JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for recommendations on a moderately priced beginners crossbow. As for application, I live in somewhat of an urban housing development (so I can't discharge a firearm) but twice last summer had a coyote hanging out in my tiny backyardaking eye contact with me through my livingroom window. So won't be shooting it a ton, but need something that will "get the job done".

KTM,
I have been thinking about this for a couple of days. I think you would have to have a whole bunch of time on your hands to practice and even then you would still be lucky to get it to drop on the spot without yelping its fool head off and letting all your neighbors know.

Hmph. I really want to refute that, but ultimately you're probably correct.

It would be such a clean silent kill when I play it over in my mind....

Looking for recommendations on a moderately priced beginners crossbow. As for application, I live in somewhat of an urban housing development (so I can't discharge a firearm) but twice last summer had a coyote hanging out in my tiny backyardaking eye contact with me through my livingroom window. So won't be shooting it a ton, but need something that will "get the job done".

try a sling bow

How to make a Sling Bow - YouTube

just use a snare, much cheaper and should be a silent kill. as a plus, it wont kill it, unless its invading your living area.

i think the best solution would be to trap it some how, then release it in the nearest appropriate rural area. being as it lives in an urban area, you cant eat it without worrying about where it has been or what its been eating and you really shouldnt kill it if you have no plan to eat it. it may be a threat to your home but its a very low threat.

im sorry but i cant say i have any respect for that view, youre talking about a predator doing what predators do. its still a living creature and should be given respect solely because its a living creature. it doesnt matter what other coyotes have done to your families lively hood.

maybe call animal control and have them deal with it, if your not interested?

I totally respect them as being skilled predators. Also for being one of the most intelligent creatures of Gods creation. Yet I will also never pass up an opportunity to turn one into pink mist.

Killing out of bitter hatred, poplation control, or just for the sake of mass coyote genocide. One could consider it many things and morally judge accordingly. I'm not refuting what you're implying, nor am I going to apologize for my point of view.

If it's in your backyard, it seems it is already a problem. Seems like the most respectful thing for the coyote and any anti hunting neighbors would be an instant kill shot. A head shot with my Benjamin .22 (up to 1100fps). More than enough for this problem. Much more efficient and quieter kill than the crossbow. (Quieter as in less howling or screaming in pain) Hard to make an instant kill with a starter crossbow. I believe in one shot, one kill.

I'm also assuming within 25-50 yard?

kinda sounds like killing it for the sake of killing it.
Well, since it's not in the wild, doing what wild things do, and is instead, roaming a neighborhood and sponging off humans by depriving them of their pets etc., I have no problem with killing it for the sake of killing it.

Now, if Mr. KTM decides to go into the critters natural habitat, and starts slaughtering them and just leaving them to rot, that's different.

But from what I read, he's having a problem with them in HIS YARD, and it seems to show no healthy fear of humans.
Not good, for kids, or pets, or even adults that might be feeding their animals or taking out the trash.

Even the parks service kills critters when they get too used to human interaction.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top