JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use a garage sale easy bake mini oven (aka toaster oven)
null_zps2c0172b7.jpg

Nice choices! Between a toaster and the heater with a fan, I am impressed! I typically do my case prep well in advance of my loading. I break them down into two processes so I have a large heap of brass to pull from when I reload that is fully prepped, any time I want to load (or have enough components to load!). My drying method includes a quick shake of the brass to get the excess water out of the insides, then roll a group of them around in a towel, and just set them out in a large pan. I come back a while later and get them cased up.

Note: The SS method even gets rid of the annealing 'collar' common with annealed cases around the necks - on mine anyway. It's great.

Haha, you have to love ingenuity! I use an old jerky maker to dry my brass, works awesome!

I roll it in a towel for a minute or two, pour it into an old roaster pan, then stick it in the oven on 250 for ~15 minutes and play Black Ops II Zombies while my brass is drying.
In other words, I do the herky jerky while drying my brass.

Red Johnson (rrojohnso): I can load ~250 9mm or 40 S&W or ~100 .308 / 180 .223 in my US cleaner. 8 minutes and they're done. Then dump into a rinse bucket, pull and dry.

I'd like to try the stainless tumblers but balk at spending ~$10/lb for the media.

I would too. The most expensive I've found is ~$5 per pound and the best prices are at Stainless Steel shot Produced By Cutting Wire - Pellets, LLC

A USPS Flat Rate box size small will hold all you'll need and some are buying it for just over $3/lb plus the $5 or so for the Post Office.

You'll use your initial amount for somewhere near "forever" so don't buy any more than needed. Most rotary tumblers can only use about 5# when you consider 8# for the gallon of water and another 2# of brass. If you've got a really big tumbler than maybe more would be in order but then the Pellets LLC source would really pay off.

Or he can come over and use mine if he wants.

An idea came out of this. A "Laundromat" for reloaders. A row of coin operated ultrasonic cleaners or rotary tumblers in a real commercial size. Bring your brass, put it in the cleaner/tumbler then "go have a beer". Have your "laundromat" in the back of a large outdoor retailer's store like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.

An idea came out of this. A "Laundromat" for reloaders. A row of coin operated ultrasonic cleaners or rotary tumblers in a real commercial size. Bring your brass, put it in the cleaner/tumbler then "go have a beer". Have your "laundromat" in the back of a large outdoor retailer's store like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.

Alas, Deadshot, you are too far away. I'd love to sink a few beers and pick your brain for whatever gems of wisdom or bad advice may come out.
If'n we all got together for a BBQ 'tumblin' party, I'd bring beer and ribs.

I would too. The most expensive I've found is ~$5 per pound and the best prices are at Stainless Steel shot Produced By Cutting Wire - Pellets, LLC

A USPS Flat Rate box size small will hold all you'll need and some are buying it for just over $3/lb plus the $5 or so for the Post Office.

You'll use your initial amount for somewhere near "forever" so don't buy any more than needed. Most rotary tumblers can only use about 5# when you consider 8# for the gallon of water and another 2# of brass. If you've got a really big tumbler than maybe more would be in order but then the Pellets LLC source would really pay off.

Which gauge do you use? Funny, I have considered nipping 5# off my 0.035 stainless welding wire spool.

I have both a heavy-duty ultrasonic cleaner (larger & more powerful than any sold by reloading companies) and a rotary wet tumbler with high speed motor and stainless pins. Stainless pins win, hands down. Brass severely attenuates ultrasonic waves, so you're limited to smaller batches. Ultrasound won't do much for badly tarnished (e.g. left in the mud and rain for a year) brass. SS pins will get EVERY bit of discoloration COMPLETELY off, inside & out, and leave your brass almost indistinguishable from new. It'll even soften the appearance of deep scratches and extractor marks. I now use my ultrasonic tank exclusively for gun parts.

If you clean brass in bulk, check out this guy: <broken link removed>

I got to thinking about a refinement of the "Laundromat" idea.

One summer, many years and another marriage ago, I spent some time in "Corn Country". My visit there coincided with the visit from the itinerant "Corn Sheller". This was back before combines became the norm and the farmers would merely pick the field corn and store it in old fashioned corn cribs. This "Corn Sheller" would show up at a farm, set up his gear (conveyor belts, shelling equipment, etc) and the cribs would be emptied, corn kernels removed from the cob, and when done he'd just move down the road to another farm.

Moving forward, how about a large Cement Mixer type drum filled with ss pin media, water, soap, and some brightening agent like Lemi-Shine, all on a large trailer. The operator (maybe me) would show up at an appointed time, the "client" would then dump ALL his brass to be cleaned into the drum. 3 hours later it would be dumped into a separator and then "blow dried" while tumbling in another drum/basket. When finished the brass would merely be dumped into a large cardboard box for the client to sort at their leisure and the operator could then be paid off with components. Powder, Brass, Bullets, Primers, or even just plain cash.

Kind of like a variation of the mobile carpet cleaner too.

This is what happens when I wake up at 4 AM and have nothing else to do:s0114::cool::s0155:

...farmers would merely pick the field corn and store it in old fashioned corn cribs.

Sounds like you lived on farms I used to play on as a kid. Still miss jumping from the barn elevator door into a haystack.

I wouldn't use a cement mixer but something like an old Milnor laundromat machine, but it would be a Frankenstein because of all the attachments.
Because you are a business, you have to conform to environmental regs on water cleanliness. There would have to be a centrifuge and filter press to get the crap out and it would have to be treated as haz waste.
Ideally cases are deprimed before cleaning. Then wash, sort, count and discharge by caliber.

I did not read all the replies, so someone may have already posted the truth about case cleaning before I doid but from what I did read, it seems unlikely.

if you are the ultimate user of the brass, and not preparing the cases for resale, there is no need to go to great trouble and expense to clean them. The truth is that all you need your be is clean--that's it. You don't need polish. You don't need them to blind you with their wonderful shiny exteriors and interiors. They do not shoot any better after a lot expense and time has been wasted on them than if they were pretty much left alone after firing. There are competition shooters who campaign the entire season without cleaning the brass except for a couple twirls of the neck brush inside and hall of fame shooters who do not even do that.

Primer pockets are easily cleaned with a brush built for that purpose when you are checking the OAL prior to trimming. If you have to decap before cleaning you are adding a step and screwing up your dies by forcing gritty cases into them--what !!!???! you bought a decapper die--for that???!!! If so, I have some Arizona swamp land that looks like a great investment--let's get together real soon. US cleaner--sloppy and the same primer pocket objection applies.

Again, unless you are cleaning cases for resale or just like wasting this ---->there is no need to spend $$$$$ and extra time on SS media, Ceramic media, or US cleaners and chemicals, when the cheapest vibratory cleaner using properly sized walnut media and Bon Ami will get your cases as clean as you need them. Period. End of Story--don't be a sucker save your money and time for better things like a set of wind flags or a really-- I mean really --good scope.............

There are competition shooters who campaign the entire season without cleaning the brass except for a couple twirls of the neck brush inside and hall of fame shooters who do not even do that.

And yet there are Competition Shooters that are now moving into the world of weighing all charges from their Harrell's powder measures rather than just relying on "clicks and reputation of the measure". Some are also recognizing that that carbon buildup inside the case does affect the performance of their rounds and are using ultrasonic cleaners after every Match or Range Practice session.

If all you're trying to do is hit a 10" circle at 1,000 yards (or the 5" X-Ring) then maybe cleaning cases is too much of a burden. For those who win or loose with a thousandth or two larger "bullet hole" then they'll go to the extra effort.

For those that think cleaning cases is too much of an effort there will always be those they can point to that don't and win. For those that want to clean, like the results, they too can point to winners that do likewise.

In the end, it's probably the shooters skill that's making the most difference, not whether the cases shine or don't. Funny thing though, most of the match winners I know don't shoot filthy ammo.

Just an update, I have used both methods of brass cleaning and I now lean towards stainless steel tumbling, I found the ideal time, amount of brass, and amount of cleaners to use, these are my results:

300AAC Blackout brass - 3 hours, 150ct, 1 heap teaspoonful of Dawn liquid detergent and Lemi Shine (available at Wall Mart)
9mm brass - 3 hours, 250ct, 1 heap teaspoonful of Dawn liquid detergent and Lemi Shine (available at Wall Mart)
40 cal brass - 3 hours, 200ct, 1 heap teaspoonful of Dawn liquid detergent and Lemi Shine (available at Wall Mart)
45 cal brass - 3 hours, 200ct, 1 heap teaspoonful of Dawn liquid detergent and Lemi Shine (available at Wall Mart)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top