JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've decided to start my first AR "build". I use quotes because it will likely be just a piecing together of complete upper and complete lower, but we'll see.

I ordered the following upper on sale at Palmetto State Armory For $419 shipped:
<broken link removed>
Seems like a great deal, what do you all think? I realize it could end up being heavier than I expected, but it seems like even the most basic of complete uppers start at around $400. With the nice barrel and free-float mid-length handguard, it seemed too good to pass up. I realize it is pretty backwards to ask if something is a good deal AFTER you buy it.

Speaking of backwards, I started with the upper and now need to get the lower, BCG, and charging handle. I prefer to get a completed lower but depends on which is cheaper. I'm lazy and hate buying one-time use tools so if I can get a complete lower for not that much more than the sum of the parts then I'm in.

How much does which you buy matter on the following:
1. Stripped lower receiver. Lots available in $100-$150 range, is there a difference?
2. Lower parts kit.
3. Bolt carrier group. Either way I have to buy this.
4. I assume charging handles are all good, just different ergonomics?

My main motivation to build is to get the most gun for my money. I know I can buy several off the rack for around $700 but I want something more unique and I think I can do that for close to the same money. I should add that I don't have much experience with ARs in general, so I am open to a learning experience.

Anybody have experience with PSA stuff in general? They seem to have a wide range of options when it comes to the parts kits and bcg. Hard to tell what's good or what to look for.
As far as uppers and stripped lowers they seem to be solid across the board.

PSA quality depends what you buy. Their premium "imo quite a bang for the buck" line of products are quite nice as I have a premium upper and my friend has two both of us have been into ARs since the early 1970s. I actually looked at that upper and I would buy it without reservation. Buy a premium quality bolt assembly because it is the heart of the AR and the PSA lowers and lower build kits Trigger groups are really good and way better than DMPS or Cmmg parts from experience. 7075 charging handles are almost twice as strong as 6061. The same thing with the receiver extensions. Though the receiver extension may be a safe place to save $$$ but either 7075 or 6061 alloy receiver extension make sure it is a mil spec and NOT commercial. That AR build is way way higher quality that any $700 off the shelf AR on the marker.

I used a BCM 14.5 middie complete upper on a Aero lower with a PSA LPK, BCM charging handle and an ACT trigger. I am happy with the way it shoots, paid more during the panic but I got all the pieces over several months.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top