Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Stainless steel media in tumbler?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by nickmoon, Mar 7, 2013.

1. nickmoon

nickmoon Portland Member

Was looking around for some new media for my tumbler and saw quite a few stainless steel rods. Here is a link from ebay
    Anyone use this? Seems like they want you to use a rotational tumbler not a vibrating one?

Also, any way to "recharge" your conrcob/walnut media?

Thanks all
    N

2. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Yup that's what you want. At least it's what I use in my tumbler. After a few hours it makes the brass look like new.

3. nickmoon

nickmoon Portland Member

But i need a different tumbler? Which one are you using? Harbor Freight has a little guy but capacity looks laughable.
    n

4. Tim K

Tim K Colorado Member

I use a Thumler's Tumbler, high speed model. The HF unit got terrible reviews so I avoided it. Conventional wisdom says the SS pins don't work well in a traditional tumbler, but I can say I've ever tried it.

If you like CLEAN brass including the primer pockets, SS is the way to go. If you're loading on a progressive, I wouldn't bother.

A capful of Dillon brass polish extends the life of my corncob media very well.

5. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Contact NWFA member "skydiver" and get some good walnut for a good price from him. You'll find his ad in the reloading classified.

6. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I have a Thumbler's. I use nothing but stainless steel pins, hot water and Dawn. Usually start it just before going to bed and take it out and rinse when I get up. The water turns really dark, but as I said before the brass ends up looking like new.

I ran out of Dawn and tried some Tide laundry detergent. It didn't turn out very good. The brass all ended up clean, but black. I suspect the Tide reacted to the rubber drum liner. I thought about starting a thread about it on what NOT to do.

7. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member

Thumlers here too. .75 gal water, 5 lbs pins, 4 lbs brass (it's a good size brass load) dash of Dawn, dash of lemishine, let it run. ~4-5 hours for the grungiest nastiest range brass you can find and it comes out looking like new. Previously processed or truly once-fired, maybe 2 hours tops, still experimenting.

8. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

"Conventional Wisdom" is mistaking those "vibrating bowls" with "traditional tumblers". A traditional tumbler is just an old rock tumbler that reloaders started using to clean their brass. Because of the Stainless Pin success, many are returning to the conventional tumbler, not to be convinced with a "vibrator".

9. seawash

seawash Slightly East of Memphis New Member

10. nickmoon

nickmoon Portland Member

seawash, that is by FAR the best use for a treadmill yet! After seeing the results with SS in a tumbler I think that is my next move. They look better than new honestly, don't think mine can do that, some of my brass is pretty beat.
    n

11. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Yes, just what a treadmill should be used for. Looks like one could also do multiple batches on the same unit. Just add tubes.

Out of curiosity, what, if anything is added to the inside of the tubes to enhance the tumbling action. It would seem that a smooth tube wouldn't cause the media and cases to tumble but rather just slosh in the bottom half of the tube. All my tumblers either have flats on the side or actual agitator fins/ribs in them.

12. seawash

seawash Slightly East of Memphis New Member

I bought a cheap plastic kitchen cutting board, cut it into strips the length of the tube and .75 inches wide, beveled them slightly with a grinder, and then glued 4 strips inside the tube with PVC pipe glue. so far they have held up for a year.

To raise the tube off of the belt, i first put a couple of layers of foam weather seal for windows. I have since replaced that with the rubber wheels from and old polaris pool cleaner that I had laying around in the garage; they were an exact fit.

Seawash

13. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

That is fricken awesome. Good job.

14. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

Wow. That's awesome Seawash. Wish I had a treadmill and the room to have one just sitting around. That would take up my whole reloading room!

I'll have to look at rotary tumblers and stainless steel as soon as I work through my 3bs of corncob and walnut.