JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I am not able to afford a true gun safe, and being a second floor apartment, I am looking into the Stack On Gun cabinets. The last question I have I can't seem to find a definitive answer for, so here it is.

Will moisture be a problem if guns/ammo are stored inside with desiccant/dehumidifier?

Since I am not able to afford a true gun safe, and being a second floor apartment, I am looking into the Stack On Gun cabinets. The last question I have I can't seem to find a definitive answer for, so here it is.

Will moisture be a problem if guns/ammo are stored inside with desiccant/dehumidifier?

It shouldn't be as long as you replace your desicant from time to time and keep your guns oiled.

Cheaper than dirt has some dehumidifiers for sale that seem to work well. I have their big one in my gun safe in the garage and have seen no problems in the 5 months I've had it. It's nice because you can visually see the crystals. When they are blue they are working. When they have turned pink they have soaked up all the moisture they can hold. You then just take the humidifier out, plug it into an outlet until the crystals turn blue again (it dries them out), and put it back in the safe.

A simpler solution is to go to Bi-Mart and get some stuff that I believe is called the The World's Best Kitty Litter. It is pure silical gel. Just buy a cheap pair of Leggs stockings, fill them up with the Kitty litter, tie them off and throw them in the safe. Poor mans dehumidifier.

Thanks - Also I was just looking around and for a bit more I could get one of the Sentry 10/14 Gun Safes. It's an actual safe so it would make sense that paying a little more for a safe is better.

Anyone have any experience with the Sentry safes?

With any of the cheaper safes the big difference is in how long you will inconvenience the meth head before he gets your guns. :s0114: I ended up buying a fairly expensive safe just because I wanted the added security, but even my safe would probably be vulnerable to a real pro burgler.

Just buy the best safe you can for the money and spend the rest on an insurance rider to cover the guns against theft, fire, or water damage.

I've had a stack on 14 gun safe for almost a decade. I have a couple of small dessicant pouches in the door pockets and I haven't had any issues ever. I'm not sure if keeping my safe in my closet over the years has anything else to do with it but I've been lucky. :D

Gun cabinets are great! When a couple meth heads break in, all your guns are in one nice convenient container for 2 thieves to carry out by hand.

That's the main reason I bought the safe I did. Between the safe and all the guns and ammo it probably weighs close to 1,400 lbs. Any two meth heads that can haul that thing off I don't want to mess with. :s0114:

Well I certainly don't want to get something that just makes it convenient for the meth heads to carry out.

I'm looking at other safes now, I think I'll just be saving up and buying something heavier and more secure. I'm looking at a Sentry 14 gun safe, just shy of 400lbs empty.

Well I certainly don't want to get something that just makes it convenient for the meth heads to carry out.

I'm looking at other safes now, I think I'll just be saving up and buying something heavier and more secure. I'm looking at a Sentry 14 gun safe, just shy of 400lbs empty.

The sentry safe I have has holes in the back and the bottom. Bolt it to the floor and to the wall and you will be much better off--thieves wont be able to just carry it away nor can they get it on its back so that they have tons of leverage against the door.

I considered buying a $2k-$5k safe, but figured that since my entire collection is worth maybe $3k, that much money on a safe was silly.

Or get something cheap that a couple of scrawny meth-tards can carry out. Just don't keep your guns in it (maybe $20 in pennies, a 6 pack of beer, and a few smokes). They'll think they got your SHTF "stash," and might just move on in celebration.

Thanks - Also I was just looking around and for a bit more I could get one of the Sentry 10/14 Gun Safes. It's an actual safe so it would make sense that paying a little more for a safe is better.

Anyone have any experience with the Sentry safes?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE........

Stay away, FAR away from Sentry Safes. I have opened more faulty Sentry safes than I can remember. Sorry to offend, but they are JUNK!

I've opened Sentry gun safes and fire safes. We get at least 3 a month that people bring to us because they can't get them open. They aren't worth repairing.

Stick with the gun cabinet. I have a Stack On that I've had for several years. When I bought my gun safe I kept the Stack On for ammo storage. I added two hasps and padlocks for security.

What would you recommend? I want to try and keep it under $800, but if I need to spend more to secure thousands of dollars worth of guns, ammo, and other important items, I just have to do what I have to do.

I haven't kept up on prices lately but Northwest Safe in Enumclaw used to have some good deals at the WAC gun show in Puyallup. See thier website. There is one on sale for just under $500.

http://www.nwsafe.com/sale.php

Do what you have to do to protect your guns. I have helped countless people after they have had thier guns stolen.

Most American made gun safes are worth the investment. Look for a safe that has bolts around the entire door. Electronic safe locks are convenient but don't hold up as well as a traditional mechanical locks. Most will have a fire liner.

When you get it home, bolt it down. Most attacks on safes in general are done by rookies. They break off the handle and dial not realizing that they made things worse. Don't make it easy for them to cart it off. On a level surface, once I get your safe on an appliance dolly I can move it myself. Imagine what two guys can do?

Consider joining the NRA. One benefit is $1000 in insurance for your guns. No it ain't much but it's something. And you'll be supporting the gun movement.

Also, some safe companies will deliver and setup your new safe for a fee. Sometimes it's well worth the cost. If you have it delivered, do it during the week when most of your neighbors are at work. The less they see, the better off you'll be.

Just my two cents: I have more than one safe. I do own a Stack ON, which I installed in a storage closet with a cement floor. It's bolted to the floor, and to the wall studs. I weight 250 Lbs. and I cant get it to budge. That being said, I also have a good ins. policy, it covers my firearms against any sort of loss. I could drop one in the ocean, and get a brand new gun to replace it. If I were you, get an inexpensive safe, and a good renters ins. policy, and insure your firearms. The safe is more to show you took prudent measures to keep children and thieves out. If someone really wants your stuff, and has time, they will get it.

Just my two cents: I have more than one safe. I do own a Stack ON, which I installed in a storage closet with a cement floor. It's bolted to the floor, and to the wall studs. I weight 250 Lbs. and I cant get it to budge. That being said, I also have a good ins. policy, it covers my firearms against any sort of loss. I could drop one in the ocean, and get a brand new gun to replace it. If I were you, get an inexpensive safe, and a good renters ins. policy, and insure your firearms. The safe is more to show you took prudent measures to keep children and thieves out. If someone really wants your stuff, and has time, they will get it.

I did the same for many years, only mine was the Homac (sp). Bolted to wall studs with lag bolts and big washers. Doubt if a meth head would ever take the time to pull one off the wall in the master closet. Worked for me for 20 years or so.

In a heated apartment moisture control is not usually a big problem.

Now have a nice expensive Fort Knox fire proof safe.

Same here. Have the Stack-On double door model with LOTS of bolts to the walls and floor. Someone will spend some time trying to get it.

Eventually I'll get a "real" heavy duty safe but for now, the green rectangles are hard to come by. :s0131:

I think for right now I'm just going to buy a Stack On Cabinet and modify it a bit.

I really do want a safe but I need to save up so I can actually get one that's worth while. For the meantime the Stack On will do.

I think for right now I'm just going to buy a Stack On Cabinet and modify it a bit.

I really do want a safe but I need to save up so I can actually get one that's worth while. For the meantime the Stack On will do.

Yes its a good stop gap measure when money is tight. It will keep your teens from showing your guns to their friends when you are not home and protect your collection from the average home thief.

Yes, a pro can defeat the locks and crowbar the door. But that takes some time and makes some noise.

Add an alarm to your place and that will make the thief move through the home quickly to escape before they risk getting caught.

I plan on rigging an alarm to the cabinet itself, among other security measure.

I just set it up and put my rifles in there and can already tell this cabinet won't cut it for long, but it will act as a security measure for right now.

Cabelas has a new(er) model safe, from Liberty, that is $700 with locking bolts on three sides, it has a good amount of storage so that is probably what I'll end up getting next year.

I had one for years in a closet, and made it relatively bomb-proof. Closet placement denies most crowbar leverage! Sure, it is relativly thin sheet metal, but you can make it very hard to get into. A cheap thief might try to cut into it but it would take a lot of time and noise. A real pro would not even bother with it.

First, use three-inch, three-eights-inch lag screws deep into the wall studs and floor, backed with a couple of fender washers to support the metal. Drill more holes in the cabinet for MORE lag screws. HARD to pry out!

Second, beef up that piano hinge! It is held with aluminum POP RIVETS that can easily be chiseled through, so drill ten or so holes down the length of both piano hinge leafs and install small STEEL flat-head bolts and nuts. No longer easy to chisel.

Third, as mentioned, add two or three beefy security padlock hasps, the kind that covers the screw heads with its own steel. Back up all bolts with fender washers so prying will not tear the sheet metal. For even more protection, add the hasps to the hinge side as well. Use BIG padlocks (I like the Master Disc-Lock, hard to cut or pick) and you can order a bunch all keyed-alike.

Finally, put all of your full ammo-cans inside the cabinet! The weight quickly adds up to require a hand truck to move, IF they ever managed to destroy the house walls to get it out!

You would need the time to do all of this stuff, but the Stack On closet cabinet can be found on sale for under a hundred bucks, and all of the hardware and locks would be also under a hundred bucks, plus the whole thing can still be unbolted and transported with you if you move............................elsullo :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top