JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 1916 Colt (Pre-Woodsman) model and I wish to shoot it but I'm told I should only shoot the rubber band launched spitwad style standard velocity .22 ammo.

Is there a source out here for this ammo? I really really really wanna shoot this pistol, but I do not want it breaking like my High Standard "B" did on me.

Thanks for any info folks :)

Gary

Most of your larger firearm stores should stock standard velocity ammo for your Colt. Failing that, Midway has a few offerings. Most all target-grade .22 ammo is standard velocity, so expand your search to include Winchester T22's, Eley, etc. Some are specific for pistols and actually do perform better in them. As for "rubber-band/spitwad", I'd not denigrate the performance of Standard Velocity .22lr. As with big game rounds, its not so much what you hit 'em with, but where you hit 'em. A high-velocity .22 solid bullet will not display much dramatic added effect on game as compared the same in Standard Velocity. It is when you go to the hollow-point that you might notice some significant difference. Good on you for not abusing your old gun with high-velocity ammo. My HD Military is treated likewise.

Thanks! I'd have to keep with the spitwad style shooting opinion as my Colt don't shoot game, it's a paper and beer can shooter. Now my Ruger Blackhawk is my game gun with over 600 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards... Well you get the meaning :) Placement is still paramount regardless of energy...

Thank you for the info on the standard vel rounds :)

koolminx:

Probably too late to help but I bought a brick of CCI 22LR standard velocity at Dick's recently, for use in old guns.

I don't recall the price but it was on sale and much cheaper than "target" ammo.

Just sayin'
Tilos

koolminx:
Sorry, I don't even know what state Port Orchard is in:eek:
And I've escaped Oregon and now hang out in Idaho...until it turns cold.

We haven't seen rain here for months and it is light until 10pm:D
I bought that ammo in the Portland area and Dicks' is a big box sports store that does not do mail order:(

Sorry for the thread drift and thanks for reading my post,
Tilos

It's cool, drift this thread anywhere you want. This Colt MUST be shot :) A gun ain't worth a schitt if you can't or don't shoot it.

Port Orchard is near Seattle, that's in Bangkok, near pseudophedrineville USA, meth capitol of the world :)

My son is in Idaho with his momma. Hope you don't meet her ;) LOL

minx, get on the other side of the water and go to Cabelas. You can shop their online store and see what they have, most everything online is also in their stores. They do free to-store shipping, so if you make it to Lacey on a usual basis, you can pick up your order their. They have any type of ammo you can dream of. Being from P.O., you know enough to stay away from store near Bangor and Bummerton because most of them are dishonest and only want the military guys money.

Have fun with that pistol!

I feel ya little brother I feel ya! Since I'm driving by there next week I'll take a gander at their wares.

Thanks for the heads up!

Gary
Navy Sea Bee 1986-1999

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads