JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice looking setup. I might need to make some room for stuffand learn to organize better:D
Another question is do the dies interchange between the Lee setup and the Hornady ?
Is Standard 7/8"-14 Threaded Dies common to all the presses ?
Yes, all "modern" dies are standard (save for Dillon square deal that I'm aware of) .. same with press shell holders. The quick-change inserts are likely different though.
And you'd be surprised how little "footprint" a standard rig like you're considering takes up.

Nice looking setup. I might need to make some room for stuffand learn to organize better:D
Another question is do the dies interchange between the Lee setup and the Hornady ?
Is Standard 7/8"-14 Threaded Dies common to all the presses ?

RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and Lee are same thread pattern. I am sure others are as well. I can guarantee those are good.

That's good to know. I think I'll order die set for the 450, looks like there getting hard to find. At least it will work with whatever set I end up getting.

Lots of good advice here. Much appreciated!!

My first press was the Lee breech lock. I went with it cause of the shoe string budget I was on at the time. The Lee breech lock has the quick change bushings and that was a plus for me. I loaded 3006 for the M1 Garand. 223 for my AR. I used those rounds for high power matches. 243 win hunting loads as well as hunting loads for the 3006 rifle I have .
Would I sell my Lee breech lock No way.

My next press was the Dillon XL650 . I found I was shooting more than I could produce in a timely manner. Although getting over the buyers remorse ( cause of price) was difficult in the beginning. I reload for 223 and 45acp in mass quantities.

To sum it up there is room on my table for both a single stage press and a progressive press. I wouldn't be without either one.

You will figure out what works best for you. Good luck.
HotRod

Would this be a good set to start reloading? Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/74...oad-classic-single-stage-press-kit?cm_vc=J012

I may be loading 45/70, casull, belted magnums, 450 bush, 45 lc, maybe 10mm. As I get the dies.
In my opinion,after having that POS as my first progressive reloader,I wouldn't suggest that to anyone.
For a few dollars more you can get the Dillon 650 press
yeah say what you want,drink the blue coolaid or not.There is no comparison between the 2 presses
The Dillon just worked better.I had multiple problems with the Hornady and virtually none with the Dillon.I tweeked the Hornady constantly and the only problem with the Dillon was with 308 brass not dropping perfect and it ate components and spit out ammo faster than I could reload it
The Dillon primer alarm went off every 10=15 minutes and I was going slow to make sure it was working and feeding correctly.So that is around 400 rounds an hour at a slow pace.
Never even got close to that with the L@L. I did 556 on my single stage cause it was faster
You name the attachment,it's better on the Dillon
Buy once cry never with the Dillon,just from my personal experience

OKay, by now your head may be spinning. But some more thoughts.

What do you want in a powder measure? When I was looking for a faster press than my LnL Classic, I considered the Lee Progressives or Turret. The powder measures that came with them were based on disks that had certain capacities. They had a micrometer adjustment as well, but that had mixed reviews. The whole point to me of reloading was dialing in a exact load. Small changes in powder really affects grouping when you start zeroing in on your favorite load. I have both a RCBS Uniflow and Hornady and cant find a difference in their abilities yet.

Another big question is what scale suits your needs? I have a ohaus 10-10, same as RCBS different name. It works well and I have a old Hornady beam scale to check it when I want.

The importance you put into these two pieces depends on if you are reloading for the fun of it or if you want to be really anal about a perfect load for the best accuracy.

I'm thinking if I can gat a basic setup to start I can add better or more usable components as I get going and find out what I really need. May wind up buying everything twice :rolleyes: but that's what the classifieds are for:D. Sounds like a good scale would be something to add.

Buy a Lee turret - Remove the index rod (a 1sec process) and you have the simplicity of a single stage without the need to swap dies (index the turret by hand).

Buy a Lee turret - Remove the index rod (a 1sec process) and you have the simplicity of a single stage without the need to swap dies (index the turret by hand).

There's always that.
I knew you'd pipe up, you piper!
Indeed.. it slices, it dices, it's a single stage O press.. it's an automatically indexing turret oh my!

I started with a Lee Loader. Very slow, but cheap. Was not loading a lot in those days, so it was enough. Still had to get scale, calipers, and several other things. Moved to a Lee hand press. A little faster. More rounds in the same time. Was still using all the same scale, and calipers, and several other things. After several years, I got a Lee Turret Press. Kept using the same dies. Now I can load 100 rounds of pistol in 40 minutes. Rifle, not so quick, but still many more in the same time I used to do just a few in. So, I changed the press over the years, but all that other stuff is still the same. I still use that original RCBS 505 scale. It still has the original price tag on it. $38 dollars. Still working, fine. Some people say "buy once... cry once". Buy the top-O-line stuff first, and you'll never buy twice. I could never do that. Even today, I have to spread buying stuff out over time. No regrets here.

I started with three Hollywood presses and am still using all three of them! All were hand me downs that were bought in the late 40's and early 50's. I bet they have reloaded millions of rounds now!
I still use Hollywood dies and a whole slew of RCBS dies!

My grandfather bought the Hollywoods, at the time they were the top of the line..70 years later I am still using them to reload cartridges that will put them into the same hole!

Great - from practical recommendations to story time about near unobtanium. Exceedingly helpful, I'm certain.
:p

Not unobtainum at all! I can show you exactly where to get vintage Hollywood presses, that work as well as mine...
They are ignored these days for the most part! And really they don't cost very much!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top