JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems 1911s have an entire genre to themselves. I can spend from $600 -> thousands. I also understand most everyone modifies things later.

Given the huge market for aftermarket parts and mods, to what extent does it makes sense to start "cheap" and build up as money and opinions build?

I'm kind of thinking how 10/22 work: you can spend $180 and have fun immediately. Most everyone adds an extended mag release and auto-bolt release, but of course there's no limit to upgrades.

Obviously 1911s have multiple manufacturers and form factors. What's a sensible way to get started and potentially build on later?

I have heard good things about the RIA 1911's as well as the STI Spartan. For not a lot more money you can get into a Springfiled Mil Spec or even a Springfield loaded. I currently have a Colt GoldCup and a DW CBOB.

If you can find a used Colt for a decent amount you couldn't go wrong there.

I thought the Para Ord GI Expert was a pretty nice gun as cheap 1911s go.
expert_b_large.jpg

STI makes a pretty good "starter".
The spartan is their bottom of the line single stack, and it's WAY nicer than most lower level guns I've seen.

I bought a Taurus PT 1911 ALR from a member of this board and love it.

I had the hideous Taurus hammer removed and a Wilson Combat hammer installed. I also had the plunger safety removed and added a Hogue wraparound grip. All totalled, I have $650 invested.

The Taurus 1911 series of pistols have many features standard, that are not on the RIA, Springer Mil spec, Para, and other 'starter' models.

Like any manufacturer, there will be problems, and with Taurus, I would suggest avoiding early made models(2007-early 2008), as those tend to have more fit/finish problems. Mine was made in 2009. Also, Taurus switched from Heine Straight 8 sights to Novak 3-dot which mine has.

I have owned a Taurus Mil Pro PT145, and currently have a 738 TCP for concealed carry.

I really wanted a Kimber when I bought my Taurus PT1911, and since I have owned it for a while, and shot over 300 rounds through it with no problems, and great accuracy, the Kimber is much farther down the list.

Speaking of accuracy, this PT1911 is as accurate or better than my buddy's Springfield Operator, and that cost him over $1100......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Pretty hard to beat the Armscor 1911s.
I have owned 3 of the Citadel, (1) 5" and (2) 3.5" compacts.
They were all very accurate and dead reliable.
Wholesale Sports in Salem and Clackamas was selling them for $500.
A step up from the RIA, the Citadel is made by the same company that produces the RIA (Armscor).
For 500 bucks you get:
heavy barrel
full length guide rod
trigger and hammer are both lightweight and skeletonized
flared and lowered ejection port
novak style sights
2 magazines
every one I've owned or handled has had pretty good trigger too.
I think I just talked myself into another one.

Yes for the most part they are interchangable.......not to say that some minor "fitting" can / will be required. Manufacturers have slightly different tollerances and measurements but not to say you can't buy "drop in" parts and do a little fitting yourself.

Pretty hard to beat the Armscor 1911s.
I have owned 3 of the Citadel, (1) 5" and (2) 3.5" compacts.
They were all very accurate and dead reliable.
Wholesale Sports in Salem and Clackamas was selling them for $500.
A step up from the RIA, the Citadel is made by the same company that produces the RIA (Armscor).
For 500 bucks you get:
heavy barrel
full length guide rod
trigger and hammer are both lightweight and skeletonized
flared and lowered ejection port
novak style sights
2 magazines
every one I've owned or handled has had pretty good trigger too.
I think I just talked myself into another one.
the sti Spartan is armscor as well.

1911's are Not 10/22's or AR's where tinkering comes in.
Budget gun I'd go Armscor (RIA), lil more money or used and Springfield all the way with patience should find a loaded in range!!

Its a mix of people wanting match type parts, specs, most quality parts are oversized to be fit to your gun, very tight tolerances in some areas, and lots of angles that impact multiple other angles.

Its a mix of people wanting match type parts, specs, most quality parts are oversized to be fit to your gun, very tight tolerances in some areas, and lots of angles that impact multiple other angles.

Sounds like a DIY jigsaw puzzle where you have to cut half the pieces.

I get the point being I don't simply spend $20, knock out a pin, drop in a part and start shooting 10 minutes later. :eek:

Metro Arms 1911's cost the same as RIA 1911's, and have a forged slide. Mine has been flawless and was better fit and finished than my Springfeild Armory Loaded model! Check them out under the American Classic II line, a great 1911!:winkkiss:

So I came back. here is a picture of my RIA (the smaller Officer sized). So far I have added the Wilson trigger and Hogue grip. next will be sights, but it worked like a charm out of the box! Some parts may need fitting, but others will not. my trigger was great as a "drop in". No complaints!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top