Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Squirrel Hazing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cougfan2, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

The wife and I put the bird feeders out in the back yard about a week ago and a pair of young squirrels have been raiding one. I'm trying various ways to keep them off the feeders with some methods working better than others.

In searching the internet for advice on keeping the furry bandidos at bay, I ran across this video of "The Yankee Flipper" squirrel proof bird feeder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEW9TG6Dcgg&feature=player_embedded

It's pricey at about $140.00 bucks, but it might be worth it for the entertainment value alone. LMAO :laugh:

2. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Harmless and funny!

3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Not near as much fun as "The Rodenator:"

http://www.rodenator.com/pests-controls-videos-rodenators

4. Cougfan2

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

6. Cougfan2

7. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

8. Cougfan2

Freakin' amazing! I am seriously thinking about ordering one of these things just for the entertainment value, although I might have to keep importing new dumb squirrels just to keep the circus going. :laugh:

www.monster.com "Wanted. Hungry Squirrels. Qualifications: Likes seeds and circus rides. Temporary position.".

9. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Me too! I have a bird feeder right outside the window in front of my desk and the Squirrels are always in to that thing.

10. Cougfan2

Well, all my efforts so far at keeping the squirrels out of the bird feeder have failed. I just mixed some Cayenne pepper in with the seed mix to see if that helps. Apparently the squirrels hate it, but it doesn't bother the birds. We'll see if that works. If it doesn't, I think it will be time to order up "The Yankee Flipper". :D

11. greydog111

greydog111 peoples repubilik of Oregon Active Member

Have a client that made one of his own out of welding hose and an acetylene tank. He has a commercial nursery. Loaned it to a friend with gopher problems and the clown actually cracked the foundation of his house when it blew. He video taped moles and gophers actually flying out of the holes when the tool detonated. Greydog.

12. Cougfan2

This post is worthless without video. :D

13. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

Grease it with Crisco so they fall off but the birds can still fly in

14. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

An airsoft full-auto might be fun to harass the squirrels with.

elsie

15. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

I would agree with this except that I killed a few by accident with an airsoft gun when I was younger. Apparently a plastic bb at 250 fps is enough to kill a small animal!

16. Cougfan2

Well, I seem to have found the answer. I just mixed a couple of tablespoons or Cayenne pepper with the bird seed. The Squirrels want nothing to do with it now and it doesn't appear to deter the birds at all.

The squirrels still hang out in the yard below the feeder to scour up some seeds, but don't attack the feeder itself. I think the smell drives them off of the feeder, but is diluted enough when the birds kick some seed off onto the ground that they can handle it there.

What's the funniest is watching my OLD Black Lab get exercised trying to chase the squirrels away. At her age she just takes a couple of hops and woofs and that's job done for her. :laugh: