JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A mass shooting is merely a shooting where several people or more are injured or killed. It doesn't matter what circumstance.
True and I believe the number is generally accepted as 4, wounded or dead.
A mass shooting is where the suspect intends to take his problems out on society not some other crime related incident that happened to involve more than 3 victims.

Re "Mass Shooting"

I think the real issue is that there is no "Generally Accepted" definition.

Familial - guy kills family and self, is that a mass shooting?
Random only? ie Vegas
Guy intends to murder the boss, and shoots a number of co-workers because they are there?

Shot, shot at? Injured? Killed?

Exclude when good guys shoot, right.

There is a lack of consensus on how to define a mass shooting.

In the United States, there are several different, but common, definitions of mass shootings. The Congressional Research Service defines mass shootings, as multiple, firearm, homicide incidents, involving 4 or more victims at one or more locations close to one another. The FBI definition is essentially the same. Often there is a distinction made between private and public mass shootings (e.g., a school, place of worship, or a business establishment). Mass shootings undertaken by foreign terrorists are not included, no matter how many people die or where the shooting occurs.

a single incident involving the shooting with one or more firearms of a number of people, but more than two
2?!

The FBI doesn't define "mass shooting" as its own term; it only defines a "mass murderer" as someone who kills four or more people in one location—and that doesn't necessarily have to be with a firearm. The most accepted definition of a mass shooting, then, is as a single incident in which four or more people are shot or killed. A mass shooting typically occurs in a single place and time but can include multiple locations in close proximity to each other, as was the case in Atlanta. The Gun Violence Archive (GVA), a leading organization on the topic, uses this definition—as does the Giffords Law Center.

Another interesting note about these people: Most of them have historically voted democrat, been registered democrat, or have come from registered democrat parents...

Actually, CEO's are typically sociopaths as well.
We can certainly observe some sociopathic traits. Megalomania is also a character (flaw) in many power seekers. In political figures, it is more readily observable - a recent exception to some degree: a president who actually lost wealth and suffered persecution and prosecution for the greater sake of the nation.

True and I believe the number is generally accepted as 4, wounded or dead. But the distinction I'm trying to make is the often
lack of clearly stated facts in news reports. The focus has been on non gang related shootings and using a number that includes
gang shootings for what I see as an oft times anti-gun approach to reporting. Gang shootings and the resultant community
sorrow are sad and ugly. Additionally deaths by firearms also include suicides, though not considered mass shootings.
The study notes, however, that while mass shootings have become the public face of gun violence, they account for less than 1% of the 40,000 firearm deaths each year.

I fully agree, but the prospect of losing your gun rights will also prevent those that need help from seeking it.

We can certainly observe some sociopathic traits. Megalomania is also a character (flaw) in many power seekers. In political figures, it is more readily observable - a recent exception to some degree: a president who actually lost wealth and suffered persecution and prosecution for the greater sake of the nation.
You had me until the last part, but I did need a good chuckle so thank you.

I'm going against the flow here and say I think the information presented is worthy of consideration. Because I'd like to know why this form of violence is happening with greater frequency when it didn't occur much in the past. Why the increase? Are there more mentally ill people about? If so, why? I've got my own views as to why. For example, people are living in ever more crowded-up environments, frustrations with their fellow man are more frequent. Life in general is more regulated. I also think there is some monkey-see, monkey-do factor due to the increased reach of media coverage.

Some countries do require a psych exam or interview before a firearm purchase permit is issued. As much of a hindrance I think this might be, I'm also aware that changes in society might move us toward that. We all know or have met gun owners whom we've thought maybe ought not to have them. I doubt that the Founding Fathers would've wanted the village idiot to have a musket.

I doubt that the Founding Fathers would've wanted the village idiot to have a musket.
1- we should try not to confuse "idiot" with "crazy".
2- and, even more importantly.... "crazy" with "idiot".

We would be less threatened by an armed idiot, than an armed crazy.

Now of course, if a crazy person has control over an idiot, you could have real problem....
...like Nancy P. or A.O.C. controlling Pres. B.

Some exclude gang shootings from the "mass shooting" definition, I guess they don't count.
Up until very recently, 'mass shooting' has always been used to imply a random act of gunfire perpetrated by some disturbed, depraved person with no particular objective other than to kill as many strangers as possible and for reasons known only to the looney tune shooter. Vegas, San Bernardino, Sutherland Springs, for example. School shootings would also fall into this category, as would those aimed at a particular ethic, racial, or religious identity group... like the time some Muslims shot up a Jewish deli in Brooklyn and the media IMMEDIATELY blamed Trump cuz 'white supremacy' until it was discoverd the shooters were ideologically driven by their religuous hatred of Jews and were in fact not white supremacists. Even that congress lady who married her brother got in on that gaslight...

But gang stuff is usually NOT random targeting of strangers, but criminal retaliation. These in incidents should not be referred to as mass shootings, multiple victims notwithstanding. The recent shootingin Austin is a perfect example: Gang bullbubblegum by feral humans. Yes, 14 innocent bystanders injured, one dead... but the intended target(s) were rival gang members. If we allow the media to turn every driveby into a 'mass shooting' we only give more ammuniton (pun intended) to the gun grabbers.

Last Edited:
So not only do we have an incoming ATF head who wants to arrest criminals before they commit crimes, we also have an academic/medical community interested in predicting mental illness.

Time to dig up that old 'Minority Report' DVD ...

wilson_minority.jpg

The study notes, however, that while mass shootings have become the public face of gun violence, they account for less than 1% of the 40,000 firearm deaths each year.
usgun-deaths-1999-2016.jpg

31k / year - of which 60% are suicide.

therefore about 15k/year -

How many mass shootings are suicides, where the perpitrator is just taking out others along with themself - I mean the main motive is to be killed such as suicide by cop. ??

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top