JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
we have a large collection of old kitchen knifes
my wife's grandmother had the first TV cooking show in Portland - if any of you remember, she was sponsored by PGE
so we have all the presentation knives she was given to demonstrate on her show

I've read the old standard was BLO, but this doesn't seal the wood against meat juice and cooking oils
I read that Danish oil is recommended - the same oil I use on my Mosins and Mauser - have lots

what do you guys use?

If you want a permanent sealant, ca glue works really well. Tru-oil will also provide a more water resistant finish than blo or Danish. I use mineral oil on my natural wood handled kitchen knives.

Here's one I did with a ca glue finish.
IMG_20210721_102820_195.jpg

thanks for the feedback
we have some good weather out here - plan to do all the knives this summer
If you want a permanent sealant, ca glue works really well. Tru-oil will also provide a more water resistant finish than blo or Danish. I use mineral oil on my natural wood handled kitchen knives.

Here's one I did with a ca glue finish.
View attachment 1232211
I use Ca glue to repair rifle stock and knife handles - are you saying coat the entire handle in it?

thanks for the feedback
we have some good weather out here - plan to do all the knives this summer

I use Ca glue to repair rifle stock and knife handles - are you saying coat the entire handle in it?
You can, make sure you use the super thin so that it soaks into the grain before it hardens, plan several coats until you get a sort of waxy looking finish, then switch to a High Fill/gap filling CA glue and repeat as needed to get it fully sealed and smooth! From there, you can sand to get the smoothest finish, and even buff it out if you want! You wanna visit the good hobby shops or order it on line, one, you can get larger quantities, and two, you are assured of the quality!

This is the ONLY brand I use, it's well proven, and has the highest strength by quite a bit! You can get large bottles, up to 8 oz I believe!
1656643670949.png

I use Tung oil for such things in our kitchen, initially, along with carnauba if I have it, but usually just paraffin and buffed up if I need it spiffy looking. Raw Linseed oil works well too if the weather is right and you have the drying time patients, too much work for me. I keep paraffin in my kitchen drawer and once in a while when things are dry dry rub it on the handles of things (knives, wooden spoons etc.) I feel wood has a bad rap for health issues but try popping off the plastic handles of some of your kitchen things and see the disgusting stuff trapped under the handles. Its all about your cleaning habits, Along with soap, we use a little bleach from time to time especially after butchering or meat cutting use, which seems to have kept us safe for over 70 years. I'm not recommending anything, just offering my insight.

I use Tung oil for such things in our kitchen, initially, along with carnauba if I have it, but usually just paraffin and buffed up if I need it spiffy looking. Raw Linseed oil works well too if the weather is right and you have the drying time patients, too much work for me. I keep paraffin in my kitchen drawer and once in a while when things are dry dry rub it on the handles of things (knives, wooden spoons etc.) I feel wood has a bad rap for health issues but try popping off the plastic handles of some of your kitchen things and see the disgusting stuff trapped under the handles. Its all about your cleaning habits, Along with soap, we use a little bleach from time to time especially after butchering or meat cutting use, which seems to have kept us safe for over 70 years. I'm not recommending anything, just offering my insight.
Danish oil has a tung oil base
will see what works best for us here

Spar Urethane is another great sealant, and can be found in matt, semi-gloss, and glossy. it does a great job sealing wood, and is both durable and easy to maintain! Varathane Spar is what I use, but the Min-wax brand is also very good!

Pro Tip, get the wood nice and hot, and keep it hot while applying the finish, once you get a coat or two, let it sit for a dew days and then repeat as needed until you get the finish you want!

we have a large collection of old kitchen knifes
my wife's grandmother had the first TV cooking show in Portland - if any of you remember, she was sponsored by PGE
so we have all the presentation knives she was given to demonstrate on her show

I've read the old standard was BLO, but this doesn't seal the wood against meat juice and cooking oils
I read that Danish oil is recommended - the same oil I use on my Mosins and Mauser - have lots

what do you guys use?
mineral oil...that's all I have used on my wooden handled knives for the last 35 years...works great, seals the wood for a while, it is considered edible, so not threatening to ingest, used in baby lotions (gotta be safe for that). You need to reapply it every six months or so.

I sand them to 800 grit and use tung oil. Usually do a coat in the morning, one in the evening and another the next morning. Second evening i take it to a buffing wheel with green polish make it sparkle. So far they are water resistant and no complaints yet.

My favorite wood sealer is a great product made by Dayl's and it's labeled Profin.
You have to carefully stir the bottom of the can as one of the ingredients is some kind of wax which settles when stored on a shelf.
Very easy to work with and extremely durable.

1657421100015.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads