JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, that's the thing....I started with 6.5 Swede and .30-06 and imr 4064 and H-4895 are two of the top four or so recommended by people who load a bunch for those calibers.

Rocky Mountain Reloading has a reasonably priced (I think?) 500 bag O' bullets I should get. If they're still there. Problem is the HUGE disclaimer you have to agree with on their sites front page RE how many months it might be before you get you order.

Just ordered 500 55gr FMJs. That long wait time is for 9mm boolits. It shouldn't take too long for the .224.
RMR is one of my favorite sites to order bullets from. I just got in a shipment of .223 55 grain bullets. From the time my order was accepted, it arrived in 13 days.

I had ordered some 9mm bullets in December and it took until the end of January to get them.

My mailman hates me.

RMR is one of my favorite sites to order bullets from. I just got in a shipment of .223 55 grain bullets. From the time my order was accepted, it arrived in 13 days.

I had ordered some 9mm bullets in December and it took until the end of January to get them.

My mailman hates me.
4000 115 grain JHP .355 bullets weighs a hair over 65#s :D

I just got to looking at my primer situation and all I have for small rifle is Remington small Rifle No. 61/2. I have just short of a K at 970. And 200 Winchester Small rifle primers. I'm not sure either one of those are suitable for the AR15? My Lyman book book says Remington 71/2 and the Speer book is using CCI 400s. I'd be looking for a trade if anyone wants some small pistol primers or Large Rifle primers? Card for card. Maybe 300?

For what you are looking for, it would be hard to beat 25g of H335 under a 55 FMJ loaded to magazine length. I haven't used 4064 for anytning in 223. I would avoid Remington 6 1/2 primers for the 223, and stick with CCI 400/450s or Remington 7 1/2. As far as twist rate, you can use 52-77 grain bullets through a 1:7 twist. 1:9 would be good for 52-69 grain.

Ted

I don''t load a lot of .223 but I switched to Tac powder a few years ago. It meters very accurately and iv'e never had an inaccurate load using it, regardless of my bullet styles.

For what you are looking for, it would be hard to beat 25g of H335 under a 55 FMJ loaded to magazine length. I haven't used 4064 for anytning in 223. I would avoid Remington 6 1/2 primers for the 223, and stick with CCI 400/450s or Remington 7 1/2. As far as twist rate, you can use 52-77 grain bullets through a 1:7 twist. 1:9 would be good for 52-69 grain.

Ted
If I could bop over to BiMart, or Sportsman's, or anywhere for that matter, and get a bottle of Tac, 335 or BLC-2, I'd do it tomorrow! But we know that isn't likely. Sooo, hey maybe by the time I get to actually loading there'll be powder in stock!? Probably not though.

So your saying the Winchester small rife primers are also not recommended?

If I could bop over to BiMart, or Sportsman's, or anywhere for that matter, and get a bottle of Tac, 335 or BLC-2, I'd do it tomorrow! But we know that isn't likely. Sooo, hey maybe by the time I get to actually loading there'll be powder in stock!? Probably not though.

So your saying the Winchester small rife primers are also not recommended?
I've use all and any small rifle primers to load 223. Including magnum.

I've use all and any small rifle primers to load 223. Including magnum.
I know, I think? The problem "could" be a softer primer cup and a floating firing pin. You've never had an issue? The book used 335 with a magnum primer.

I know, I think? The problem "could" be a softer primer cup and a floating firing pin. You've never had an issue? The book used 335 with a magnum primer.
Never had any issues. Many tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands in my time loading 223/556.

Damn, I wish powder would come back into the stores! Considering that .223 is extremely popular, especially more in the last year, getting those recommended, proven powders, will be a bear.
Powder hasn't been too much of an issue for me. You just have to be diligent. Set up notifications on your favorite sites and jump fast when you get that email. Today MSS had H335, BLC-2 and SW Blackout. I missed out on all because I wasn't close to my phone, but someone got some!

Powder hasn't been too much of an issue for me. You just have to be diligent. Set up notifications on your favorite sites and jump fast when you get that email. Today MSS had H335, BLC-2 and SW Blackout. I missed out on all because I wasn't close to my phone, but someone got some!

Crap....I'm a frugal guy. I also have several calibers to play with, so I can wait on powder. If I could stumble on powder that wasn't $50.00 a pound and buy 10 pounds or more, I'd do that and sell a portion of it to recoup costs.

What is MSS?

Crap....I'm a frugal guy. I also have several calibers to play with, so I can wait on powder. If I could stumble on powder that wasn't $50.00 a pound and buy 10 pounds or more, I'd do that and sell a portion of it to recoup costs.

What is MSS?
MSS= Midsouth Shooters Supply (midsouthshooterssupply.com) Make an account and set notifications for products you're interested in. When they get them you'll get an email. Trust me, it works.

Also, I haven't paid $50/lb yet, but in between $35-45 depending on the powder. They do have to ship it to you after all.

Another resource is powdervalley.com. They don't have a notification system so you have to check everyday, but they are $5-10 cheaper per pound than most e-tailers.

MSS= Midsouth Shooters Supply (midsouthshooterssupply.com) Make an account and set notifications for products you're interested in. When they get them you'll get an email. Trust me, it works.

Also, I haven't paid $50/lb yet, but in between $35-45 depending on the powder. They do have to ship it to you after all.

Another resource is powdervalley.com. They don't have a notification system so you have to check everyday, but they are $5-10 cheaper per pound than most e-tailers.

Ahh. I should have known that. I haven't dealt with them before but have looked at 'em. I pretty much have what I need, and it just isn't fun looking at "Out of Stock" on every item, most places. I just took a look at Powder Valley. That's who I've mostly gone to in the past. I'm still using components from them from back to 2013-14 when stuff just started coming back after Sandy Hook.

I might set up that notification with Mid South, just for the fun of it.

Here's a nice chart from Hodgdon...
View attachment 883027
I find it odd that the chart shows Varget and 8208XBR for lightweight fast bullets. I have had better success with those powders with heavier 55 gr + bullets. Also IMR-4198 for military duplicate loads? The one powder I NEVER recommend for .223/5.56 for any bullet.
My personal preference was originally H-335, but then went to Ramshot TAC and haven't looked back. I load it with bullets from 40 gr to 77 gr and can't say a bad word about it. Perfect metering from my RCBS Uniflow, clean burning, accurate, good velocity and was very affordable and available until the last year or so. I prefer the ball powders in the medium burning range:
Ramshot TAC, Accurate 2200, 2230, 2460, Ramshot Exterminator, H-335, BL-C2 along with
Fine extruded powders: Accurate 2015, H-322, Benchmark, IMR-8208 XBR, Reloder 10x
As for IMR-4064, I trickle each charge, it is safe because I don't think you can get enough in a .223 case to approach dangerous pressure levels, and I have found some very good accuracy with 50 gr bullets in a 1 in 12" twist bolt gun. The downside ( along with the poor metering in a powder measure) is that you sacrifice a good 300+ FPS compared to a top load ball powder with most bullet weights. I am still planning on trying some with RMR's 69 gr BTHP, just to see if it might shoot lights out in my Stag Model 6 24" 1 in 8" twist heavy barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top