Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Starting a Colt Handgun Collection, What Colt or other Handguns do you have?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by PROSPECTOR1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. PROSPECTOR1

PROSPECTOR1 Vancouver, WA Active Member

I'm starting my first Colt Handgun Collection with a 1912 1st year edition Colt 45 Commercial serial, serial #1623 and a 1892 Model Colt DA 38 Army serial# 1601.
    I know there's many great Colt handguns out there. What do you have to share?

colt45Commercial2.jpg
    1982.jpg

2. chrislind2

chrislind2 Springfield, Oregon Member

Colt453.jpg
    First Colt in 30 years, I guess I could say it could be the first in a new "collection", I hope.

3. PROSPECTOR1

That's really a nice lookig Colt New Agent you have. What do you like most about it? The ones I have I don't think I'll ever shoot but the next Colt I get will for sure be a shooter.

4. chrislind2

I bought this one for carry. It has trench sights, which is good for carry but not so good for range work. I like the size and it is reasonably accurate, more so with good sights I'm sure. It becomes a little hard on the hands after about 80+ rounds at the range, at least for me. I fired about 150 rounds and then it wasn't fun anymore. It is single action only, so you either have to carry it cocked and locked or cock the hammer if you need to use it.
    I am considering getting a DA hammer-less model for carry, but I will have to save some money for awhile if I do that. Nothing against this Colt, but I may look at Kimbers next time also.
    I recently put Colt Defender grips on mine and it is much easier to hold on to. Looks great with the wood grips though.

5. sheepman

sheepman Las Vegas NV Member

I have a Colt Trooper MK III, a Huntsman and a 1911 MK IV series 80. The Colts are great but I carry a Glock.

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

None, unfortunately...

7. PROSPECTOR1

I think it would get the job done if needed with no problems, I carry compact or full size and have both single and double action. I have a Kimber Ulter Tactical that I use sometimes as a carry. I haven't figured out yet what I like the most... I wish I had more money to work with.

8. PROSPECTOR1

Sheepman you have a nice setup as well. Post some pics if you have any to share...Thanks

9. zane

zane Vancouver, WA Member

Just a late 80's 1911 Combat Elite, it's a great shooter though.

10. PROSPECTOR1

Redcap it only a matter of time but if you have anything other than Colt I would still like to hear about it... The more I talk with members the more I learn...

11. PROSPECTOR1

Zane thats nice! you guy are are starting to make me drool with all these nice guns..Thanks for sharing and post pics anytime!

12. sealine

sealine Oregon Well-Known Member

Here's the very first Colt that I've ever owned. It was given to me by my grandfather about a year or so ago. Its a Model 1900 with the rear sight/safety.

Funny story that goes along with this gun is that my grandfather worked in a lumber mill for years. One day he was eating lunch when one of his co-workers came walking through the mill carrying this Colt in the holster. When my grandfather asked him where he was going with the pistol? The co-worker replied, "I'm gonna take it out back and throw it in the dumpster. I'm afraid my grandkids are gonna find it hidden in the house and hurt themselves with it." My grandfather gave him $5 bucks for it and brought it home. :laugh:

Colt%201900%20008.jpg

13. chrislind2

Wow, I like those kinds of stories. Came upon a few treasures that way but nothing as good as that Model 1900. Bought an old pistol from a guy at the sawmill I worked at, but it was nothing special, I repaired it and traded it for a motorcycle, fixed that up and then traded it for a Winchester 30/30 lever action octagon barrel rifle. It didn't have a saddle ring so it wasn't worth a fortune, but I did get $800 for it which I needed at the time. Still wish I had been able to keep that rifle.

14. PROSPECTOR1

sealine thanks for sharing a great story and a gun from your grandfather that's priceless!

15. PROSPECTOR1

chrislind2 you have a talent for trading I wish I had!

16. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I have a nickel plated python.
    Great shooter

17. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here are a couple of my favorites.
    The 1968 1911 National Match was given to me, after digging it up out of the ground, after being buried in an ammo can before Y2K by a late friend of mine. Heck of a treasure hunt that was, but worth it.
    The Huntsman was given to me unfired, new in box by an elderly gentleman that was moving into a retirement home. I was painting his house at the time, and he walked outside and asked if I wanted it.
    The Python and Officers model had less than twenty rounds through both of them when I bought them off the original owner.
    The Commander was damaged when I bought it, so I had Mike G up in NW Washington do a Cerakote finish on it.

18. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

Same as Redcap except fortunately.

19. chunkeymonkey66

chunkeymonkey66 chehalis Highway to Hell

Have a 1923 Colt commercial 1911. i would be curious what you paid for your 1912. Plus I have a series 70 national match made in the 80's thats pretty mint too. Havent shot either, not sure I will. Have a smith 1911 and a kimber to keep me busy. Plus I now carry a Walther PPQ, that thing is the cats meow for me lately.

20. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

A 1991 (1911A1) compact .45 ACP and a Agent .38 Special.

Hoping to eventually add a .45 LC, a Python, and a WWII era 1911A1.