1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. The lucky winners of the NWFA Fall Giveaway 2016 have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by bolus, Mar 30, 2016.

1. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Boomer50 Portland Member

Yes, the Model 30 is an excellent military and police pistol, if you carry on a duty belt OWB and don't care about the weight, AND have REALLY BIG hands. I only have big hands, and the gun was just too fat, and the safety was completely awkward. I much admire Star pistols; the FireStar model is superb if you like single action with a very positive frame mounted safety, all steel but still not too heavy. The FireStar-Plus is a wonderful double-stack 13 plus one version with an alloy frame so that it is still not too heavy. My personal favorite Star is the UltraStar version; it is a double/single action with a polymer frame and a slide mounted safety that has a decocking extra function, yet is easy to reach with the thumb. It only holds nine-plus-one rounds but it is built for rigidity instead of capacity. It is light and exceedingly comfortable to carry and shoot, as it aims very instinctively. Parts are getting hard to find, but since nothing breaks or even wears these are still superb pistols.
  3. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

I too always liked the Star pistols. Almost grabbed one that @Norm0931 had in his shop a while back but was focused on other things at the time. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.....
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a early 1950's Star model B and as long as you either wear gloves or at least remember not to let the web between your thumb and index finger climb up on the beavertail its an awesome and super reliable pistol. If you forget its a bubbleguming SON OF A bubblegum PITA cause it will bite the crap out of that webbing. and you will BLEED.

That said I will never sell mine.