Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Spyderco Manix 2 v. Para Military 2

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by Vaultman, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Vaultman

Vaultman Clackamas Co, Oregon Active Member

I write this to inform, those that may wonder in the future. Kind of as a super quick review. (There are pleanty of long winded reviews elsewhere, especially youtube.)

Well a few weeks ago I bought the Spyderco Manix 2. Not the XL version as I was looking for a EDC blade. I got it and I really like it. My only two complaints would be (1) it is not a smooth close action (it takes some work), and (2) because of the leaf blade shape and the ergonomic handle it takes to much room in a pocket. I can't get my hand by it to get my keys. But I went with the Manix 2 because I thought the Para Military 2 (which I had handled before) was to slender to feel comfortable in hand. Also I bought the Manix first thinking I would be a little different, as most people own or have heard of the Para Military. After having and carrying the Manix 2 for 2 weeks, I became a believer in Spyderco, but thought that they are so close with the Manix they must have nailed it with the Para.

I ordered the Para Military 2, and received it today. It is not as weighty as the Manix 2, slimmer than the Manix 2, and the locking mechanism makes it smoother to close. (Thought the Manix lock seems like it would be tougher) And to boot the Para has a longer blade.

I am now officially a Spyderco Fan. Both are awesome, depending on what you want. I am happy to have both, but if I only wanted one it would be the Para Military 2.

I think while using them I would prefer the Manix, but as something I carry all day and use 2 or 3 times, I go for the Para.

PS I have the Manix in all black, and the Para in black blade with the camo handle. Both are very nice looking knives.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

:s0081:

:s0122:

Sgt Nambu and RicInOR like this.
  3. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

C12SBBK2W_BEAD1LY_L.jpg

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. Vaultman

Vaultman Clackamas Co, Oregon Active Member

That is close. These are per Spyderco website. I may take some when it is light outside.
    The manix 2 is full flat grind (which the pic you had wasn't), and black blade. Looks like this:
    C101GBBK2_L.jpg

The para 2 I got is camo and black blade:
    C81GCMOBK2_L.jpg

RicInOR likes this.
  6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

:eek:squim! What is that? Some kind of Idaho specially knife for sheep neutering or some such?:confused:

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

A wicked karambit, is what THAT is. :eek:

Sgt Nambu and mjbskwim like this.
  8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well if you are dumb enough to bring a knife to a gun fight,this is what you bring.
    Maybe they hesitate before they just shoot you
    The matriarch? I believe
    With this you let the bad guy grab you then you put this next to his jewels
    He looses his grip kinda sudden

Sgt Nambu likes this.