JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For all you reloading veterans, I have this basic question about how to mount a reloading press. My instinct says that I want to position my press so that I can sit down while reloading. But I noticed on YouTube that many people have mounted their press using things like the "strong mount" for their press which elevates their press such that they have to stand up while reloading. And so I started to wonder if it's easier to stand while reloading & pulling that lever. What is your preference that you've decided over the years? Thanks in advance for your answers.

That's one of those personal choices that remains an eternal point of discussion. I tried 'em both. Sitting works better for me, while physical issues simply conspire to limit standing option. YMMV.

I built my new bench @ 29" which mounts a Dillon 650 just right for my use while sitting. :cool:

Tried both. Built my current bench at 37", Dillon 550 bolted directly to the top.
I use a tall kitchen/barstool height swivel chair.

Well I use an old heavy oak desk so sitting is my choice. Oh and I'm old and my back is older and doesn't like me when I stand too long.

Bench was setup to accommodate standing, when sitting is desired I have a stool, this way I can work between the two. Sometimes I want to stand for the additional leverage when resizing rifle cases. Other times sitting is more efficient, like when powdering and seating 9mm projectiles...

Bench was setup to accommodate standing, when sitting is desired I have a stool, this way I can work between the two. Sometimes I want to stand for the additional leverage when resizing rifle cases. Other times sitting is more efficient, like when powdering and seating 9mm projectiles...

^^^ This is what I was going to write. I have my press set up to stand, because you can use a bar stool to sit at standing height, but sawing off my legs at the knees to stand at sitting height = not good! ;)

My thoughts exactly! ;)

#MeToo :)

My preference is standing for progressive press re-loading.
To sit, I can park my butt on the edge of a tall stool, but a press mounted for sitting has no standing option.
I built my bench top height for standing but a riser for a standard height bench for standing need not be an expensive "strong mount", and can be fab'ed out of 2x8s or other scrap framing lumber and costs nothing.
WoodenRiser.JPG
And if it's built tall enough so the press linkage clears the bench top, it can be mounted further in on the bench, away from the edge for rigidity.
:D

Last Edited:
Using a powder thrower at my bench, in the garage, for pistol, or rifle, I stand.
My powder thrower isn't accurate enough with the powder I use for my .458, so
I sit at the kitchen counter to weigh powder and fill the cases. Then, I take them
out to the press and seat the bullets. With the AR's every case is checked in the
chamber die after sizing and after loading.:D

I know, it sounds anal, but a stuck case can ruin your life.:eek:

I have a bad back so I can't sit not stand for long periods of time. I have to figure out the perfect height for my soon to be completed benches in "the room". I did find a HD drafting chair that will be used a lot like my old stool had, it will work either sitting or standing height.

Inside the house, I sit down.

Out in the reloading area outside the house, everything is set up for standing, though I have an adjustable height chair too.

Been in this discussion before elsewhere. I've been handloading going on 40 years, started out being shown doing it in standing position. So that became a habit. The years went by, and I thought about doing it in the sitting position. Tried it, doesn't work for me. I find that I need more total body mobility range than sitting allows for most operations. Even using a tall stool as a butt rest. Some phases lend themselves to sitting, like seating primers. Which I sometimes do at a table in front of a TV. But for most functions, I use my benches which I built years ago to be convenient for standing work.

Having said the foregoing, in later years I've had foot problems. First, plantar faciitis, which has largely cleared up. Lately, metatarsalgia, which I'm dealing with now and may lead to left surgery soon. The rubber anti-fatigue mats at the work stations help. Special shoe inserts help. Take my advice, don't get old.

I built my bench to stand, but a bought a Craftsman stool to sit on occasionally when my legs and or ankles start to get sore.

It is nice to have the two options.
Mounted at sit down level you only have one choice.

"Tried both. Built my current bench at 37", Dillon 550 bolted directly to the top.
I use a tall kitchen/barstool height swivel chair."

^ that.

Bottom line is be comfortable. High bench and high chair. I can stand or sit.

Stand. I have a 42" bench height.

The extension to the bench that will be built this fall will be lower for sitting height for tinkering and not so much reloading.

Lately, I've been thinking about one of those big, rolling tool boxes with a wooden top that they sell at Home Depot (or similar). It would be nice to have all those nice little drawers to hold all my various equipment. They are standing height. The ones I've looked at cost about $700, they are set up with electric power connection and all. Since the wooden top doesn't have a lip, I'm not sure how I'd mount stuff. The draws close pretty close under the top, at first glance anyway don't appear to be too adaptable to bolt-through.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews