JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
State law allows an FFL to release the firearm after 10 business days, if local LEA hasn't ok'd transfer earlier. But, I am told there are federal implications that most FFL's don't want to mess with.
It's sort of hit or miss. Some shops will only release if they know you well enough. But I know some that will regardless and others that flat out won't. If I was going to buy a gun during this fiasco I would ask what their policy is first

Many shops will release the firearm after the minimum days without hearing back from nics. Ask before you buy. Sportco in fife is one good example
It seems like a shop willing to do this could make a fortune with a little advertising but I don't know all the legal and civil ramifications. I'm sure they are smarter than I am...and of course, we shouldn't be needed to have this conversation.

It seems like a shop willing to do this could make a fortune with a little advertising but I don't know all the legal and civil ramifications. I'm sure they are smarter than I am...and of course, we shouldn't be needed to have this conversation.
Agreed. And it doesn't help that Store policy is all over the place. I've had some say certain things are perfectly acceptable and others swear up and down they can't do something. Even employees at the same shop will give you conflicting info. I won't ask a store to break the law but, a little consistency would be cool

Me and a bunch of others called it.. this "update" goes beyond government incompetence and low bidder tech install.. I truly think this sluggish "effort" is done as a means to bottleneck sales.
This is exactly why Oregon tried to target the waiting period release. Their playbook is on display but they'll just gaslight everyone and say we're looking too far into things..

Interesting. The wife of one of my ranch hands bought a pistol at the Cabelas in Yakima on Tuesday of last week. Got the call Friday afternoon that her background came back and she could pick it up.

Would like to hear from an FFL why they decide not to release after 10 business days. What are the federal issues involved?
This has been mentioned many times here by FFL holders. What they have said is NOT that its any kind of problem with the Fed's if they decide to let a hand gun or "assault rifle" walk after the 10 business days. The 10 days is a requirement from the State of WA and has nothing to do with the Feds. The law is written that the FFL has to give the state the time to say yes, no, or wait. If the FFL has not heard they "can" let the sale go. Now if the gun walks and then the FFL hears back they need to contact the buyer and say bring the gun back. This is what scares some dealers. The what will happen if the gun either does not come back or, worst case, the gun is used in a crime. Especially if the state says the buyer was prohibited for any reason. What the dealer is then looking at is lawyers. Can some "victim" sue them? Can our side show AG come after them? In either case the FFL would need to hire their own lawyers. So the FFL makes a few bucks off this sale. If they now have to spend god only knows how much on lawyers later? This is why I tell people who go nuts with anger at the FFL's they need to put themselves the dealers shoes. Its easy to site at a computer and shout the dealers are scum. Those shouting have nothing to lose. The real culprit here is the State law makers who make this mess and could care less as it costs them nothing.
As has been going on for a LONG time here, too many gun owners can not be bothered to pay any attention to what is going on with law makers here. Many gun owners support the people in power. Either by ignoring elections, or actually voting for them. Then when something finally effects them they get real mad at everyone except the law makers who made the mess. :s0054:

My ffl does say it is a problem with the feds that can affect his ffl license. I can understand why he wants to avoid possible hassles and lawsuits, but I frankly do not believe releasing the firearm per WA state law jeopardizes his ffl standing.

My ffl does say it is a problem with the feds that can affect his ffl license. I can understand why he wants to avoid possible hassles and lawsuits, but I frankly do not believe releasing the firearm per WA state law jeopardizes his ffl standing.
Anyone who has dealt with many FFL's for years can attest that many of them often do not seem to know the laws and rules. I suspect any here in WA telling customers that the Fed's will ding them if they let the hand gun walk may well be just hoping it will placate the buyer who is mad. "Sounds better" to say the ATF will come down on me rather than they are afraid of a problem with the State if something goes south badly.
Anyone asking also has to make sure they are speaking to the FFL too. I have seen over the top amazing things said by people who work in a gun shop. Often they appoint themselves experts because they work there. Some of what they come up with can be amazing.

Thanks for your understanding and perspective.
Just hope my ffl enjoys my $1000 revolver siting in his dining room all summer until this mess is sorted and Sheriff's backlog is caught up.
BTW...state Senator Lynda Wilson is all over this problem.

Thanks for your understanding and perspective.
Just hope my ffl enjoys my $1000 revolver siting in his dining room all summer until this mess is sorted and Sheriff's backlog is caught up.
BTW...state Senator Lynda Wilson is all over this problem.
Hopefully the damn system will get back up before then. It is frustrating as hell. Last two times Wife and I bought the Dealer just let us have the guns after the 10. No idea when he finally got the OK. We had been dealing with them from the time they opened though. They closed up shop now :( so not looking forward to next time we want to buy.

If our Guv and AG weren't anti gun fanatics they would allow a temporary alternate path for ffl's to get the Nics data.
But they'll resist anything that would help.
I may explore moving my firearm across town to an ffl that would honor the 10 day release option.

Just an FYI - while Washington state requirement apparently says after ten days the transaction can be completed, even if a determination is not made, the Federal NICS statute specifies three days.

In both instances, if a negative determination is made, it is incumbent on the FFL to have the buyer return the firearm.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I had a gift certificate "Sportsman's" otherwise I would have looked elsewhere. They said they wont release it, just have to start over again next Fri unless CCSO kicks in gear and hits the backlog.

Just an FYI - while Washington state requirement apparently says after ten days the transaction can be completed, even if a determination is not made, the Federal NICS statute specifies three days.

In both instances, if a negative determination is made, it is incumbent on the FFL to have the buyer return the firearm.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
My local pawnshop ffl policy is to release the hand gun after ten business days and if the buyer later gets a denial he contacts the buyer to return it and if he doesn't he notifies the le jurisdiction that did not properly run the background check and it is on them to retrieve the firearm. Not his problem and he's had it happen a couple times. LE is the one who didn't do their job. He followed the law

My local pawnshop ffl policy is to release the hand gun after ten business days and if the buyer later gets a denial he contacts the buyer to return it and if he doesn't he notifies the le jurisdiction that did not properly run the background check and it is on them to retrieve the firearm. Not his problem and he's had it happen a couple times. LE is the one who didn't do their job. He followed the law
Then by all means give him a shout out here!! I am sure he will not mind you mentioning his place for others who are searching in your area.

A real American hero!

Then by all means give him a shout out here!! I am sure he will not mind you mentioning his place for others who are searching in your area.
EZ PAWN in Port Angeles. His policy is on a sign on his counter. However he will not accept the semi-auto training on line certificate that does not show the trainers credentials like the one from the Vancouver shop so if that's a problem. get a different one or go somewhere else. Overall a good honest dealer and guy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top