Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Springfield model 56 .22 Caliber Help please

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by singleshooter, Dec 2, 2012.

1. singleshooter

singleshooter Oregon Member

I just got my hands on a model 56 today and its not operational. i knew it was old and that it was going to be my project gun but didnt know that the seller told me the wrong info.
    it's all good either way as I found the problem but shame on you for not telling the full truth. he never told me the mag was missing either.

okay rant over

Now I have found that the trigger is a bit worn and wont grab the bolt. so it acts as though the trigger is always pulled.
    I want to know if there is any remedy to this problem.
    Also if there are any triggers that might match the model 56 trigger so i dont have to back order one if there is no remedy.

thanks in advance...

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

3. singleshooter

Thanks for the site Mark W. it is very helpful.

I think i will try to tinker with the striker bushing first as it is worn over so that the trigger cants grip onto it.
    The firing system is very primitive where the trigger is pinned directly to the striker bushing.
    when the trigger is pulled the bushing is released striking the hammer.

At least now I know where I can go to if I cant DIY the parts. or break it whichever comes first ha.

oh and do you know how to take the striker bushing out of the bolt by chance. I've taken everything apart and put back together except that. And I need to get to that piece.

thanks

4. OREGON FALER

OREGON FALER Springfield, OR. Active Member

Funny about this thread, because I inherited Grandpa's 56, 5 or 6 years ago and it's missing the magazine too. I went and did an internet search on the springfield model 56 and it brought me right back here.

5. singleshooter

Thats too funny faller...ive actually given up on this particular project. it would cost me triple what i paid for the gun to fix it and furnishing it would cost even more. if you want to buy this as a parts gun from me ill sell it for 20.

6. Tobyjugg

Tobyjugg Maryland New Member

:D

7. militaryman

militaryman Milford ct. New Member

Do you still have the rifle and does it have a bolt? I would be interested in it.