JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a bolt action Springfield Savage Model 840 chambered in 30-30 winchester. Can anyone give me an idea as to age/ value? I am trying to sell this for my buddy.
It is missing the box magazine.

the 840 was discontinued in the early 80's it is an economy bolt its ansesters were the 330 and 340 bolt actions under the Stevens and Savage brand names. in nice shape and with a magazine your looking at a $275-300.00 rifle. A nice scope might add $25-50 bucks the missing magazine would cost you at least $40-45.00 off your asking price.

Magazine can be found on Gun Broker the auction site.

30-30 really isn't a real popular bolt action caliber (though it does perform well with pointed bullets and a solid action)

the above IMHO

Gunparts corp (Numrich) has the magazines. These guns are a helluva lot better firearms than most would believe. Although a rock-bottom econo-bolt gun when still manufactured, the accuracy is more than respectable, sometimes downright surprising. (Probably due to Savage's rep for good barrels).

Mark was on the money with his noting that the owner can load pointy bullets in the .30-30 for these guns, and realize better ballistics (and better accuracy) than is regularly obtained with the lever guns of the same caliber. Easier to scope than a '94 as well.

I stumbled on the true functionality and accuracy of these guns (despite their modest price range) when I did a friend a favor and bought his 340 Hornet from him as he was strapped for cash. Since that time, I have acquired about 4 of the .30-30's, but kids keep showing up with Dads looking for a nice first deer rifle. I can't turn them down, and so the 340 goes to a good home each time. One young nimrod has 3 deer and 4 elk to his credit with the 340 .30-30. All one-shot kills.

I have kept one older original 340 that was not drilled for scope, but has the Lyman peep manufactured expressly for these guns. Perfect condition, as new, and this one will not go to a forlorn kid. I also just spent about 2 months loading and targeting, tuning and bedding a 340 in .222Rem. True to form, it came around to shoot groups that AVERAGE .85". That one is being "tested" in the field in Prineville at a ranch foreman's place. A working-man's gun for a working man. Tiger-Tank durable, removable clip for legal concerns (to be ready for a coyote spotted from the pickup). If the shooter ends up liking it, I'll probably give it to him: small compensation for my admission to the ranch.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top