own darn fence using prison labor. I wonder how many prisoners they'll lose in the process.

Another bill bans non-citizens from getting government services.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"On Thursday, April 28, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signed SB 1406 into law. The bill authorizes the Grand Canyon State to enter into an interstate compact with other states to erect a security fence along the section of the border with Mexico that runs through that state."

"State Senators have introduced SB 1611, an "Omnibus" immigration bill that would deny illegal immigrants access to taxpayer-funded services to which they — as non-citizens and non-taxpayers — are not legally entitled. The new bill would deny all public benefits to undocumented immigrants in Arizona. It would also make proof of citizenship a requirement for those applying for public housing and vehicle registration as well as for public school enrollment from kindergarten through college. It would also make it illegal for an undocumented immigrant to operate a motor vehicle.."

Ariz. Gov. Jan Brewer Signs Law Authorizing Security Fence

I did not say there was anything wrong with it. Personally I find it preferable to National Guard, which while being a form of a state militia and under the authority and control of the state's governor, can be taken over by the federal authorities (president being its ultimate commander in chief).
sorry didnt mean to make it sound like you had issue with it... my bad... I was just commenting in addition to yours like, "why not have extra NON governement, carefully organized group."

Militia, Zombies and Cheese

This is a blog I own that talks about different state defense forces and some of the issues they face.
Not least of these is the lack of funding, including Washington state. Many SDFs are not armed, or were,
but are no longer. Some states have very vigorous programs, some are so-so and most are pathetic.
A few such as New York and Virginia even have naval militias. Given our extensive inland
waterways such as Puget Sound, Grays Harbor and the Columbia River I suspect we could use
such. The odd aspect about most SDFs is that they use recruitment qualification standards,
while not nearly as rigid as the Army or National Guard, have the effect of excluding many people
who legally qualify as members of the "unorganized" militia. The feds define membership as all
males between 17 and 45, any female or older male volunteers, and excludes regular, reserve and
National Guard, as well as some officials. The various states have different age ranges, up to age 70.
Those who laugh at the idea of old men in battle ignore history.

Militia, Zombies and Cheese

................ The various states have different age ranges, up to age 70.
Those who laugh at the idea of old men in battle ignore history.

Old man might not have the physical prowess of an young man, but does have a lot more patience and wisdom. There are also a lot of tough as nails old geezers out there that could kick most young punks butts into "I want my mommy" land.
Armies like young men because their bravado and belief in personal invincibility makes them perfect for the front lines.

are u being sarcastic???

The Idea that middle of the roaders & Middle left types have a disdane for Militia makes me warm to the idea more . We Have a Northern California Militia (Far Nor Cal Siskiyou & Shasta Counties) that aids Leos in Winter & Back Country serches . Militia has Sno-Cats & other Off Road equipment and does specialized Horseback patrols with Sherriffs for lost folks & missing Children ...

The Idea that middle of the roaders & Middle left types have a disdane for Militia makes me warm to the idea more . We Have a Northern California Militia (Far Nor Cal Siskiyou & Shasta Counties) that aids Leos in Winter & Back Country serches . Militia has Sno-Cats & other Off Road equipment and does specialized Horseback patrols with Sherriffs for lost folks & missing Children ...

Is the militia you are referring to part of the California state military or is it privately organized. If private, what did you have to do to gain the interest and trust of the sheriff's?

By federal law, every adult male in the US that is a citizen or has indicated that he wants to be a citizen is IN the militia, either organized militia (national guard) or unorganized (all others).

United States Code: Title 10,311. Militia: composition and classes | LII / Legal Information Institute

Title 10, Subtitle A, Part I, Chapter 13, paragraph 311
Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard
or the naval militia

(Title 10 of the US Code as currently published by the US Government reflects the laws passed by Congress as of Feb.1, 2010)

Old man might not have the physical prowess of an young man, but does have a lot more patience and wisdom. There are also a lot of tough as nails old geezers out there that could kick most young punks butts into "I want my mommy" land.
Armies like young men because their bravado and belief in personal invincibility makes them perfect for the front lines.

Armies like young men for the reason that they are less likely to question authority.

Give me a group of vietnam vets, some ordnance, a clear objective, and stand aside.

We might be old, but we are mean and sneaky.

OK, so 3 months ago I was visiting an 86 year old uncle near Coos Bay. This guy
has a local reputation as a sorta kinda liberal. Very polite, soft spoken and uses
a cane. So, after discussing the usual range of social issues he looks at me for
a moment then orders me to follow him out to him out to his attached garage.
He pulls a canvas tarp off a pile of sandbags and lo, he has a M1919 with belt
loaded but action open pointed towards the front gate. Big grin.

"Armies like young men for the reason that they are less likely to question authority.
Give me a group of vietnam vets, some ordnance, a clear objective, and stand aside.
We might be old, but we are mean and sneaky."

Yeah, I can see it now. Some 25 year old L-T orders a bunch of geezers to enter and
clear a building. They open up with M60s and M14s on every corner, door, window while
one geezer works his way up to the building and tosses in a 25 pound satchel charge.
When the outraged L-T complains, the Plt Sgt grins and says, "the new fangled CQB BS
takes to long and we have to pee a lot".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top