JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I received my Star Luber Sizer and can't get it to lube my bullets correctly. I can get lube in the correct grove but I get some on the nose right by the seating grove. I am using a hard lube and for now I am using a heat gun to heat the sizer up. When I heat things up a lot then I get a lot of lube on the nose of the bullet. The bullet I have is a semi wadcutter with one grove. Does the top punch have anything do with it? Is anyone else having this problem or do you know what is wrong ?

DO you have the extra lube holes plugged? I plug the extra holes with lead shot. You can adjust the top punch for proper lube alingment

Midway sells a nice little heater, mount it on the back of a piece of alum plate..I use a plate about 3/8" thick 6" wide and about a foot long. Let the heater warm it all up for about 20 min and your ready to go. The Star is still the best luber sizer out there..

Yes I have all other holes plugged. I adjusted the punch down a little more and now I only have a small speck on the nose. Not for sure if it is worth adjusting down more or not. I have it mounted on a 1/4 inch metal and using an electric iron to heat it. I really like the sizer.

It could be too much spring pressure. It will ooze out while your putting in the next bullet if so. It's a nack to learn how hard the lube is and how much heat and pressure to put on it.

I don't think that it is the spring pressure because I can keep sizing bullets until the lube doesn't get completely filled and then I will add a little more pressure and then it will fill the lube grove. Star told me that it could be three things , too much heat, too much spring pressure and top punch not adjusted. I adjusted the top punch and now I just get a small speck on the head right above the crimp grove. I will try to adjust it more.

Which lube specifically are you using?

Generally speaking, I try to run mine at right about 100F, I have the air pressure piston on mine, and try to maintain pressure at about 40-60PSI depending on the bullet (big rifle bullets with lots of grooves need more lube).

My guess... you're running the machine too hot or your lube pressure is too high. Also, your bullets may be undersize.

I don't what brand of lube I am using. The person at the gun shop gave me some to try. It is a hard lube and blue in color and about 10 inches long. For heat I am using an electric iron and don't know the temp I think the temp is about right because if I lube a lot the lube in the grove has some small white spots where the lube isn't hot enough. I am sizing 44 bullets.

Chances are you're running the magma or ballisticast lubes... they are very common in the commercial casting industry. Red is another popular color.

If you are filling up the lube groove to the point that all of the lube is touching except for a few small bubbles, this is more than sufficient, a few inclusions are nothing to cry about.

Good temp control and regulated pressure are probably the two most critical issues when it comes to getting the star machine to run right. I won't say it's black magic to get it to work, but even with the years of experience I have running those machines it's more feel than it is science. Realistically, what you want is the lube chamber (the black tube) to be hot, and the die to be cold, as this way you can pump hot lube into the die, and have it solidify on the bullet. Unfortunately, because the whole base is made of aluminum it conducts heat really well so achieving the perfect temperature gradient is difficult and instead monkeying with the temperature and pressure will get you a "good enough" result.

Hope that helps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads