JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know, not really a hunting question, but this squirrel is driving me nuts. How do you recommend I dispatch it? Rat traps crossed my mind, and the last time this happened a 20 caliber pellet gun worked pretty good but I'm not sure that's legal. The little bastard has me up after like 3 hours of sleep scratching away in there, and I'm sitting here with the pellet gun waiting for him to show his face on the roof outside the window like he does all the time.

Please help me save my sanity by expediting the removal of this soon to be ex-squirrel.

Jordan

I had a friend that had a problem with a possum getting into her garage and laundry room that was able to borrow a live trap from the County Extension Service and put some cat food in it. You might try the same.

It ended up being a hilarious episode. After trapping her own cat twice, she finally managed to catch the possum. She called the extension service and asked them to come pick up the possom and they said "we don't do that". She asked them what to do and they suggested she fill up a large trash barrel with water and submerge the trap in the water to drown the possum.

So she fills the trash can with water, puts the trap with the possum in it, slaps the lid on and goes away for about 20 min. Whe she comes out and takes the lid off of the trash can, there clinging to the top of the trap is one very ticked off possum hissing at her! :s0114: The trap didn't completely submerge in the water so there was just enough air space for the possum to breath. A friend finally came by and took it and released it in the woods.

One of my factors here is a severe lack of money, and the last "professional" I spent anything on did absolutely nothing save for sell us a useless high frequency noise maker he claimed would make the squirrel go so crazy it would just pack up and leave (did not happen). I think I may have found the entrance it uses, so once I figure out a way to get rid of the little bugger I'll fix up the hole so no more can use it. I'm going to try the county today.

Bad advice. I would have the question the heart of a person who would take the life of man or beast in that way.

Not saying it's not, but the upshot is the possum got released live in the woods at the end of the day. May not be the best option, but it's better than poison. We had a guy behind us that put some poison out for a possum. Unfortunately, the possum pooped in a neighbors back yard before dying and the neighbors dog ate the poop and died as well. :(

An old back-country redneck method of hunting squirrels is to nail big hardware store rat traps to tree trunks and bait with peanut butter. If the buggars lick off the peanut butter without triggering the trap, use raisins or a prune for bait so that they have to pull on it. Figure out the squirrel's travel route to his hole in your house, and bait accordingly.

Also, dropping mothballs into their hole has been said to repell rodents for good. I don't know if that is proven, though.....................elsullo

We had the same problem a couple years ago,so I got one of those Riddex-gadgets that you plug into an electrical outlet.It hasn't been back since.You can't use those if you have any hamsters or ferrets or any other type of rodent for pets;it will drive them insane. It worked for me and was well worth the $15 I paid for it.

I would shoot it with a pellet gun.:D

but if you can't do that, then i like the rat trap and peanut butter. Then shoot it with the pellet gun to put it out of misery if it isn't dead.

Yeah, the last squirrel got shot with the pellet gun. I hit this one coming off the roof but just his front leg...so he's limping for now. I'm going to investigate my trap options today, but so far rat traps and mothballs sound like a good backup.

I know it's a squirrel because we've had this problem before, and we can hear the little f*cker chattering in there. I hate squirrels...more than rats or mice. Evan if I trap it it's probably going to die. This time I'm not making the mistake of not plugging the hole...and putting some mothballs down there for good effect.

Try dryer sheets like bounce, snuggle etc. that works for rats, especially in vehicles like motorhomes. If the hole their coming in through is not easily plugged, stuff it with steel wool and cover with the spray can type spray foam. They dont like the foam taste and really dont want to bite the steel wool more than once.
I would also suggest that if this section of wall has wiring going through it that you visually inpect for damage after it is gone. I have seen older homes that the wiring goes up and down to each connection but most go across the wall and could be chewed on. If the house is newer it should have a fire block halfway up (if that's still code) so this would keep it above the wiring. Just a heads up on the possibility of a bigger problem than the noise.

I hate squirrels...more than rats or mice. Evan if I trap it it's probably going to die.

I admire the passion. I feel the same way about raccoons. God i hate Raccoons. Ow and Ground squirrels. I really really hate ground squirrels. You know, i think i hate squirrels in general just because of ground squirrels.

I cant wait for ground squirrel season again.

happy hunting. Enjoy it. I cant wait to finish my suppressor just for the damn raccoons around me, i might have to extend its uses to squirrels also. (only during legal hunting seasons)

I admire the passion. I feel the same way about raccoons. God i hate Raccoons. Ow and Ground squirrels. I really really hate ground squirrels. You know, i think i hate squirrels in general just because of ground squirrels.

I cant wait for ground squirrel season again.

happy hunting. Enjoy it. I cant wait to finish my suppressor just for the damn raccoons around me, i might have to extend its uses to squirrels also. (only during legal hunting seasons)

So I take it you don't like squirrels much......
I thought it was squirrel season 365:D
I have coons on my back deck regularly but they rarely make it off the deck. Dang things seem to have a thing for dry cat food and the cat it's set out for seems to want to share (scared of coons). The last one was around 15lbs or at least felt like it when I picked it up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top