JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I graduated from Scappoose high school in '05, and I now live in St. Helens, and Scappoose has definitely changed since then. I commonly refer to it as a suburb of Portland, and while it is a little better in St. Helens (If you don't like Portland), it is getting worse as the months go by.

What's getting worse?

What's getting worse?

Well, I guess some would call it progress, but I don't like change. They are slamming houses in areas that were once open fields with livestock, because there is increased demand for housing with all the people moving out here from Portland. People have a right to do whatever they want with their own property, but I just miss the small town I grew up in, it is not the same at all.
It also has a different feel, more people with bad attitudes walking around, and punk teenagers too, and obviously with the increased influx of people, there is more crime. I have no statistics, maybe it just seems that way to me, maybe I have soured with age.

Well, I guess some would call it progress, but I don't like change. They are slamming houses in areas that were once open fields with livestock, because there is increased demand for housing with all the people moving out here from Portland. People have a right to do whatever they want with their own property, but I just miss the small town I grew up in, it is not the same at all.
It also has a different feel, more people with bad attitudes walking around, and punk teenagers too, and obviously with the increased influx of
people, there is more crime. I have no statistics, maybe it just seems that way to me, maybe I have soured with age.

Ironically I know that feeling. I've lived in communities where it's a very common sentiment. Unfortunately, it's like heat. People will 'leak' from high concentration to the low concentrations next to the high. It's almost always for economic reasons. The sad result is that our small towns are dying, and I wish we could see some revitalization efforts to combat that.

Losing small towns would harm a way of life that many of us grew up with. I've been in urban sprawl and simply don't like it. For all the reasons said.

It also has a different feel, more people with bad attitudes walking around, and punk teenagers too, and obviously with the increased influx of people, there is more crime. I have no statistics, maybe it just seems that way to me, maybe I have soured with age.

I don't know about Scappoose, but Saint Helens has only grown by 22 people in the last 3 years... which could easily be explained by teenage pregnancy. Ain't nobody moving to this town, bro.

I only wish Oregon as a State would allow all of it's citizens to defend there own lives and the lives of our children when attending school.
There was a time my kids took there rifles and shot guns to school and without indecent went pidgin hunting or target shooting 'as an example' after school.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads