JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And some need to crawl down off their high horse. You want to open carry? Good for you. I don't think it's as great idea as you do. That's my 1A right to say. Good for me. One of the cool things about America .... I can disagree with you and I am still right.

Your right to disagree does not make you "still right". ;)

I've OC'd a few times. I see nothing wrong with it at all. I'd prefer to CC, but each one serves its own purpose. Some guns are just too darn big to CC, and sometimes OC is the better option.

Neither method is appropriate for every situation. Choose your carry method accordingly.

I've OC'd a few times. I see nothing wrong with it at all. I'd prefer to CC, but each one serves its own purpose. Some guns are just too darn big to CC, and sometimes OC is the better option.

Neither method is appropriate for every situation. Choose your carry method accordingly.

Agree with the conclusion, but not the logic. I have never carried a firearm that was "too big" to conceal carry, you just need to adjust your wardrobe appropriately.

I support your right to open carry the same way I support your right to walk down the street wearing a pink thong and knee-high white vinyl go-go boots. Knock yourself out if you want to, but in most situations it probably isnt a choice that I would make.

I see open-carry events as little more than the choir preaching to itself.

There is nothing wrong with them; I support the right of people to attend them; but it is downright naive to think that open carry as a political statement is ever going to change the minds of people who are already opposed to guns.

The reality of modern-day American civilization is that, in most settings, open carry is socially unacceptable. I do not see that changing. If you want to excercise your right (a right that I support) to carry openly then by all means do so, but dont expect to change any opinions.

For any number of reasons, I prefer to carry concealed. I dislike drawing attention to myself, and I feel that "blending in" discreetly gives me a tactical advantage that open carry would negate. But thats just me.

I see open-carry events as little more than the choir preaching to itself.

There is nothing wrong with them; I support the right of people to attend them; but it is downright naive to think that open carry as a political statement is ever going to change the minds of people who are already opposed to guns.The reality of modern-day American civilization is that, in most settings, open carry is socially unacceptable. I do not see that changing. If you want to excercise your right (a right that I support) to carry openly then by all means do so, but dont expect to change any opinions.

For any number of reasons, I prefer to carry concealed. I dislike drawing attention to myself, and I feel that "blending in" discreetly gives me a tactical advantage that open carry would negate. But thats just me.

Great post. As to the bolded, we can all OC until the cows come home and to gun owners it is no big deal. But choosing this method to make a political statement and thinking it can't have adverse political ramifications is myopic and naive.

Soberups: there you are wrong. A couple years ago (Jan 2010) a small group of people (about 300) that OC and CC peacefully showed at the Capital building on Olympia to testify on a firearm legislation they did not think was appropreate. There were about 15 antis there in support of the bill...the bill failed. Yes, you can OC into the WA senate chambers. You really think that is inapropreate?

You do not think that is appropreate. The head of Ceasefire WA complained to the police about all the armed people and asked the police to disarm them...Capitol, and state police said, no, they are not breaking any law.

The thing is, Starbucks, and at least so far, the state of WA do not think OC is inapropreate. Me, I OC in summer, and cc (coat) the same weapon in Winter. I refuse to dress for my carry. I am retired and because of what I did for a living before I retired I was required to wear a suit most of the time...I don't even own a suit any more...:)

Soberups: there you are wrong. A couple years ago (Jan 2010) a small group of people (about 300) that OC and CC peacefully showed at the Capital building on Olympia to testify on a firearm legislation they did not think was appropreate. There were about 15 antis there in support of the bill...the bill failed. Yes, you can OC into the WA senate chambers. You really think that is inapropreate?You do not think that is appropreate. The head of Ceasefire WA complained to the police about all the armed people and asked the police to disarm them...Capitol, and state police said, no, they are not breaking any law.

The thing is, Starbucks, and at least so far, the state of WA do not think OC is inapropreate. Me, I OC in summer, and cc (coat) the same weapon in Winter. I refuse to dress for my carry. I am retired and because of what I did for a living before I retired I was required to wear a suit most of the time...I don't even own a suit any more...:)

I never said that OC was inappropriate.

What I said....was that OC is, under most circumstances, considered to be socially unacceptable and is highly unlikely to change the minds of people who are already opposed to guns in the first place.

The fact that the 300 people who opposed the anti gun bill you refer to chose to open carry in the Capitol Building had nothing to do with the fact that it ultimately failed to pass. I highly doubt that open carry in any way altered the outcome of the voting on the bill; the anti-gun legislators who supported it were not going to have their minds changed just because 300 people showed up wearing guns.

I support the 2nd amendment, and I 100% support your right to open carry. It is simply not my preferred method, and I see no social or political benefits in doing so.

I never said that OC was inappropriate.

What I said....was that OC is, under most circumstances, considered to be socially unacceptable and is highly unlikely to change the minds of people who are already opposed to guns in the first place.

The fact that the 300 people who opposed the anti gun bill you refer to chose to open carry in the Capitol Building had nothing to do with the fact that it ultimately failed to pass. I highly doubt that open carry in any way altered the outcome of the voting on the bill; the anti-gun legislators who supported it were not going to have their minds changed just because 300 people showed up wearing guns.

I support the 2nd amendment, and I 100% support your right to open carry. It is simply not my preferred method, and I see no social or political benefits in doing so.

300 people showing up to kill the bill, verses 15 in support (or V/V) sure does effect the outcome of a vote in the legislature...you better believe it

Socially unacceptable? Poor babies...some (of all ethnic backgrounds) think inter-racial marriage is "socially unacceptable". Some Greeks even think it is "socially unacceptable" for a Greek girl to marry anyone that is not Greek...Does that mean it is wrong? Some Isalmics think it is "socially unacceptable" for a woman to show her face in public.

I could give a tinker d$%^ what other people think is socially unacceptable? Especially what an antigun advocate thinks. If you cowtow to them, they are going to think they have power to impose their values on me, and that is not going to happen.

I used to work for a CEO that was very libertarian (he would have considered himself a liberal, so ok, liberal libratarian) that had one rule for all those that worked in his company. That rule was "act like an adult" (or in other words, take responsibility for your own actions) One day one of the workers complained about something petty, (one of the liberal PC things) It wasn't guns at work, and I don't remember exactly what it was, (it didn't involve me) but for this illustration, I will make it a gun...ok So, it went something like "Jonny has a gun and it scares me".

Do you know what that CEO did? He came on the intercom and announced to all 500 or so people in that plant..."Grow up, that is not acting like an adult". Petty wining was not acceptable in his company.

And I say to any anti that feels it is socially unacceptable for me to carry a sidearm for self protection.."Grow up, that is not acting like an adult"

I never quite understood why people would "dress around a gun/holster".

Because fashion should come second to comfort with your firearm- and when I say comfort I mean confidence and effectiveness to draw and fire it safely. Carrying a firearm comes with a different mentality than usual. If you don't understand this then maybe your gun should stay in the safe.

Because fashion should come second to comfort with your firearm- and when I say comfort I mean confidence and effectiveness to draw and fire it safely. Carrying a firearm comes with a different mentality than usual. If you don't understand this then maybe your gun should stay in the safe.

I guess perhaps you missed the point.

I don't understand why a person would pick a sidearm, and then a holster.. And spends how much money to get a wardrobe that works with it. When if one shops carefully you can find a weapon/holster combination that works with your already current wardrobe. (why you think this has something to do with fashion is beyond me)

herp derp.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads