JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If nothing else, they look to market to a new group of folks...as most gun owners are fat, out of shape hillbillies. At least that what some would have you believe. LOL

It really is a thankless job. :rolleyes:

StPatrick.jpg

Who'd be stupid enough to beta test a "new" gun anyway?
That is my job! Hey I have a bunch of ARs but not many are "store bought" assembled. This new gun has a way better standard trigger, above average furniture, a decent barrel and it will be a little cheaper than the standard of 'Duty' ARs, the Colt 6920. It looks as if Springfield is trying to make room on the Colt Pedestal as a gun with high parts reliability. I am not going to buy a 'Saint' as I am AR poor and am not going to make room for more than the ones I have and the two I am building.
Were I in the market I would be that Beta guy!

Most AR's are built from the same parts made by the same small hand full of manufacturers. How those parts are put together makes a lot of difference. If SA is following the right specs for assembly this rifle is a great value and a definite alternative to a Colt LE6920 for a lot less money. From the articles you will see they are at least staking the castle nut - check you other entry level AR's for that often overlooked but critical detail.

All the parts are Mil Spec except the barrel which is the right steel but Melonited instead of chrome lined - a plus in my book. It also has a mid length gas system which is more appropriate on a 16" barrel than a carbine length system. Street price will be under $800.

Time will tell, but this could be a real winner at the price point.

I do agree. They seem to have paid attention to the important stuff, a decent trigger, a good barrel in length, and gas port (0.750 gas block)and materials (4150 and Melonite) They have above average furniture. They paid attention to the buffer with a H style there. there are a lot of things that should say "Buy me" to a knowledgeable buyer. I think it is a good gun.

The only thing that would have made this worth the hype is if they had an upgraded trigger, and above average barrel. All other parts on an AR are in today's market generic.

They didn't reinvent that AR or change the platform, they just made s new handguard.

I personally would have liked to see a new M1A that is more modular and a bit less in price. Maybe something that would except Magpul 308 mags.

And be less than $1k.

The AR market is so vast and yet still very much the same that you are introducing anything new.

The hype was cool and to do such an amazing ad campaign to reveal another basic AR will leave the majority to question Springfield's ability to renew itself.

Give us a new M1A that is lighter, more mdular, excepts cheaper mags, and you can get in a variety of calibers and I'll spend money I don't have to get one.

I have a pic of it Springfield sent me a flyer looks pretty much like every other one you have ever seen

A picture is not always worth a thousand words. The exact same parts can be assembled by two different manufacturers and come up with two different results. The less you pay the less attention to detail will be taken in assembly. What anti seize was used on the threads (if any), were the barrel and castle nuts torqued properly? Was the castle nut properly staked? Is the A2 sight block fully coated or is it bare where it meets the barrel?

Case in point, everybody's favorite budget supplier PSA occasionally puts out A2 sight blocks installed at a cant instead of being perfectly lined up with the gas port. It is still correctable (usually) at the rear sight, but not optimal. Do they make a great inexpensive product? Yes, they do, but if I bought an assembly from them I'd tear it down, clean and inspect, then rebuild to proper specs. Time is money, and budget rifles don't get much time.

I see several yawns and guffaws. It doesn't really matter in Oregon and Washington since they will be outlawed in these two states! So I guess the democrats will have the last laugh.

Sheldon