JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I'm trying to standardize my rifles/ammo for SHTF purposes. I have a 5.56, 7.62x39, and a .308. The .308 is definitely staying, but I'm debating on the 7.62x39 or the 5.56. I don't want to have too many rifles to stockpile ammo, and would like to sell one of them to fund ammo/accessories for the other battle rifles. What is most practical in your opinion?

Well, the 5.56 and the 7.62 x 39 are not that far apart. You're keeping the .308/7.62 NATO for a heavy hitter/long range gun. And well.

Decide which of the other two you like better... handling, looks, accessories, durability/reliability, that sort of thing. Both are fairly cheap to feed.... though the 5.56 is likely a bit cheaper.... it can even eat .223, though not with quite the same accuracy.

Or, maybe decide which of the two smaller "dispensible" rifles will fetch more when its time to sell.. all other things being equal, it would put by more rounds into your cache.

If you plan to get into reloading ammo then it is a no brainer: keep the .223.

Personally I think the .223 is better. You can get light weight bullets in loaded ammo or as components for varmints, milspec ammo/bullets, or heavy for caliber OTM or SP for small deer, hogs and self defense. Lots more variety with .223. you can even get Russian ammo nearly as cheap as 7.62x39 like Wolf, Brown Bear, etc.

In military form an argument could be made for or against the .223. But with civilian choices in ammo such as 64 SP or 75 gr OTM I think the .223 is the clear winner.

Of course you have to evaluate which firearms platform you prefer as well.

I do not know how old you are, but from and older vet, (1968), I would take the AR 5.56.
The AK shoots a 30cal bullet.. from a reloaders standpoint, I like all 3..
If you live long enough to see whatever happens, then ammo and what you are tryng to do, or defend should be considered.
An Ak is probably not as good for rabbits, squirrels, and small animals for food or bait as an AR. It is all what you are trying to do.. AK's do not have as many stoppage issues.

I do not know how old you are, but from and older vet, (1968), I would take the AR 5.56.
If you live long enough to see whatever happens, then ammo and what you are tryng to do, or defend should be considered.
An Ak is probably not as good for rabbits, squirrels, and small animals for food or bait as an AR. It is all what you are trying to do.. AK's do not have as many stoppage issues.

Good advice. I'll still have my .22lr for squirrels/rabbits. It would just be nice to have two calibers for my MBR's.

I agree entirely.

Yeah, but getting down to 2-3 pistol calibers and 2-3 rifle and 1 shotgun will help with bulk purchase of ammo...which then helps with more training! That's the route I've chosen as a good balance.

Yeah, but getting down to 2-3 pistol calibers and 2-3 rifle and 1 shotgun will help with bulk purchase of ammo...which then helps with more training! That's the route I've chosen as a good balance.

Pretty much on the same path here. I personally gravitate to the 30 cal centerfires for things past shooting small game (which I have a couple of .22lr pistols/rifles to take care of) but a decent 5.56/223 can't hurt. Since he's already got a AR in 308 it makes sense to limit his manual of arms and stick with the 5.56/223 for his second rifle. I love my AK and I (finally!) just got a PTR91 that I won't be letting go of anytime soon! However, I see the point to sticking with one platform as a tool set.

Pretty much on the same path here. I personally gravitate to the 30 cal centerfires for things past shooting small game (which I have a couple of .22lr pistols/rifles to take care of) but a decent 5.56/223 can't hurt. Since he's already got a AR in 308 it makes sense to limit his manual of arms and stick with the 5.56/223 for his second rifle. I love my AK and I (finally!) just got a PTR91 that I won't be letting go of anytime soon! However, I see the point to sticking with one platform as a tool set.

Since I'm sure I couldn't get what my AK is worth, I could consider it one of my "exotic" rifles, and stockpile ammo for the AR 5.56 and 7.62 as my Main Battle Rifles. Training with the 5.56 would be nice for ammo prices, and muscle memory will be similar with the 308 since most of the controls are identical. You guys have convinced me, I'll keep the 5.56. Anyone interested in a nice AK?.....:D

I wish I would have found this thread sooner, but I'll throw in my few cents.

IMO, the AR is superior to the AK.
The AR is modular, and allows you to use many different uppers.
The standard upper can use a .22lr bolt kit, so you can train gun handling skills while plinking, by merely changing your BCG.
You can use an upper in a pistol caliber to match your sidearm, so you can run one type of magazine as well.
In a true SHTF situation, you could have a slew of uppers at your HQ, so you could use almost any and all calibers you could encounter.
You can also just run 7.62x39 out of the AR.

The AK is a great and reliable weapon, but dated in it's capabilities.
It can only shoot one caliber, with limited range and damage.

I think the money could be better spent on uppers.
And if you were expecting to run into a secondary caliber, it'd be easier to carry a second upper(especially a short one) in the area instead of a second rifle.

I've standardized on 20 GA, .22, .223, 5.56, 5.45X39 and looking for a an AK in 7.62X39 and a .308 to round it all out.

Figure I can pretty well shoot what ever I can find out in the "field"!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
ACSWW Member

In Iraq/Afghanistan the AK. In the US 223/5.56. It's more readily available and when you need to scavange for ammo, it's more likely you'll find it.
Also think of the weapon platform. If something breaks, you can most likely find replacement parts. Ie AR is super modular and can easily find spare parts while a AK it's stamped and can't just go out and find a replacement optic or LPK when if it breaks during SHTF.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top