JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Howdy all. I read about the sport of fishing for squid here, and more so up in Washington state. I enjoy calamari in many forms and we cook dishes with said at times. Anyway, this looks like it might be a fun sport, when time allows, and could provide some additional delicious victuals.

Anywho, I am just curious if anyone has gone fishing for said critters and would have any tips to share. Thanks much. :)

My favorite Japanese snack was dried squid tentacles. They look like shoe strings and are like a salty jerky. Whenever my nephew James visits from Japan, he brings a couple packages. Lived in Karuizawa and Niigata as a kid.

I've caught a lot of them, mostly from a boat off Catalina Island. We used them for bait, not to eat. We could have eaten them buy I prefer the fish that like to eat them. Start by hanging a large light off the side of the boat and the squid will be attracted to the light. Once they began to swarm a short distance below the surface of the water lower a squid jig (looks kinda like a squid with a bunch of barbs around the bottom) into the swarm and jig it up and down until you hook a squid. Bring it up, remove from the jig, place the squid in the bait tank, and repeat. Fish love them. We called them "candy bait". Be careful when you get them out of the water because they squirt a stream of "ink". Not toxic but a pain to get out of clothes. No regrets is right, you'll have the best luck at night. Hope this helps.

"Calamari," I always wondered what people were talking about.:confused:
Some raving like it was the best thing since sliced bread.:rolleyes:
Then I found out...It's a damned squid.:eek:
Trash fish!:confused: Bait for something worth while.:confused:
Us Po folk in Monterey used to bring them home from the cannery for free to put on the table.
My how times have changed.:D

I have sold many over 100KW generators to commercial squid fishermen through the years. They hook up huge stadium type lights at night and pull the squid in with nets. They used to frequently bring me a 5 gallon bucket of them after a good night. A good night would net several thousand pounds. Many were sold as bait but I would spend hours cleaning and eating them. One time, a heavily laden squid boat got stuck in the mud at low tide behind one of my 100 foot salvage boats, we used our crane to unload 12,000 lbs from his hold to lighten him enough to escape the shallow water before his boat tipped. I don't know about catching them recreationally but I am curious now. Will have to look it up. I am moving a small Aluminum research vessel to either Cooes Bay or Astoria in the spring for fishing. It would hold maby 3 or 4 tons in the hold.

Last Edited:
When I was a student at the local college (1969) I would go to the Monterey, CA pier at night when the squid were running. Don't know if it is legal now, but I would attach a gig line of treble hooks and snag them. Don't remember any limit, but I would snag a 5 gallon bucket full and give them to fellow students. Between that, Krusteez pancake mix, lamb's breast and the artichokes I stole out of the fields I did alright.

Last Edited:
I have spent a lot of time in previous years fishing from the Point Defiance Boat House dock, and later from the Les Davis Dock. I have no interest in squid other than for bait, but I watched a lot of people fish extensively for squid from these docks.

It was simple enough. At night they hung a lantern to light the water under the dock. They dropped either a squid jig or squid "gig" from a fishing pole and just started jerking. When they had more resistance than just the jig, they'd reel in a little squid. And back then, there was a lot of squid in these waters.

Fish bait for some is a delicacy for others.

I have spent a lot of time in previous years fishing from the Point Defiance Boat House dock, and later from the Les Davis Dock. I have no interest in squid other than for bait, but I watched a lot of people fish extensively for squid from these docks.

It was simple enough. At night they hung a lantern to light the water under the dock. They dropped either a squid jig or squid "gig" from a fishing pole and just started jerking. When they had more resistance than just the jig, they'd reel in a little squid. And back then, there was a lot of squid in these waters.

Fish bait for some is a delicacy for others.
I think it was Mel Tillus that said he had to quit taking his Japanese buddy (in Branson) fishing because he would eat all the bait..........I looked it up. In Oregon, no limit, can be hooked, or caught in a net. Even a hand operated power net(?) whatever that is...........sounds like fun from my research boat. With a Commercial licence, you could sell them to local bait shops and restaurants.

I get that too. We ate a lot of smelt every February. 10 pounds for a dollar would provide a lot of protein for folks that couldn't afford hamburger.

And I have ate squid. The chewiness just keeps on giving.:confused:
It needs to be properly prepared. It isn't chewey if done correctly. We used to wait for the smelt runs every year.....even in Spokane, my dad would buy a big bunch of them that we would gorge on for a couple of days. I asked the Indian fishermen in Cascade Locks about them last year, I guess few are running these days. We do squid in olive oil or butter and garlic.

It needs to be properly prepared. It isn't chewey if done correctly. .

I know, I've been told that. They also told me escargot, octopus, liver and sushi is really good if prepared correctly. I'll just have to take their word for it, and let them have my portion.

Anyone around Portland that likes calamari/squid should try out the pepper salted squid at Thien Hong on Sandy. I've been going there for about 20 years and it's what I always get.. and more..

Thien Hong - Roseway - Portland, OR

ThienHong5.jpg

As a matter of fact, I've taught myself to make a respectable copy of this exact item. The (few) ingredients are on my shopping list as we speak.

I know, I've been told that. They also told me escargot, octopus, liver and sushi is really good if prepared correctly. I'll just have to take their word for it, and let them have my portion.
You sound like Lewis and Clark............they nearly starved while traveling down the Columbia because they didn't like the red flesh on Salmon. I too have lines drawn in food. Maby not as many after living and traveling all over the world. The first time my mother had Squid was when I took her to a seafood restaurant in San Diego........it is still there, can't remember the name........she was reticent but tried. Loved it from then on.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top