Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Starting to refinish my Romanian AK-47 stock set

OP
Tony617

Tony617

Reactions
Almost got all of the heavy varnish off of the buttstock now. Maybe one or two coats of varnish remover to go then I will start the sanding process.

F8C90930-7904-419F-8E4D-FDF555F11CFB.jpeg

Compared to this before I started:

0E009318-A9B1-41EE-98C3-D3EDBF71AB0B.jpeg

Last edited:

turq

Reactions
Formbys Funiture Refinisher sweat it apply sweat and finish with tung oil.
Visit BiMart. For these things. Did three Fal kits and it works great. Gets heavy cosmoline out of the wood .Very volatile through best in an outside location with slight wind and USE gloves. 0000 steel wool.

OP
Tony617

Tony617

Reactions
Formbys Funiture Refinisher sweat it apply sweat and finish with tung oil.
Visit BiMart. For these things. Did three Fal kits and it works great. Gets heavy cosmoline out of the wood .Very volatile through best in an outside location with slight wind and USE gloves. 0000 steel wool.
I am using the instructions given on the WASR-10 website for the wood furniture refinishing project.

Refinishing AK-47 Woodwork | WASR-10.COM

turq

Reactions
It did say tung oil as an alternative, I wouldn’t use 100 grit you just have more sanding to get the “line scratches” out.
I would still use the Formbys Furn. Refinisher solvent to remove all that grease, not gel and water! I put it behind a wood stove till about 95 degrees then take it outside and clean with the solvent ; then repeat ; then repeat Do this until no more grease comes out, let dry for a day or two then see if any grease wet spots come out if so repeat. Dry then tung steel wool then tung wool tung. Dry for probably four days. Wax with bees wax ( Michaels craft store sells blocks of it) good waterproofing on any wood hunting stock. Or on the barrel to wood gap on a rifle you will be taking into snow(deep). Good Luck

OP
Tony617

Tony617

Reactions
The varnish is gone now but the stain is still on. I guess a good light sanding is in order now with various grades from 120 to 220 grain sandpaper.

5D049966-0CA8-43A9-A06B-A5856D768C99.jpeg

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Went to their event today and got to experience full auto fire from an AR w/ can! Could only...
    • YotaNut12
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    1.00 star(s)
    Went in today for their event which offered 1/2 price range time and full auto demo thro...
    • YotaNut12
  • Ed's Guns and Gear
    5.00 star(s)
    Bought a G29 from him a few years ago. Also did 2 ffl transfers there as well. Great guy and...
    • spectre1986
  • Revelation Arms
    1.00 star(s)
    A few years back, I had him thread the barrel on an AK. The threads were not aligned with the...
    • Howard1955
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    4.00 star(s)
    I found Oregon Rifleworks because I used to take public transit to Tigard and the Wes stops off...
    • corey_pdx