JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday I picked up a starter Marlin .17HMR $199 with $20 off from Bi-Mart, a cheap Simmons scope $45 on sale at $35 (3x9x30) and some ammo 150 rounds. (I was keeping myself on a starter cheap budget) Are all HMR's bull barrel?

I chose the Marlin over the Savage with the Accutrigger because I didn't like the weight feel of the Savage. It felt cheap and I didn't like the weight of it.

Shot 150 rounds today through it and was really impressed. I've owned .22LR's and larger calibers but never something of this size. I really enjoyed the accuracy.

I managed to sight it in at 100 yards in a 2" group (or bottom of soda can size). I plan later in a few months to switch to a better scope, I believe it's a BSA?

Shooting Hornady 17grain v-max ammo was a pleasure.

What sort of grouping should I expect when I spend some more time looking down range? I really want to have a quarter sized grouping at 100 yards.

Where do you zero yours in at? Inches high at how many yards?

What's more reliable and better shooting? The 17 grain or the 20 grain? I assume the 17 is more flat (duh) but any advantages to the 20 grain?

So many questions. I appreciate your patience. I've always wanted one of these and now that I've got one I plan to build it up right and make it one accurate SOB.

Thanks in advance. (sorry no photos)

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

Future plans:

Better scope
Flash supressor
Bi-Pod (adjustable legs)

I chose the Marlin as well. I have a grey laminate with stainless fluted barrel and I like it A LOT. I chose it over the savage purely on a cosmetic basis. Savage doesn't make the same stock/barrel combo I wanted.

I sight it in at 100 yrds and I hit everything with relative ease with it. 0 Drop at 100 yrds for the .17. I never really get that serious about target shooting but I've noticed the 17 V-maxs shoot really well out of most rifles I've seen. You should be able to do better than 2" at 100...

I'd save up a little more for a better quality scope. I think the Simmons is on the same quality level as the BSA. New redfield scopes, made by leupold with a lifetime warranty, start at $140 (I think) for a 3-9x and if you ever have a problem they are made locally so service isn't far away!

That simmons you have would probably serve you well for a quite a while until you are ready.

There are many other good scope brands obviously but I think that is an "inexpensive" quality scope. I've had a BSA die on me. never a leupold product.

While, I prefer my Savage, 2" seems a little big at 100 yards. Should be closer to an inch or better. Some rifles prefer different ammo, I've never done much testing with mine but just with Federal Vmax it'll hold an inch or better.

Yeah my 2" grouping was for the first day. (I was happy with that to start)

I plan to drop to 50 yards and get a very tight group then move once again to 100. My plan really is more like a quarter at 100yd.

I have read that some people shoot theirs with the heavier barrel out to longer distances than 150-200yds. Is that true?

After lots of thought I decided to ditch the cheap scope.

There's no point in zeroing in the rifle with that scope then turning around and having to do it again with a new scope. Just does not make logical sense.

Do it right the first time!

Went with: BSA Sweet 17 scope. Picked it up at Bi-Mart for $119 (minus my return for the Simmons) bought up 3 more boxes of ammo so I basically paid the retail.
Model: S17-312X40

I realize now that I got home... NO RINGS... back to bi-mart. *sigh*

My brother shoots that BSA sweet 17 on his savage. It works REALLY well, And the turrets are also accurate.
I also prefer the Marlin and have heard they shoot a little tighter then the Savage. I am going to pick up one of the thumb hole stock SS heavy barrels in marlin soon. There a fun gun to shoot......

Yeah I've looked at these:
<broken link removed>

and I'm really leaning towards one. Just need to justify it with the wife, along with a bipod.

I figure by the time it's all over and said and done I'll have a $500 HMR

I went with the Savage. I didn't like the factory thumbhole stock so I sold it on Ebay and bought a Boyd's factory second Blaster stock. The BSA sweet .17 is great on a .17 HMR for obvious reasons. I've got a Bushnell Super .17 and it does pretty well. You should have pretty fair accuracy out to 200 yards, I get 3" groups but, they're very hard to see, the holes are SO SMALL.

You might want to check out Boyds if you are interested in upgrading the stock, here's mine it was $59.
DSC01194.jpg

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

??
This the right place?
Looks like they don't have any that are specific for the Marlin series, other than replacement OE stocks.

Yeah, they have occasional Special Runs ,Closeouts, and Factory Seconds. I believe mine was a closeout on a factory second. I just I should have said you might have to watch and wait a while to get a good deal there. I love mine so it was worth the wait.

I am pretty sure they HAD other options for the Marlin as well.

I appreciate all the input in this thread, I've never really had a "fun gun" it's always been work horses (aka: hunting). I'm learning the ropes with the new calibers, scopes etc.

CycleSarge: I'll keep my eyes on that site over the next few months and see if anything pops up.

Well..
after multiple trips to Bi-Mart this evening, not only for myself but for my cousin who also purchased a .17 HMR. Marlin 917VS.

The evening is done.

Here's my beauty: Marlin 917V with BSA Sweet 17 Scope.
View attachment 216346
View attachment 216347

I am really excited. Tomorrow opens up a new chapter. The sight in. I plan to really zero it in. Dime at 50, quarter at 100. Then I'll move back to 450 and see if I can hit the target.

I did a test fit of the bipod I want to put on there tonight, and I have to say I didn't want to take it off. Now maybe I need to sell something so I can cover the cost.

View attachment 215777

Semi-finished the HMR. (until I change stocks)

Saturday was the true test.
Went out and made the zero.
Started at 50 yards:
View attachment 215778

120 yards.
0227001749.jpg
Ballistic tip 17 grain. Bullet went where it was supposed to. Through both lungs and heart. Instantaneous death. Perfect hunters kill.

I love the 17HMR, thats all i have to say! Its awsome being able to see your bullet impact since there is 0 recoil, and watch how effective they really are when they make contact

Our 17hmr H&R single shot is good for consistent 1.5" groups at 100 yards, while I have several rifles that can shoot tighter groups I don't have any as consistent as this. Just never managed to shoot a really tight group with it at 100 yards.

Going to purchase a 17 HMR tomorrow with the flutted bull barrel and laminated stock. Burris bipod and scope if i can stay under $600. Any tips ?
Was thinking of purchasing a box a cci and Hornaby ? Whats everyone shoot ?

Yes.. V-Max ballistic tips in 17 grain.

EXPLODE!!!

@ Bi-Mart: Savage, thumbhole stock, stainless: $339 (on sale right now and it's lower) $200 scope (or find a BSA Sweet 17 @ Bi-Mart $119). $60 Bipod.
There's your $600 right there. 50 round box: $12.00

Why a fluted barrel? Just adds to cost.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews