JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So we finally found the hole he was getting in through, and plugged it with some old shirts wrapped around mothballs. Come payday I'm picking up some expanding foundation foam and really plugging it up. Then if I hear him scratching near the hole again he's dead. Thanks for all the answers everyone!

Squirrels are intelligent, and if that was a nice home for him he will chew his way back in in minutes. You have to get some sheet metal and nail it over the area. Even a large coffee can bottom will do.....................elsullo :s0155:

Is the squirrel dead yet? Reminds me of a Dirty Jobs episode on Comcast On-Demand right now....VexCon. Chicken wire one-way trap nailed to the house lets the booger leave, but not get back in.

Anyway, hope you got it.

First of all if you are going to use a rat trap,then drive a few small nails through the bottom so when the bar flips closed the trapped rodent is impailed and cannot wiggle loose.Second if you live trap a rodent of any kind,especially an opossums,racoons or squirrels,DO NOT take them out to the country and let them loose.We already have more then our fair share from weak minded individuals who wish to save the animal.If you want to save it keep it at YOUR house otherwise kill it.If I catch anybody releasing problem animals anywhere near me there will be **** to pay...

One way to catch a squirrel is to act like a nut.

If you use a live trap you could do what my G'pa used to do. Toss the cage in the creek. Come back next day and pull the rope that you tied it to back up out of the creek.

Ok, first let's get one thing straight: They are not squirrels, they are TREE RATS! Rat traps work really well and snap their necks most of the time if you bait them right: Put peanut butter on the *bottom* of the bait lever and they will trip the trap every time. They always have their head turned sideways and perfectly aligned for the spring bar in my experience. If you have wood or other siding that they can climb screwing the trap to the wall near a corner works pretty well and keeps kids and pets safe. I don't recommend poisoned peanut butter, I had very little success with it and it's illegal almost everywhere. If the tree rat will eat poisoned bait he'll trip a rat trap! If anybody asks about a squirrel in your rat trap you can CYA with, "Oops! I was trying to get rid of rats."

By far my favorite way to eliminate tree rats is with #8 Squirrel & Chipmunk, errr, I mean Dove & Quail loads from a full choke 12 gauge. It knocks them right out of the trees and a shovel works well to scoop up the larger chunks. :s0155:

Dang things seem to have a thing for dry cat food and the cat it's set out for seems to want to share (scared of coons).

I can verify this. Surprised our local matriarch a few weeks ago...IN my house...shoveling cat food from their bowl into her mouth. Damned thing blithely stood there and took a couple more paw fulls before skittering off. 'Course she apparently ate the cat since then to reduce competition.

If I understand you correctly - You have a squirrel that has found a way to get into your walls? And he avails himself periodically on the roof.
Yes you can trap and arrange for relocation - FAR from your place - Maybe a friends.

But the bigger issue seems tobe access to the inside of the walls. If one has found it - So will others.

We had tree rats in texas and you could hear them in the ceiling. Fairly common

What we did ( Pest Guy did). Blocked all sources for the animal to enter the house . We had wire mesh on anything that was a possible entry ( Fireplace, Roof vents, Any potential places at the base of the house)
Just closing off anything that looks like they can get in.
Amazing all the framing wood the rats chewed to get into and out of places.

Then he set traps with Peanut Butter.

Eliminate the entry points and that is one step.
If there is a primary point - wait until he is out and then close it up.

Traps can get smelly if you catch one and forget the trap is up there

Listen for the sound in the wall, mark and "X", then hit it with a 12GA, 00 buck. That should eliminate the problem as well as a few walls!!

We have a family of them living in a hollow brick column I built around a wood column some years back. They ate through the main supply line to the overhead drip system on the front porch and rear deck. Now I see they've chewed through the wood lattice work on the upstairs deck where we let our cats out on nice days. Odds: seven cats, one squirrel.

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Put out a bird feeder with a live trap cage near it, then you can humanly shoot it if you like, or take it somewhere and release. We get a bunch of squirrels at our bird feeder, but they don't cause any problems so I don't care to mess with them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top