JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Choosing between a barrel for my build. Do I go nitride or stainless? Nitrided barrel is 556 chamber 1/7 twist mid. Stainless is 223wylde 1/8 twist mid. Both 16" also, what's the barrel life of a stainless barrel?

Why not nitrided stainless?

Out of the two options you listed, I would pick the stainless.

General purpose go nitride. They can be quite accurate (depending on the barrel itself), and will long out last the stainless one in regards to wear.

If youre talking ballistic advantage barrels. Id go with a hanson profile performance series barrel. Im a huge fan of mine. I dont have the need to spend extra on stainless. I get good enough (bettervl than i shoot) groups, and its light

General purpose go nitride. They can be quite accurate (depending on the barrel itself), and will long out last the stainless one in regards to wear.
+1
Simpleton logic : If you want to look like a knight in shining armor, go stainless. If you want to look black and scary, go nitrided.

If I could, every barrel I would get would be nitrided.

The nitriding process alone provides a good degree of rust resistance because of the alteration of the metal structure.
If it's a specific method of nitriding, i.e. Melonite or QPQ, it's significantly more corrosion *and* wear resistant than Stainless. If they don't pay for the license to use the trademarked terms Melonite or QPQ (or Tennifer), they cannot use them, and just say "nitrided."

1:7 also allows you go throw heavies if you desire.

Good reads to edumacate yo'self:

+1
Simpleton logic : If you want to look like a knight in shining armor, go stainless. If you want to look black and scary, go nitrided.

If I could, every barrel I would get would be nitrided.

The nitriding process alone provides a good degree of rust resistance because of the alteration of the metal structure.
If it's a specific method of nitriding, i.e. Melonite or QPQ, it's significantly more corrosion *and* wear resistant than Stainless. If they don't pay for the license to use the trademarked terms Melonite or QPQ (or Tennifer), they cannot use them, and just say "nitrided."

1:7 also allows you go throw heavies if you desire.

Good reads to edumacate yo'self:
Good reads.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews