JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have decided to purchase a AR10. I know next to nothing about these rifles bit know a little about m1as and fals
I bought a ruger ar556 that fits my needs well and it was low price rifle that is dependable . I am looking for a ar10 with a 20" barrel. What should I expect to spend? I believe most ar10s are proprietory so I don't want expensive hard to find magazines. Is DPMS any good? This will be used aa a truck gun so it needs to be reliable. Please educate me.

If you are only planning on buying one and sticking with it I would not buy the cheapest thing you can find. "starter" to me implies that you might buy something then buy something else later. Why not just buy a better rifle to begin with?

For a fairly low buck but high quality rifle I really like the Aero stuff.

Personally, for a truck gun I would pick a 16" barrel but if you really want a 20" they are out there.

M5E1 Complete Rifle, 20" CMV Barrel | Aero Precision

As far as proprietary, yes and no. Mags are not much worry, Just buy a SR25 pattern rifle that takes Pmags (which are most)

Most parts are for this platform. All Aero rifles are the SR25 platform.

I bought parts for an AR10 build and built it myself (well put together) it's as easy as an AR15 and I can't say enough good things about the Aero Precision stuff. I bought a different barrel from Facon arms, but all the rest of the rifle is Aero and Magpul.

Love it, it wasn't cheap, but after a year I have no desire for anything else.

My Ruger SR556 has been such a great firearm and that's what drove my decision to purchase an SR762 when I began looking for an AR10.

It does not, however, meet your barrel length requirement. I'm not concerned about accuracy beyond 300 yds. Yes, the groups get larger but not so much as to totally make the firearm ineffective. If I wanted sub MOA accuracy beyond that distance, I'd pick another rifle.

i recommend any DPMS style platform. having one myself i can attest to how awesome it is to have a 308 semi.

my LR308 recon shoots MOA or better with handloads out to 550yrd with 16" barrel. after that its me that affects the shot. ive rang steel at 1022yrd with it.

Palmetto state always has the ar308 platform on sale. a buddy of mine just got a complete blem308 lower and a 20" complete 6.5CM upper. all said and done it was around $700(transfer and BGC at FFL was $20 total) for gun only. hard to beat that.

PMAGS work with the lower. he said an AICS would work but it fit kinda tight

ive shot it. shoots tight groups. seems well built.

and the best part: PSA SHIPPING DIDNT TAKE FOREVER SURPRISINGLY!! he got the upper in 3 days and the lower was at the ffl in 4

I have decided to purchase a AR10. I know next to nothing about these rifles bit know a little about m1as and fals
I bought a ruger ar556 that fits my needs well and it was low price rifle that is dependable . I am looking for a ar10 with a 20" barrel. What should I expect to spend? I believe most ar10s are proprietory so I don't want expensive hard to find magazines. Is DPMS any good? This will be used aa a truck gun so it needs to be reliable. Please educate me.

Palmetto state armory for $700, your search is over.

The gen 2 models are all to spec. The original gen 1 models had some development pains, my brother in law bought an original one and couldn't get a replacement trigger to fit. I put a larue trigger in mine and a Magpul BAD lever.

If you watch the sales you can get one for $700 that has a nice Magpul stock and grip too, better than the tapco stuff anyway.

Palmetto is Great I put one together for 459.00 thats right 459.00 then i spent 80.00 on a Rock River 2 stage National match trigger and it's sweet
I can get those triggers for you as well

IMHO there are so many different ways you can go. What do you want it for? You can build it yourself or go buy a Palmetto State for $700. Or you can be like me and have one custom built.:D

5D6875E8-305C-4391-B7A2-F6AA76CD6AA1 (1).JPG

Since that picture was taken I have upgraded the glass, trigger and grip. Let me tell ya that thing slings the brass just ask @Kruejl :oops:

Just got this flyer from Palmetto State Armory ( GEN2 PA-10 Complete Railed Upper $399.99 ) free shipping
then you order the lower 159.99 ba-da-bing you have and entry leval AR 10

It's good to know about DPMS GII if you are just in the market.
It's a little more compact than the standard pattern 308AR and a fairly new to the marketplace.
Also the 6.5 Creedmoor is a chambering to consider if you want something other than 308.
Slide12.jpg

the g2 IMO is a neat idea but having so many proprietary parts steered me away from it. not TOO much weight savings for me to want one over a standard LR308. i carried my dpms recon gen 1 with supressor an 30mm vortex viper for 6 days hunting. no big deal with the blue force gear saw sling i have on it

I like Armalite (Eagle). The AR10A was the original. The AR10B was developed in response to the AWB so they could use converted M14 magazines. The bugs were eventually worked out, but the damage was done. I have (3) of the "B" versions. I replaced all magazine springs with the Wolf +5% springs and no more FTF. Now that Armalite is again making the "A" version, you can use reliable P-mags. The old is the new again.
*edit*
Before Armalite went under and after Eagle Arms acquired the name, they did lots of development and improvement which lead to the proprietary design. Whatever choice the OP makes, don't go cheap. I have a few cheap guns that I never touch any more. They aren't even worth enough worth enough to sell. Get a good one.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads