JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should our organization continue to raffle off AR-15's or other firearms?

• Total voters
Why would anybody harass them? The only person that might, a mentally unstable public indoctrinator that suspends kids because their pop-tart resembles the shape of a gun. St. Helens isn't Portland, yet.

Sadly, firearms continue to be a controversial subject. And with the explosion of social media/internet use the life of most girls in St. Helens is much larger than just St. Helens. I hope they had a say in this and I hope they know how to handle any negativity that might come their way.

I agree. Also hope that this whole thing doesn't become so big that the girls can't just enjoy being young and playing a sport they love. It would be sad if this degraded to where everywhere they play became a stage for gun rights fanatics, on both sides, to push their views.

It seems like the left is the side making a big deal out of this. I don't see this so much as "a stage for gun right fanatics...to push their views". I see it as a group wanting to raise money via a raffle to support a deserving group of young people. They chose a product for that raffle that would be popular amongst the rural people in their area. It would give them a good chance of selling the maximum number of tickets and therefor raising the most money. I'm sure the other side would feel more comfortable if the raffle prize was something else, but if the goal is to raise money to support these young ladies, wouldn't it be sensible to choose an item that would maximize the number of tickets sold?
As I see it, if the other side has an issue with the AR and are harassing the girls, that is a problem with them, not the girls, coaches, or supporters...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's a great way to raise money. I am going to buy tickets. Just saying that I hope people will leave the debate for the proper venue and let the girls play. Would hate to see people with signs and shirts arguing in the stands over something that has nothing to do with the game.

I love the idea myself. If they are selling as fast as you say then raise the rate or double the tickets sold. It's a great idea and you are getting a lot of attention at the moment. It won't last so milk it while you can.

Maybe some $1-5 tickets for a box of .22's or other ammo.

Wish I could make it out there to support you.

You are more likely to be killed by girl scout cookies than this AR.

As a long tenured board member of a different youth softball league I say the complainers should either write a $2k check to the league or pound sand.
Funds are very hard to come by for our leagues and most of the parents do nothing but sell a measley body of candy towards the effort. Costs go up every year and boards get bad mouthed for raising registration fees because of it. Most of the complaints and issues come from fat mouthed lazy parents who never lift a finger, while coaches chauffer their little darlings around.d and baby sit them for hours.
Most of my fellow board members haven't even had kids playing KB the league for years but can't retire because nobody else will step up.
Quit complaining about this honest and LEGAL wag to raise barley needed funds or stand in the gap.
Rant off.

You are more likely to be killed by girl scout cookies than this AR.

As a long tenured board member of a different youth softball league I say the complainers should either write a $2k check to the league or pound sand.
Funds are very hard to come by for our leagues and most of the parents do nothing but sell a measley body of candy towards the effort. Costs go up every year and boards get bad mouthed for raising registration fees because of it. Most of the complaints and issues come from fat mouthed lazy parents who never lift a finger, while coaches chauffer their little darlings around.d and baby sit them for hours.
Most of my fellow board members haven't even had kids playing KB the league for years but can't retire because nobody else will step up.
Quit complaining about this honest and LEGAL wag to raise barley needed funds or stand in the gap.
Rant off.

Well, I don't have kids playing in softball, but if I did then you just said everything I would have :) .

I can tell you first hand, having raised five children in St.Helens and having coached at this very league there are very few people who are opposing this fund raiser, I think its a awesome fund raiser. someone found something that's going to sell and sell well. people in the smaller community's are fund raised out, girl scouts, boy scouts, little league, senior league, girls softball, soccer, band, hi school sports etc. etc. etc. The city will put forth very little funds toward the fields these kids play on, they don't have the budget for it(another effed up topic), so I say carry on and ride this horse till it drops. and if you don't like it then donate the time and money that the program needs, if your anti second then move to new York or California, Im sure feinstine would be glad to have you.

This is a firearms related forum. What did you expect the results to be?

I think it's a good place to poll 2-A supporters and see if this particular segment of citizens would pose intelligent arguments against this type of issue.

Unlikely to find many opposing views here, but certainly worth the question just to see.

As a fellow St Helen's resident you have support from myself and my family.

It's a adult raffle for a adult item. I see it as no different then raffling off a bottle of fine wine, a box of Cuban cigars, or a case of craft beer. Adults raising money for the betterment of our community.

I still don't see what the problem is. Would the anti-gunners prefer they auction a box of 1,000 condoms instead?
The point is to raffle off something people WANT to win. Voiceing opinon otherwise is a slap to the face of everybody who bought a ticket. "How DARE you want a semi-automatic (if you don't know the definition of that please look it up right now) rifle?"
What makes this rifle out of the 1,000,000 or so sold in the U.S. since the last election more likely to end up in the hands of a lunatic? Some loon supporting a girls softball league? LOL!
Any negativity directed towards the athletes simply shows the true nature of those who say it, and probably make a second amendment advocate for the rest of their life. Regardless of their stance before. It's win-win for the pro-gun side.
What are they going to say? I'll kill you for raffling off a rifle? Gimme a break.

About five years ago a John Day HS student sold a group of us sage rat hunters raffle tickets for a Wby Vanguard .223. Don't recall the details, but it was associated with a HS function or a group of students participating in some activity such as sports. Didn't think twice about it and we all bought tickets.

Just a couple years ago my daughter's softball team raffled off a gun safe. We made big bucks selling tickets at a sporting good store and the PDX Outdoorsman show. A group of cute girls selling gun stuff to a predominately male market...it is genius. Like selling fat people cookies.

I think it's a good place to poll 2-A supporters and see if this particular segment of citizens would pose intelligent arguments against this type of issue.

Unlikely to find many opposing views here, but certainly worth the question just to see.

As a fellow St Helen's resident you have support from myself and my family.

It's a adult raffle for a adult item. I see it as no different then raffling off a bottle of fine wine, a box of Cuban cigars, or a case of craft beer. Adults raising money for the betterment of our community.

Now that would be Illegal. (The whole embargo thinggy)

not to nit pic but just to inform.

Tickets for the next AR-15 raffle will be sold today at Skinny’s Texaco: 373 S Columbia River Hwy, St Helens, OR 97051

We will be there at 12:00PM until tickets are gone.

Out of town people will be able to purchase tickets for our 3rd AR-15 raffle, which will begin soon after the drawing of the second raffle.

Thank you for your awesome support

Tickets for the next AR-15 raffle will be sold today at Skinny's Texaco: 373 S Columbia River Hwy, St Helens, OR 97051

We will be there at 12:00PM until tickets are gone.

Out of town people will be able to purchase tickets for our 3rd AR-15 raffle, which will begin soon after the drawing of the second raffle.

Thank you for your awesome support

Thank you, so much for doing this.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top