JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a deck in the back that is all Trex except for the uprights which are cedar. The resident squirrel has decided the cedar boards are a perfect place to sharpen his teeth and there are now several places where he has gnawed on the deck.

I could take him out with a pellet gun, but I really don't want to kill him. I just want to discourage him from chewing on my deck. I kind of enjoy watching the little bugger.

Anybody have any non lethal advice for getting him to stop chewing on the deck?

Good luck. Our problem was neighbor's cats clawing the uprights. We ended up putting these at the two deck entrances. They worked, but weren't exactly cheap. I guess the problem with squirrels is they probably could access the deck from pretty much any place the like.

Amazon.com: Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent: Pet Supplies

Yeah. I don' think that would work in my situation as I would probably have to buy 3 or 4 of those to cover all the areas he has chewed on. It's a fairly large deck.

I know they don't like cayenne pepper, but with all the rain we get it would just wash off. There's some stuff I read about on the Internet called Ropel that is a spray on solution that is supposed to work pretty good and will stay in place unless it really rains hard, but I can't find anybody in the PDX area that handles it.

Check the farm stores for products to prevent horses from chewing fence rails (usually a nervous habit called "cribbing"). Failing that, Tabasco sauce painted on, should absorb nicely into the cedar, and unless the squirrel is related to our ethnic brethren from south of the border, I don't think he'd want more than one mouthful of "cedar caliente'".

Like you, I enjoy watching the little buggers, but when they attack my home, I enact capital punishment. Last I checked, they enjoy no right to a fair trial, especially when the executioner is the eye witness.

squirrel launcher, what a stellar idea. i have some around here that are too fast for my dog. dont really want to shoot them, but a launcher just might be the ticket. and very entertaining besides.

It should be fairly easy to paint/spray something on there that will discourage the chewing. They are HIGHLY sensitive to smell so any other animals urine would do it. Or Cat-Away, etc. When they bury something the saliva excreted from their paws is left as a scent that they distinguish from the hundred other squirrels. Then they track it weeks/months later. THAT is a sensitive sniffer! Use it to your advantage.

I have been warned for two years that if I don't stop feeding them that rats will come, they'll break into my attic, etc, but so far they are nothing but entertainment for me and my cat.

I respect the little things because their instincts make them 'smarter' than 98% of humans in the way they are true preppers.

I have had one too many people lately warn me about the consequences of feeding squirrels close to my house, on my deck. Time for me to wise up before Ben shows up. Ignoring good advice is not wise. (Thanks CougarFan) So much for bulk peanuts from Costco.

From now on if I feel sorry for them I'll toss peanuts over the fence or away from the house.

Teach him to swim in a live trap.

Hehe. I said non lethal, but a former co-worker had an issue with a possum that was hanging around her house eating her cat's food and generally being a nuisance. She called the County Extension service and they recommended live trapping the possum. She asked them what to do with it after that and they recommended she just take it and release it away from town. Well, she didn't want to bother with that so they recommended she still live trap it, but fill up a trash barrel with water and after the possum got trapped, just put the trap down in the water, wait a while, and RIP Mr. Possum.

She did as they suggested and once she trapped the possum she filled up her trash barrel with water and dropped the trap with the possum inside into the barrel. The only problem was that the trash barrel was tapered and the bottom of the barrel was a smaller diameter than the bottom of the trap. She came back after about 1/2 hour expecting the possum to be dead, opened the trash barrel and instead found a very pissed off possum clinging to the top of the cage and hissing at her. :s0114:

She eventually got rid of the possum, but it was extremely funny.

Wrap fine metel mesh wire (attach with staple gun) around the chewing areas. Another thing would be to use a coyote urine drops around the area or scent pad hung up nearby.

Well, I went ahead and ordered some Ropel. From what I read, it works similar to the bitter apple liquid that t.huynh recommended with some other stuff in it. Basically you spray it on and let it soak into the wood and if they chew on anything coated with it the taste is just vile, but it won't kill them or harm my dogs if they happen to get to any of it. I'll let you know how it works once it gets here and I have a chance to deploy it.

Had the same problem except the little basturd chewed a hole in my deck chair. I double tapped him my Red Ryder BB gun and he left like his legs were on fire and his arse was catchin'. He ain't been back since.
Got the official Red Ryder air rifle many years ago from my Pop as a tongue in cheek x-Mas gift.
It shoots just hard enough to get the varmint's full attention but not hard enough to ventilate him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top