Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Starting New Militia

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Riot, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

I'm starting my own militia...opinions, comments, suggestions are encouraged.

www.facebook.com/BentonCountyMilitia

The goal is to get a core group of individuals...then assign then fire-teams. This group will be A-Squad, they will be the team leaders of all the other squads assigned to them. The goal is to get A-Squad capable of taking charge in the absence of command and their goal is to teach their team how to do their job in the abscence of their leadership and so-on.
    I plan on linking up with the OathKeepers as well to ensure we have a organized structure of doing things and are held accountable for our conduct.

The name may change, I know there are other groups that claim to be Benton County Militia but the only people I've managed to link with were the Lightfoot 7/21st Militia that claimed to be the only guys in the area...and they fell apart so I'm grabbing the ball and running with it.

Chall49983 and Nesser VanNessers like this.
  2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

How long have you worked for the FBI? lol

3. Riot

I'd rather be upfront about our activities than sitting in the shadows.

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

bars have shadows.. what?

Modeler and djaziatic like this.
  5. Dornai

Dornai Vancouver, WA Active Member

Organizing local militia's isn't illegal. Advocating for removal of the federal government, or being a paramilitary organization is. The difference between a militia and a paramilitary organization is that the first advocates for the Constitution and the latter has no defined goals other than being an unofficial military organization. I'm fairly certain our State, Washington, prohibits the parade of civilians in the public sphere with firearms, however that does not assert that local militias are illegal.

edit; also, advocating against a specific race, et cetera, is illegal. However being a group of local civilians advocating for the Constitution and organizing groups to help out in cases of natural disasters, or to resist an occupation of enemies to the Constitution, is not illegal.

nwheavy75 and Nesser VanNessers like this.
  6. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Oh the part about removal of the federal government...hmmmmmm

7. Dornai

You're entitled to your personal political beliefs but advocating for the use of violence to remove the federal government is illegal. Not hard to understand.

randie and nwheavy75 like this.
  8. Riot

Just because you associate the word "militia" with violence, anti-government and racism doesn't mean that's what an actual militia is, Dornai.

9. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Where did the "advocating for the removal of the Federal Government" or racist parts come in? I don't see any of that in Riot's facebook page or anything I have seen him write on any forum, even those that do not provide public access.

Riot - can you clarify the purpose of the militia you are forming? I am unfamiliar with the role of independent militias, and I'm sure there are a lot of misconceptions out there.

Three Bars likes this.
  10. Dornai

You fail to understand my message then, Riot & 3MTA3. I was advocating FOR you, not against you, as the other posters were. I was clarifying that private militias are legal under Federal and State law... as long as you are not advocating for the removal of the government, advocating hate speech, et cetera...

Not to mention I'm part of our State militia - I know what an actual militia is, thank you.

I was responding to Wichika's "removal of the federal government... hmmmm" and the prior posters responses.

11. 3MTA3

Thanks for the clarification. For my edification and others not involved with a militia, can you tell us the purpose of a militia and when and how it would be used?

Three Bars likes this.
  12. Dornai

Under legal definition, Section 311 of US Code Title 10, entitled, "Militia: composition and classes" in its entirety:

"(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are —

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia."

The purpose of an organized or unorganized militia is to assist in the defense of the United States of America and the Constitution. Yes, defense against a tyrannical U.S. government is a purpose of the militia. However, more likely scenarios include defense against foreign occupiers, assisting in emergency response and reconstruction after natural disasters, or aid in defense against any immediate threat to the Constitution of the United States of America. The goal of a militia is to serve your community and the United States, however it may be.

The problem with private, civilian-ran militia's is you DO often have these nut-jobs that turn all "let's create an armed resistance against the government because New World Order conspiracy!!!" that give the name "militia" a bad reputation due to negative media representation. Not to say the government doesn't do some shady, anti-Constitutional things, but hardly to the point where armed resistance should be our response. It's not that bad, and I doubt it will be that bad in the foreseeable future.

edit: think Red Dawn, but less Hollywood. Resistance.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  13. 3MTA3

Thanks for your response. Naturally the press can be trusted to focus on the nut jobs and ignore the well regulated militias and attempt to blur the public's perception between legit militias and paramilitary racist/neo nazi, etc. organizations.

Does your militia coordinate with any govt agencies so it can be effectively deployed in the event of emergency or defense situation? How does/would that work?

Dornai likes this.
  14. Dornai

Spot on.

My militia is the State-regulated militia, also known as the Washington Army National Guard. It is, technically, a component of the U.S. Military, but we are a State-funded volunteer militia - the oldest component of the U.S. Military.

I'm looking to join a private, civilian-ran militia as well, however, for smaller, more local issues. To answer your question, I don't know how that would work with regard to a privately-operated militia. I'd imagine most officials would tell you to "let the professionals handle it".

My guess is, imagining a "Red Dawn"-esque scenario: Foreign military invades, quickly overwhelms nearby stationed U.S. Military, an enemy force is now gaining ground in the United States. Let's say your town in Oregon has been captured and the enemy flag is flown above your city. Your local militia would execute whatever their contingency plan is to resist the occupying force and reinstate the U.S. Constitution.

Now, a little less "apocalyptic": let's say a natural disaster; mudslide, earthquake, volcano eruption, what-have-you. If your militia is capable of helping with injured, the search for missing people, cleaning up wreckage and damage, et cetera, then they'd go to the area and volunteer to help.

That's at least how I imagine it playing out.

15. Riot

Apologies in advance, typing these replies on my phone...

1st of all, happy Independence Day everyone. I hope you all get to spend some time with loved ones.

2nd- my reasons for forming a group is less political than it is practical. Let me explain.

Although religion, politics and interests bring people together, they also split people. This isn't about Republican v. Democrat. This isn't pro or anti government. This is a group of people training together to be prepared for the worst.

3rd- I actually plan on doing everything above board. I'm talking about legitimizing everything.

*Make BCM a certified Non Profit organization
    *Make every team leader a certified, NRA firearms instructor (need an NRA counselor willing to certify or find a trainer willing to certify me as a counselor)
    *Host, free of charge, firearm training for the public
    *Provide free armed security for churches and other community events (still trying to secure a security company to vouch for this through DOL).
    *Get most members CERT certified in the event of a localized incident

That's the end goal...it's not going to be a bunch of military wannabes complaining about Obama and wearing Cammies, playing with guns. In fact, if you utter plans of shooting police, making explosives or other violence against others you'll be asked to leave, period. I plan on checking everyone's criminal background- not just a spot check of your CPL.

I'm prior military, prior Law Enforcement and I have a family to think about. Having said that, I have a lot to lose by associating myself with criminals and criminal activities so I will be cautious to say the least.

When I start getting A squad squared away I'll start posting my full name and a phone I can be contacted directly with.

This group is intended to be more organized than most, community supportive and above board- legally.

belcher, 8ball and Dornai like this.
  16. 3MTA3

Riot, you rock!

17. Riot

Thanks, but it's all talk right now until I start getting boots on the ground with projects. Getting tired of staying in limbo while the world burns.

If militias stay in the shadows they will always be seen as whatever the media portrays it to be and it will attract the fringe types more than your average patriot...so I have no other choice than to be out in the open with everything. Call me FBI, call me a gov sellout, I really don't care. You'll at least know that we're not the guys getting our doors kicked in by the ATF or sitting behind computer screens wearing pregnant cammies, chanting Alex Jones rhetoric and hoping someone else starts the fight against the system- but only as long as it doesn't screw up your WiFi connection.

Brutus57, Dornai and jluck like this.
  18. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

So a few things.... "militia" is on the bad word's list. I might suggest something a little more PC like "Community Organizer Training Association" or "Disaster Relief and Readiness Institute" something along those lines. Fact of the matter is, the word militia brings the mark of cain upon you, and it may turn off some of the good people, and attract some of the lunatics.

Another of the things I learned long ago: Avoid place titles in your group name. This allows things to spread further and wider.

I would also suggest getting a 501C3, this makes any donations tax deductible, it will also force you to be more organized, specifically when it comes to your board, that is you will have a president, a vice president, a treasurer, a secretary and the like. A fundamental thing when it comes to organizing any group is communication. The Tea Party and groups like it suffered image problems because you suddenly had lunatics getting in front of cameras saying "I'm the tea-party leader of the state and alex jones said obama is a space alien who doesn't have a birth certificate". The problem is, there was no organization that could come along and say "no, you just interviewed a nut-job who self-declared herself to that post".

Next, structure your training events around a real charity event. Example:

Today we're going to practice setting up a field expedient kitchen, we're going to do that by taking all this food that was donated to us as a 501C3, and we're going to deliver a hot meal to every homeless and hungry person we can find.

We recruited some doctors, nurse practitioners and others so we're going to have a medical clinic set up so the same people can come in for a checkup.

We will also be giving away care packages with food and toys for kids.

Frankly, at this point, if you carry guns and wear camouflage no one gives two s#1t5, because if you do an event like this every 6 months you're bullet proof. Just make sure you're not stealing from the donations basket.

At the same time, events like the above are what will be needed if a major disaster occurs. This will build more good will than you can shake a stick at. And in a major disaster, this is what you want, you want to be known as "the good guys" so you're not getting shot at by every paranoid local, and you can also use events like the above to recruit higher quality people.

However the real advantage of the 501C3 is you can now write off your ammo expenditures as charity work.

Joao01, sailorfej, wjv and 3 others like this.
  19. MikeSettles

MikeSettles Vancouver, Washington Active Member

Riot: We saw the same need here in Clark Co. and started doing something similar almost two years ago. The comments about people being alternately attracted or repelled by the term "Militia" are right on, even though (my opinion) The (Constitutional) Militia would be correct for every person who prepares, and then steps up to help in a constructive fashion when necessary.

Here is a group philosophy blurb that is sent to anyone wishing to work with us. (Adopt it, change it, ignore it):

We are ENTIRELY inclusive: No discrimination due to gender, ethnicity, age, infirmity, religion, etc. Everyone may participate, learn, and contribute as they can. The only "iffy" for us is "prohibited persons" with firearms, and they are welcome as long as they don't handle firearms. (Of course, three-time violent felons or mental hospital escapees: Probably not!)

Because of state statute which bars "private armies," our mode is that of a network of individuals who come together to learn and practice the skills necessary to survive and to assist ourselves, our community, state, and nation during emergencies and disasters - either natural or man-made. As a network, we have no chain-of-command, no hierarchy in our little group. I have been functioning as host and coordinator, but do not command anything. Anyone may hold meetings/training sessions as they wish.

The events we prepare for include a wide spectrum of possibilities, from helping the community during an ice-storm (happens often enough here), to assisting in search and rescue operations, to helping victims and maintaining order after a windstorm or other natural or man-made disaster, all the way to the Constitutional purposes for the Militia (Art. I, Sect 8): Repel foreign invasion, suppress rebellion, and maintain civil order. The framers did include "keep the government in check," in their writings, though this is not in either the Constitution or Statute, and we view this as a not very likely in any case.

We train with firearms, as we believe that everyone must be armed for their own self-defense (and that of the state: WA Constitution Art I, Sect 24) anyway - but our first training event was basic first-aid: Before we go out to play in the dirt, we must be prepared to help someone who gets injured, then get them to medical authority.

We hope to eventually become a recognized and useful asset to the county and the state, including perhaps a sheriff's liaison and participating in training and operations with them. There is a similar group forming in Cowlitz, working to educate, inform, and build skills necessary in emergencies.

We are not "a" militia: We are your neighbors who wish to be prepared to help ourselves, our community, state and nation.
    I hope that this gives you a good idea of who we are. You are welcome to join with us: We believe that expanding our network strengthens the greater community.

cooper likes this.
  20. MikeSettles

MikeSettles Vancouver, Washington Active Member

Murky water there.

Art. I Sec 24 guarantees the "right of the individual to keep and bear arms in defense of self and THE STATE." However, the final sentence in this paragraph states that this "right" can't be used as authority to raise "private armies."

Then there is the statute mentioned above which precludes groups of citizens from "parading in public with arms."

Finally, the Militia statutes preclude ANY armed organizations (militia) other than those RECOGNIZED by the State - which means the National Guard (Federal force maintained by the State), State Guard (no weapons, unpaid volunteers), and Unorganized Militia ("that pool of able-bodied 17-45 year old men who are available for selective service").

Authorized Militia come under the State Military Department at Camp Murray. Anyone called to State Active Duty immediately comes under the State Military Code (similar to the UCMJ), though authorized Militia do enjoy some immunities: Pointing a weapon at someone else while in training does not constitute "assault," for instance (as it does us plebeians).

Washington sheriffs have a constitutional duty to "defend" their counties, but have no constitutional or statutory linkage with "The Militia." They only have sheriff's office deputies that they can legally call on, and they can "deputize" citizens. Sheriffs also don't report to/come under the MilDep, and (as independently elected public servants) don't work for the Governor/State Police either.

Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, and Coast Guard Auxiliary are all Federal appendages of their respective services, and cannot be called by any local government officials.

As you can see: A bit thorny on the legalities, eh?