JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was over at arfcom today, and one guy spoke to his dealer, who told him ATF said once they get into the mid July stuff the wait time is going to go up to 12-18 months. They have a 400,000 form backlog from July 2016. That means a form 4 from last July could potentially take until Jan 2018.

Remember that truckload of forms from silencershop? There's 100,000 forms they haven't even touched yet, and they have 300,000 more.

Hope it isn't true.

I can understand the long wait, for your first nfa form. But after that and your info is already on file the wait should be so damn long! And it retarted that the background check is the same as when you buy a firearm..I can walk in to sportsmans warehouse and walk out couple hours later with a new toy..but its the goverment and they love jerking ppl around

Walk out in a couple hours with a new toy? That must be a Oregon thing I hearing they take a long time and by my recent visit to the DMV Oregon is behind the times compared to other states. It reminds me of the 80's in Utah. In Utah I could go into any store you name it and walk out with a gun in 5 mins maybe 10 on a slow day.
Anyway I'm now passed 9 months on my form 4, And 8 months on e-form 1.

Walk out in a couple hours with a new toy? That must be a Oregon thing I hearing they take a long time and by my recent visit to the DMV Oregon is behind the times compared to other states. It reminds me of the 80's in Utah. In Utah I could go into any store you name it and walk out with a gun in 5 mins maybe 10 on a slow day.
Anyway I'm now passed 9 months on my form 4, And 8 months on e-form 1.
It really just depends on how long of wait time once they call in your info theres been a couple times where there 3 or 4 ppl Aready waiting

I noticed the backgrounds got progressively longer in Oregon in recent years. I had at least a couple take around an hour and one take around two. The owners of a local shop, who now closed up, told me there were some that took many hours during the peak of panic buying. Then the state started accepted CHLs and it has been lightning fast (seconds or a few minutes), at least for the ones I've done, with said.

Last Edited:
So, I did a little research in the internet to try and figure out how many forms they are capable of processing, and what "normal" work volume is for them. Take this information for what it is worth, which is probably not much. Just one possible data point.

I read that in 2015, the NFA processed 1.5 million forms for a tax stamp. This was for the entire year, and includes electronic and paper forms. I would assume these are form 1 and form 4 submissions. I am not sure if form 3 submissions are in there, but probably not, since no stamp for those.

Now, 1.5 million divided by 12 equals 125,000 forms per month. That is their capacity to get out the forms. So if they have a 400,000 form backlog right now, and you divide that by 125,000, you get 3.2 months to finish July submissions.

I assume they are starting on July 2016 forms around now, because some late June ones have just come back. So if you have a check cash date from July 2016, you might get your stamp by July 2017.

Again, this is just a wild a*s guess, based on shaky internet data, assumptions, and some leaps of logic.

But at this point I think everyone is just guessing, including the ATF.

tritac in salem would let you shoot wih your can at their range while you waited for the stamp to come back. never been to tritac but coworkers have and they said it's pretty alright

image-52.jpeg So I got some info today that they are working 7 days a week to get approvals done. Unfortunately I purchased on 6/10 but check cash was 7/22 so I'm about 3 to 4 weeks out. I had to do a form 3 so that just added to my overall wait.
(Picture is for the order to the 7/11/16 yes there were more)

Last Edited:
It was submitted before the 42-p I believe it just took so long for check cash. As least I hope . So I'm at the very end of line Silencershop did this to everyone ordering in June as far as I know. Otherwise I'm going to be super pissed off!!! Silencershop said it's been working and to expect another 2-3 weeks so that's really 4-5 most likely. If I knew this is what they were going to do I would of tried harder to buy local but everything was sold out. I have a e-form submitted 7-10 and still has not been assigned. I just want my 22 can. I'm more excited about this one than some of my better ones just because I have fallen in love with shooting 22 supresed. It's just to fun so for now I use my Octane 45 HD on my 22 and it works great but it's to big. I use anti-seize to protect the baffles from the crud and it works great. Just wipe it off after each time it and its good as new.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top