JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every night I clear cookies, temporary files, etc before I shut down. I go into Internet Options-Browsing History-Settings-View Files to clear them manually. For the last couple months the file is full of MSNBC files that I get every 10 min, 40 or so image files from MSNBC and 40 or so image files from MSN.com. I don't remember ever visiting MSNBC but I could have gone there reading a linked news page at sometime. Never go to MSN.com either.

This laptop has Vista and I run Windows, Chrome and Firefox. It has Norton and AVG anti-spyware but I ran it yesterday and it won't remove this poop.

I get one of these every 10 min
rss?noCacheDu... http:/msnbc.msn.com/id3054049/d... File

40 or so of these
[]tdy_smalians.. http:/msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/.. JPEG

40 or so of these
[]image http:/img5.catalog.video.msn.com/img JPEG

Just got this one
cookieowner@ [email protected] Text Document Expires 10/4/2021
Expires 2021? WTH?

Is it spyware? I'm not real good at IT tech, how can I lose this stuff?

Download malware bytes and run that. It could be malware or just cookies from ads on websites you visit. Definitely try malware bytes though.

Also, get rid of Norton, it slows down your computer. The detection rates on other anti-virus programs are much better. I use Avira myself, it's considered to have one of the best detection rates.

If you want a simpler way to clean out your computer use ccleaner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I use AVAST and Malwarebytes and have been very happy with them both. The new Microsoft Security Essentials is suppose to be very good as well and is free.

was running those and picked up one hell of a virus..My Geek used AVG to find it and then cleaned it..had to format the drive and otherthings. I now have AVG on the machine.He told me Avast just let it walk in..

was running those and picked up one hell of a virus..My Geek used AVG to find it and then cleaned it..had to format the drive and otherthings. I now have AVG on the machine.He told me Avast just let it walk in..

LOL....long ago AVG missed something on my computer and that is why I switched to AVAST. I figure it's a technology ebb and flow thing, or one is never the best always, just on top for a while. Come to think of it, I should throw AVG or MSE on here just to do a sweep and see what if anything it finds.

AVG for three years with no problems. That and I don't browse shady sites so maybe if you had less to hide from your wife you'd put yourself at less risk.

Perv.

LOL....long ago AVG missed something on my computer and that is why I switched to AVAST. I figure it's a technology ebb and flow thing, or one is never the best always, just on top for a while. Come to think of it, I should throw AVG or MSE on here just to do a sweep and see what if anything it finds.

After the virus I got I'm somewhat paranoid and running scans every day.

AVG was ok for a bit but after two nuke and repaves I went to Avast.
AVG was locking me up all the time and let some really nasty stuff in.
Avast let something by that locked me out of admin. nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure.
CC cleaner and malwarebytes once a week.
Fuc**** hackers, a pox on them all.

Also review your browser settings and tighten up the security on those a bit. If they're already maxed out then you just had some bad luck. I run IE9 fairly restricted and with AVG this thing has run beautifully clean for three years.

Of course, I use my desktop less and less because my iPad is more convenient, but I still spent a good amount of time when I'm trying to get work done from home and have left my laptop in its dock in the office (which doesn't do me much good there.)

AVG just solved it. I looked into my AVG and found a 30 day free trail of the advanced protection version. Today inside of that I found a free one day system check that went way into this thing and it looks like it found MSNBCs sneaky little bugs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll choose one when this trial program expires.

Been running nothing but Macs for 10 years now. No AV. Never a problem.

I use Safari browser, which has a "Private Browsing" mode that does not save searches or histories. I routinely have Safari's privacy settings set to "Block third party and advertiser cookies". I run both AdBlock and Ghostery Safari extensions. I run ClickToFlash, which blocks all Flash content unless I specifically click on it. I also run the Clea.nr extension for YouTube and Amazon. I will never run Windows again.

I have had a tremendous drop in spam emails since I started running these Safari extensions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top