JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to pick up my first Glock in the next couple of weeks, my first pistol for that matter, and I'm not sure what to get. I'm split about 70/30 between a G17 and a G19, only wavering because this will be used for CCW once I have dropped off the paperwork and gotten the license. People seem to consider the 19 easier to carry, though I have read a lot that the 17 can be carried successfully. I'm not as worried about physical comfort as having the most comfortable firearm if I ever actually need it.

I'm fairly certain I will wind up going with the G17, but what I do not know about is the generation. My father owns a GenIII 17 and a GenIII 19, and has been nothing but happy. In general, people seem happy with the GenIII models. I have also seen some complaints about GenIV models shortly after they were released, but have not found any more recent posts on where things stand now, leading me to assume that Glock took care of the issues. The grip plates do make me a bit nervous about them, simply because that seems like an unnecessary extra.

Anyone have both a GenIII and GenIV 17 or 19? Any thoughts on the differences between the two, and whether one is hands-down better than the other? I know I want to buy new, for whichever I wind up getting, so being able to find one used for really cheap is not a big concern. Saving $50-100 on one model over the other new also isn't a concern. I just want the best model possible.

Again, I'm not worried about the differences between the 17 and 19. Eventually, I will probably own both. I don't intend / want to have the 17 and the 19 in both GenIII and GenIV.

I have had the G19 in both gen 3 and 4 and prefer the gen 4 if I had to pick between the 2 Glocks. I would never again throw my hard earned cash away on another one but if those were my only choices it would be the gen 4. Reason being grip size is noticable different along with recoil. The one thing I did not like about the gen 4 vs the gen 3 is the grip texture. You have to have a shirt between your bare skin and the gun if you plan on holstering it on your side.

I shot a Gen 4 G19 last summer and it was actually uncomfortable to shoot because of the texture on the grip (for some reason my pinky on my strong hand hurt a little from it). I love my Gen 3 G34 (same frame as the G17), so any future Glocks I might get I'll be looking for Gen 3.

Edit: I don't know what part of Washington you live in, but The Marksman in Puyallup has a number of guns for rent at their indoor range. That's where I tried a Gen 4 G19 & Gen 3 G17. West Coast Armory in Bellevue also has a number of rental guns to try. Rental Firearms at Bellevue Gun Club

I prefer the grip size and texture of the Gen 4 over the Gen 3. If you carry In The Waistband you WILL feel the texture against your skin but I have gotten used to it and it does not even bother me. It did take some getting used to. The bigger mag release of the Gen 4 is a BIG PLUS too. My philosophy: Adapt and learn to carry the full size first. Then going smaller is a piece of cake.
I have read lots of issues Glock had with Gen 4 especially with the G19 (fail to feed, stovepipes, brass ejecting around eyes and forehead). I believe they have worked out those issues with new production guns and upgrades to older Gen 4's
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Edit: I don't know what part of Washington you live in, but The Marksman in Puyallup has a number of guns for rent at their indoor range. That's where I tried a Gen 4 G19 & Gen 3 G17. West Coast Armory in Bellevue also has a number of rental guns to try. Rental Firearms at Bellevue Gun Club

Thanks for the info, just not close enough for me. I am thinking I will need to try at least a Gen4 and Gen3 17 side by side, if not also the Gen4 19. Only issue there is cost, the local place is ~$20 / gun + $20 for range time + ammo, so that's near $100 just to try the guns. I definitely think it is important to do that side-by-side, the cost just stings. Granted, an extra $100 is better than getting a model that isn't the best fit.

All of these responses have made me less concerned about the mechanical issues experienced in the early batches of Gen4 9MMs, with the understanding that there's always the chance that I get a dud / defect and have to ship it to Glock to sort out no matter what model I get. Seems like the bottom line now will just be personal preference for fit and feel. Not a lefty, so that's out, and the grip seems to be a personal preference issue. If nobody has had any issues with the grip adjustments on the Gen4, I'm going to be stuck making this choice on my own now!

Now to just figure out when and where I can try out both generations of 17s side by side. And getting to the Sheriff's office to drop off that paperwork.

I would go with Gen4. I like the rough texture, I like the fact that you can change grip size, and I like the duel recoil spring (RSA). I do have a G23 and the duel recoil spring really helps. I also have a Lonewolf conversion barrel so I can shoot 9mm out of it and it's really nice and it's like having a G19. The bigger mag release button is nice too and the finish on the slide is also a plus. On my pistol.... the recoil spring that came with it was fine, I had no issues after 500 rounds but when I found out that Glock was doing the latest recoil spring assembly exchange, my pistol qualified and I ended up with the newest RSA and after a few hundred more rounds my Gen4 G23 is still reliable as heck.

I always say this and I will say it again... if you are able to qualify for the LEO discount and there is a store that honors the factory LEO discount you can save some money that way.... or maybe if you have a family member or a friend that can get the LEO discount, you can do a private sale if he or she can get it for you. Security, EMT, and I believe active military qualifies for the discount. I got my G23 for $455 with factory night sights and three mags. If I didn't want the night sights, it would have been $398 for my Glock. Also the Galco light shoulder holster is very nice and comfortable..... for $70 it's the best conceal carry holster I have ever had.... got mine from lapolicegear.com and it came with a free Galco hat wooooot lol.

Why is it that you want a Glock in the first place? I know it's a super popular sidearm but don't get it becuase your buddy said to or something you read. Go to the gun range and spend some cash and shoot the guns. Try other guns too such as the XDm, XD M&P or any other. Glock may be the most popular but not always the best choice for everyone. I bought one thinking I would like it and hated the way it shot compared to other guns but thats just me. As much as I can't stand Champion in Kent, they have free gun rentals on Wed. all you have to do is buy there ammo. Whatever you do don't double tap or shoot too fast because they get all weird on you.

Why is it that you want a Glock in the first place? I know it's a super popular sidearm but don't get it becuase your buddy said to or something you read. Go to the gun range and spend some cash and shoot the guns. Try other guns too such as the XDm, XD M&P or any other. Glock may be the most popular but not always the best choice for everyone. I bought one thinking I would like it and hated the way it shot compared to other guns but thats just me. As much as I can't stand Champion in Kent, they have free gun rentals on Wed. all you have to do is buy there ammo. Whatever you do don't double tap or shoot too fast because they get all weird on you.

+1

I'm glad I rented and shot a Glock before I bought one. Saved me time and money, but that was years ago. Probably 2003 or so, so no clue what gen that might have been. The newer ones might be less offensive to my hand now.

The Gen 4 texture is too rough for me, it feels kinda "sharp". Both my Glocks are Gen 3, in fact I just bought a used one from Keith's because they were all out of brand-new Gen 3's.

All my 3rd Gen guns get grip tape since they are too slippery, the 4th Gen texture is just perfect for me.

So basically, try before you buy and get what feels good to you.

One other thing, some accessories (lasers, conversion kits) may or may not be available for your Gen 4 right now. I'm sure they will in the future, you may just have to wait a little while.

Rich7944 said:
+1

I'm glad I rented and shot a Glock before I bought one. Saved me time and money, but that was years ago. Probably 2003 or so, so no clue what gen that might have been. The newer ones might be less offensive to my hand now.

Don't get me wrong, I have every intention to try before I buy. Simply narrowed it down based upon what I have read, what I am looking for, and the advice I have gotten.

-Pistol over Revolver
-9MM over larger calibers
-Consistent / Reliable
-Widely available (parts, gunsmiths, purchase)
-Relatively Simple
-Track record of warranty service

Advice wasn't from a buddy, I actually have none that are into guns. (Sad.) None that are local at all, for that matter. It was from my father, which, ten years ago I might have considered to be advice worth less than that from a buddy (on any subject) but since I have largely changed my opinion of that. (Older and wiser, something like that.) He trained me to shoot as a kid, he currently owns several revolvers and pistols (and other items) of varying shapes, brands, and calibers, and he has a good understanding of what I'm looking for, and why. (If it weren't for him, I'd also only associate Daewoo with cars, rather than also with firearms!)

Does my father's advice rank higher than my firsthand experience? Absolutely not. If I do not rent other guns on my first trip, I will absolutely make a second trip if anything doesn't feel right about the Glocks I test out. If one of the Glocks feels really good, then I probably won't bother with trying others. Even at that point, another firearm might be a better fit, but then I have an excuse to shop around in a couple years. (Or sooner, if the economy ever improves... :s0114: )

modeler614 said:
So basically, try before you buy and get what feels good to you.

One other thing, some accessories (lasers, conversion kits) may or may not be available for your Gen 4 right now. I'm sure they will in the future, you may just have to wait a little while.
I had noticed that when looking at holsters and other accessories, Gen4 still seems to have a bit less support as Gen3. It is on my mind, but at this point, not too worried about after-market stuff, so that doesn't bother me much so long as things come out eventually. I'm sure I will want to tweak things here and there as time goes by, no matter what handgun I settle on, but for starters I just want the stock fixed sites and nothing else. Some sort of night sites are definitely on my mind, but not much more than that, and even that will come after a good few range trips.

A laser sounds nice, but I want to make sure that it feels like an extra, not a need, so I never come to rely on it. First thought I had when I saw those is that I would hate to come to rely on one only to have it fail when I actually needed it. This may simply be the paranoia of someone that has never used a laser sighting system, but I'm pretty comfortable with that paranoia.

+1

I'll second this. When I turned 21 I wanted to buy a handgun, so I rented a Glock and hated the feel. Ended up with an XD and it has been a perfect gun for 7 years and probably 5000+ rounds.

It takes me time before I decide if I like a gun or not. I have to go and shoot a few hundred rounds before I decide and carry them for a few days. I have had the G19 gen 3 and 4 plus the G23 and could not fall in love with any of them. They were just on the ok list. I carried the XDm and the XD and they were fantastic shooters but too bulky to carry. Found the M&P compact to be the best for me to carry and shoot in fact I liked it so much I bought the fullsize and plan on adding night sights and Apex trigger kit to it. It cost me a bubblegum load of money to figure out what automatic I liked best, wnet through a few others in the meantime.

Hey APF if your close to portland come down and shoot my G19 gen 4 and see what you think. Also I believe most or all gen 4's came from the factory with a harder trigger pull but thats nothing a trigger kit cannot fix and then you can dial it in to what is comfortable with you.

Hey APF if your close to portland come down and shoot my G19 gen 4 and see what you think. Also I believe most or all gen 4's came from the factory with a harder trigger pull but thats nothing a trigger kit cannot fix and then you can dial it in to what is comfortable with you.

If we coordinate right you can shoot my Gen 3 G19c at the same time.

Greg

I'm looking to pick up my first Glock in the next couple of weeks, my first pistol for that matter, and I'm not sure what to get. I'm split about 70/30 between a G17 and a G19, only wavering because this will be used for CCW once I have dropped off the paperwork and gotten the license. People seem to consider the 19 easier to carry, though I have read a lot that the 17 can be carried successfully. I'm not as worried about physical comfort as having the most comfortable firearm if I ever actually need it.

I'm fairly certain I will wind up going with the G17, but what I do not know about is the generation. My father owns a GenIII 17 and a GenIII 19, and has been nothing but happy. In general, people seem happy with the GenIII models. I have also seen some complaints about GenIV models shortly after they were released, but have not found any more recent posts on where things stand now, leading me to assume that Glock took care of the issues. The grip plates do make me a bit nervous about them, simply because that seems like an unnecessary extra.

Anyone have both a GenIII and GenIV 17 or 19? Any thoughts on the differences between the two, and whether one is hands-down better than the other? I know I want to buy new, for whichever I wind up getting, so being able to find one used for really cheap is not a big concern. Saving $50-100 on one model over the other new also isn't a concern. I just want the best model possible.

Again, I'm not worried about the differences between the 17 and 19. Eventually, I will probably own both. I don't intend / want to have the 17 and the 19 in both GenIII and GenIV.

I owned a Glock 23 Gen III model years ago that I sold. At the time, I just didn't like the ergonomics of the gun very well, and wanted to try different brands. Recently I was having a hard time finding what I felt like the perfect CCW pistol would be for me, and the G26 was getting so many rave reviews that I picked one up in the Gen IV configuration. The gun feels great in my hand, the size of the grip is great, and I LOVE the new mag release. I'm still not crazy about the grip angle, and my knuckle really rubs on the underside of the trigger guard, but overall this is a great little carry gun. My only real legitimate complaint is the texture of the grip against my side. I dress casually most of the time, and don't wear a t-shirt under my t-shirt, so unless I am using a holster with a full backing the Gen IV feels like someone massaging me with sandpaper. A couple of days ago I decided to move up in caliber, and picked up a G30. Since it has not been released to the general public in the Gen IV configuration yet, I picked up a Gen III. If you don't already know, the G30 is now made with the same spring assembly, trigger, has the same size grip as the Gen IV without the extra backstrap, and even comes with Gen IV mags. The only differences between the GIII, and GIV in the G30 model is the grip texture, and wider mag release. Carrying the Gen III is waaaay more comfortable than the Gen IV, however, the mag release alone is a huge factor for me, and I think that I'll end up getting the G30 in a Gen IV configuration when it is released. (providing I can find one) and sell the Gen III. So although the grip texture is annoying to carry, it does feel great to shoot with, and the Gen IV has the mag release that I want. Both are really great guns, but I'm afraid the Gen IV features are worth it to me for a little pain.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top