JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You will also need a Calipers and a Bullet Puller (I like the Lyman Inertia over the RCBS). Not sure 45/70 needs trimming. But any rifle cases with a shoulder you will need a case trimmer.

I have a Hornady LnL Classic and Love it. I just upgraded to their Auto Progressive and like the quality on it as well. Never tried anything else to compare to, but I am happy with them.

I hope to get into this someday after we move.
I've seen a few vids of people reloading with just the minimum stuff. Looks like one of those things that people don't stay satisfied with just the minimum after a while though!
Been watching this character's vids recently since I got back my marlin 1894 44mag. He's all about casting/reloading. I don't think he's trying to be funny but he gets me laughing and a lot of info too!
https://www.youtube.com/user/FortuneCookie45LC

very good set,all but the one shot lube.I hear that if you read the directions you sono't stick cases,but I've read HUNDREDS OF POSTS about stuck rifle cases,and that as the lube they used.
You will need a case trimmer ,most likely,as even strt. walled rifle rounds will grow.

Almost any single-stage press will be good enough.
If I had to get a single-stage press (very good for rifle and infrequent loads), I would look at the Lee Challenger, the Hornady Classic, and the Forster Co-Ax. The only one I have is the Co-Ax.
If I had to get a kit, the Hornady would be my first choice.
For the Lee and Hornady, be sure to buy lots of die bushings. They are great things.
The Co-Ax doesn't need bushings. I thought they were a gimmick until I bought a new L-N-L AP and quickly ordered about 30 more bushings.
For your use, if a progressive was an option, I would really recommend the L-N-L AP over the Dillons, just for the ease and expense of cartridge conversions. Didn't give up my L-N-L AP until I had three 1050s with all the caliber conversions I would ever need. However, I doubt that you need a progressive press as you aren't shooting thousands of rounds of any given cartridge every year, I'll bet.
I still prefer my lube pad for rifle cases and a light spray of Frankford or Dillon spray lube for "hard to size" pistol cases.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I see I'll still have to get a few things besides the dies. The Dillon looks like a good setup but I have to consider the cost compared to how much I'll use it. The Lee press would be good too but I think buying everything piece by piece would maybe get too expensive. I plan to reload mostly the spendy and hard to get calibers. I wont be making mass quantities of ammo so I don't need anything with high capacity.
I'll probably get the Hornady set since it sounds like its not junk yet still cheap. If it turns out its not fun to reload:D, you'll see it in he classifieds.

If you ever think about selling if you don't like doing it Dillon probably holds the best resale value and Lee probably the worst.
If you have given it thought and enjoy shooting chances are you will enjoy reloading as well.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I see I'll still have to get a few things besides the dies. The Dillon looks like a good setup but I have to consider the cost compared to how much I'll use it. The Lee press would be good too but I think buying everything piece by piece would maybe get too expensive. I plan to reload mostly the spendy and hard to get calibers. I wont be making mass quantities of ammo so I don't need anything with high capacity.
I'll probably get the Hornady set since it sounds like its not junk yet still cheap. If it turns out its not fun to reload:D, you'll see it in he classifieds.
Sounds good. To amend my first post, I thought/assumed that that Hornady kit was cast iron so I posted a cast iron Lee and didn't really check if it's offered as a kit.
However, since that Hornady is alloy and keeping things apples to apples, here's a Lee alloy breech lock O frame kit..
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...k-single-stage-press-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I'll have to check out the Lee set. My friend gave me the little Lee Loader classic for 243 and it got me interested. I want to make sure I can get 450 bush dies for whatever I get in case they quite making that ammo.

I started on a shoestring budget when reloading. I wanted just like you the ability to load just one caliber to start (.300 Savage).

I knew I wanted to reload others and using s single stage die changeout was important and it should be quick and repeatable results in a snap.

The Hornady quick change and the Lee BreechLoc are good places to start. I went Lee because the cost difference allowed me to get more supplies (kinetic bullet puller, caliper).

I will agree that not many sell their Lee stuff. I now have My breech Loc and a turret press with many heads for quick caliber change.

Some want to drop a bunch of money quick on expensive equipment in a hurry to have the best money can buy at once.

Start with what's right for you.

No matter where you start if you load multiple calibers you will end up with a bench that's like this (be it green, blue or red press setups)
image.jpg

.the best money can buy..View attachment 251843
That's my contention and why I changed my original post from cast iron to alloy.. to keep things the same within a type/class.
I contend that the cast Lee is as good or better than any within that type and class and that Lee alloy presses are as good or better than any, within that class and type (alloy and cast O presses etc., respectively).
Anyway.. again, good luck.

Nice looking setup. I might need to make some room for stuffand learn to organize better:D
Another question is do the dies interchange between the Lee setup and the Hornady ?
Is Standard 7/8"-14 Threaded Dies common to all the presses ?

Some more thoughts. Check out reputation of manufacturer. In most cases, you will never have to worry about things breaking. But RCBS is spectacular on customer serivice, even for 1970's equipment you bought at a garage sale. Never had to call Hornady to find out.

Unless you need a progressive, save the cash. Which then rules out Dillon. I picked Hornady over Dillon since caliber changes were cheaper and I liked the press better. Matter of opinion I suppose. The Hornady AP was rated by some group as best buy for the money on progressives. That was the tipping point for me.

Nothing wrong with lee equipment. I have heard fit and finish is not as good, but that is hearsay. For dies and sizers, I buy lee, but other brands seem to be a slight step up on quality. Lee is definitely functional though.

You could always reach out to people here and go see their stuff in person and see it in action. If you want to see some Hornady equipment working and bullet casting being done. Come down to Salem. Heck I would even buy you a cold beverage.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top