Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Springfield XDM?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Moobear, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Moobear

Moobear Salem, OR New Member

Hey guys! I'm looking for a concealed carry weapon and have been researching this gun and seems pretty decent, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any experience with it.

also, I am considering getting the .40 s&w 16+1 model. Any advice on whether or not this could be legally detremental in a self defense situation, due to the number of rounds. Can it considered excessive force?

Thanks for reading!

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

You have to remember that the XDm is going to be a pretty large gun to CC, but you probably already know that. But its always a good idea to also try out the service, compact, and subcompact models. Granted extra rounds are always a good thing, but in the case of the XDs, it always adds more weight and bulk.

Oh and as far as legalities, I wouldn't worry too much about magazine capacity.

3. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I think it would only be "excessive force" if the BG stopped his attack after the first shot, but you pumped 16 more rounds into him. Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about the capacity being a detriment while defending yourself in a court of law.

4. cyclesarge

BTW, I would consider the XD(M) to be HUGE for C.C.

5. Moobear

Moobear Salem, OR New Member

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. I realize that its a pretty big gun. My friend has one and I've worn it around his property to get a feel for the bulk and it seems doable. I am a multi layer clothes type of guy even in the summer, and I haven't noticed any problems with it printing.

That being said, I always have an open mind, so if there's any guns anyone would recommend for concealed, I'm all ears. I also like the Para warthawg but have heard it may not be the most reliable.

6. Totalled

Totalled Cold can of Olympia New Member

I have a .40 XDM, and it's large. I'm looking at XD subcompact 40s for concealed carry.

7. Whitman

Whitman Portland New Member

I fondled a Walther PPS .40 the other day. Seems like a perfect carry at less than an inch wide! Nice piece, but a bit pricey. Check it out here:

http://www.walther-pps.com/

http://ppstalk.com/forum/

I bought the XDm .40 because I do not carry concealed, so size didn't matter (really!), and I wanted the extra capacity.

8. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

+1 Same here. :thumbup:

9. PeakResources

PeakResources Portland (past) Colorado (now) Member

I have an XDm40 and a HK45. I carry the HK45 as my only carry gun. I just compared it to my XDm40, and it's just a smidge bigger, especially with the exposed hammer. The HK45 works for me for CC, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry the XDm. That said, I'm tall and used to carry a Kimber, so maybe that makes a difference.

I guess my point is that while a smaller pistol is better for some for CC, I wouldn't completely discount carrying a full size pistol on a daily basis if you're comfortable with it. Regardless of size of pistol, you'll want a good holster and belt, as it makes a big difference (especially for full size pistols).

10. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

You heard right. Stay far, far, away!

11. haythrower

haythrower SW WA Member

I have an XDM 9mm, and honestly, I think it is too big to CC. If you are set on XD though, maybe the sub-compact or compact would be a better choice. I would say though the trigger on mine is awful compared to a Glock. For what its worth.

12. jeddedia

jeddedia Wilsonville, Oregon, United States Member

Springfield just came out with the XDM in a 3.8" barrel! I don't know if they're available to ship yet as I just got the email this morning, I'll be ordering in a 9mm and 40 to put on the shelf here. PM me if you want a price. The Walther PPS is a flawless firearm though, slim, easy to use and operate, the 9mm had little recoil but I haven't shot the 40 yet. I'm sure it would kick just a bit more but I'd take that for CC and overall stopping power.

The XDMs are just a bit too thick/wide of a frame in my opinion for CC, unless you've got a larger build and multi-layers to hide the bulkiness. The PPS or the new Taurus PT709 (too bad it's only in 9mm) are slimmer.

13. breeceg

breeceg Junction city Member

I carry a xdm and think its the best for me , its interesting to me that people want to carry a compact gun, full size shoots better for follow up shots and who cares if the gun has a bulge, it might keep some douche bag from getting shot

14. cyclesarge

I think if the O.P. had stated "I am looking for a good high capacitiy gun that I will C.C. as well" he might not have gotten all the "not the greatest C.C. gun" comments. He stated " I'm looking for a concealed carry weapon and have been researching this gun and seems pretty decent". I'm sure the XD(M) is a great gun, I know I want one. It's not an ideal C.C. gun due to un-necessary size, weight, capacity,sharp edges, etc. I'm sure it CAN be concealed, so can a 12 guage, just not the ideal C.C and THAT was his primary goal.

15. Arkitek

Arkitek Historic Downtown Roseburg Oregon Member

Got one...Ditto on on the large...and heavy due to all those bullets in the mag! Probably the formula for a great shooter...

I really dig it for target shooting, nothing is more accurate and its fun to shoot and feels good in my hand.

Carry it? No...I like a smaller format...but it makes a good "house gun" for me...just add some night sights!

You might claim the extra bullets are needed due to the multiple threats out there in the real world...lots of us carry extra mags...
    Seems like you have to prove "every dumb" thing...in a courtroom?
    :chairfight:Crazy! ... At least you'll be alive! :D

16. breeceg

breeceg Junction city Member

Okay, I tried to be nice, look there is nothing wrong with a carry gun that has a 4and half inch barrel, it makes noooo sense by cutting off an inch on the barrel that it becomes cc worthy, but again I am use to carrying large equipment

17. cyclesarge

I fixed it for you.:thumbup:

18. sbryson21

sbryson21 Nampa, ID Member

I CC the xd sub compact in .40 and really like it. I think it's easy to conceal and offers a good capacity for a small gun. And it's dead accurate out of the box so that's my 2 cents :)

19. Ethereal

Ethereal Kent, WA Member

Well the only thing you can be assured of is that no matter what you choose to use to defend yourself you're going to be on the hot seat for it one way one way or another.
    The XDM would be a great cary gun I'd say. I don't buy into the idea that a CCW needs to be the smallest size possible to be a good choice. Say that to the millions who regularly carry full sized 1911's without a problem. I suppose it depends on your attire and holster choice also, with all my holsters being IWB's I find any full-size gun conceals just fine with an untucked shirt. YMMV though..

20. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

I've also got an XDM-9 - great sidearm, bad CC. May as well try to conceal a full-sized M1911

I've got an XD-9 sub compact - that's even a little bulky.

My current carry pistol is a Glock 27. Makes the XD-9 look big by comparison.