1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Squib in Colt 1903

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by ZigZagZeke, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Well, solve one problem and up jumps another. Serves me right for shooting what's probably 40+ year old ammo in my antique Colt 1903 "Hammerless". On the second or third round today I noticed just a pop and the case didn't eject. I was right away suspicious of a squib, and sure enough, after dropping the magazine and ejecting the spent casing I couldn't see light through the barrel. The slug stopped about an inch into the barrel.

When I got home I cut a piece of 1/4" aluminum rod I had laying around to about a 5 inch length and set the barrel up in the vice like this:

The breech end of the barrel is padded with a piece of leather. The aluminum rod is inserted in the muzzle end. Squeezing down on the vice popped the squibbed bullet right out:

Lucky thing I noticed the problem. That old Colt has been in the family for about 100 years. It would have been a shame to blow the barrel and slide, not to mention the damage it could have done to my hide.

So I went out and bought some new ammo for it. I haven't decided how to dispose of the old stuff, but I'm definitely not going to shoot it in anything.
    DLeeHarley likes this.
  2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've never had a problem with old ammo, except for 22 LR, but this just proves that you gotta stay alert when "playing wiht guns".

Glad for you and your gun it worked out this smoothly.
    DLeeHarley and ZigZagZeke like this.