Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Star Bonifacio Echeverria - new gun unusal caliber

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by tlfreek, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

I wont bore you with the details, but my girlfriend sort of inherited a gun from her step dad. She knows nothing about guns, so had me take a look at it. The gun is a very neglected Star Bonifacio Echeverria chambered in 38 auto (38 auto = 9 mm Bergmann-Bayard)

anyone know anything about these? Yes, I've researched wikipedia and some other online sources, was curious about local experience with these. How hard is it to get ammo for for these guys? can you shoot regular 9mm? I suspect not. the same 9 mm 380 surprise.

Thanks

2. enjr4

enjr4 Renton, WA Active Member

I don't know anything about your "Star"; but, in Europe the .380 is known as a "9mm short" (and maybe several of other common names).
    .380 ACP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you look at say a Beretta 84 or 85 the caliber marked on the slide is 9mm short.

Hope this helps,
    Ed

3. tlfreek

not a 380 - 38 auto. sorry if I didn't make that clear.

4. enjr4

enjr4 Renton, WA Active Member

Thanks, I learned something! Same size as a .38 super, but not as powerful. Looks like it will be hard to find it. One listing on-line and they are out of it.
    Interesting, Ed

5. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Any chance you can get the chamber reamed to fire a more common round?

6. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

7. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Star Modelos Super

OK read...

What's the pistol marked? they came in 9mm Largo, 9mm Luger and .38 Super.....38/9mm Largo can, but should not be interchanged ( the article touches on it )

In the "same but different" category:

.38 ACP ( .38 auto )
    .38 Super
    9x23mm
    9mm Largo
    9mm Bergman Bayard

8. tlfreek

thanks for the link - I believe what I have is a 38 acp

9. larryh1108

larryh1108 CT Member

The Llama series has the 38ACP/9Largo so I wonder if the more easy to find 9 Largo would work as well. It's not as stout as the 38Super.

10. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

Did you ever get the 38 acp ammo figured out?I reload for it and could walk you through reloading some if you wanted...Robin

tlfreek and (deleted member) like this.
  11. tlfreek

no not really. I have yet to shoot the gun. I think I can reload just fine provided i can find 38 acp cases. I got some ridiculous quote for 50 rounds and put the gun in the safe. I would like to shoot it.

i would be curious to know what your load recipe is for this caliber. BTW thanks for the offer - very nice of you.

12. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

I have a few hundred cases myself and depending on the gun and your surroundings,you can usually find most of your brass after shooting.Ill look around for my data and get back to you with what it is and where I found it so you can check it out yourself.It works well in my 2 guns,a colt 1902 ans a 1903.It should bi fine in yours also.I think the colts were the weaker design.You can use 38 super brass but not the comp.It needs to have a semi-rim...Robin

13. tlfreek

so i can use 38 super brass? not sure what comp is?

will this work?

Remington Reloading Brass 38 Super +P

14. Box13

Box13 Beavercreek Member

38 acp brass along with the later 38 super have a small semi rim.That is they index on the rim.38 super comp cases have no rim and index on the case mouth.I think the link you posted is the correct case,but if you look around you can sometimes find cases headstamped 38 ACP.No problem if you only have a 38 acp but if you have a 38 super it is too easy to mix up ammo with the same headstamp.I think graf and sons had 38 acp stamped brass a while ago but I had to email them about it...Robin