JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
  2. For Trade
Price
$420
Manufacturer
Springfield Armory
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
South Beach
State
Oregon
Zip Code
These seem to be a bit of a rarity as only around 35k or so were made. Rifle comes as shown. Price is 420.00 which includes the transfer fee from a dealer in Newport. I can email more pics on request as well.

The only trades I would be interested in are other US manufactured surplus rifles or Japanese swords. I can add cash to trade

IMG_20200215_121111730.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
Well maybe I will have to try and make a trip to Portland here in a couple of weeks if someone doesn't snag it up before then

Yes, these help better establish what it would involve trying to put it back into a more original configuration. Thank you for the additional photos. I have only one other request and that is can you see if the front sight blade has the letter c stamped on it; perhaps on the right side?

1899/#857xxx was built as a rifle. Many were coverted to carbine style and sold as surplus. Late 40's and early 50's. As low as $12. Some of these coversion are very will done. 1899 Carbine starts around 220xxx

I thought all 1899s were carbines. I am not sure what the difference between a carbine and a rifle is when it comes to this rifle.

Just to clear this up, the serial number is actually 357xxx, the picture does kind of look like an 8 but it is a 3 for 100% certainty which puts it in the range of where it should be as 1899. It is a sporter, no doubt about that but I think its definitely an 1899.

1899/#857xxx was built as a rifle. Many were coverted to carbine style and sold as surplus. Late 40's and early 50's. As low as $12. Some of these coversion are very will done. 1899 Carbine starts around 220xxx

I was pmed by another member of the forum and had said that another good indicator is to measure the barrel with the bolt closed and it should measure exactly 22" and this one does.

Underneath the front leaf of the rear sight is a hole for the original rear sight , there is also another hole that has been filled a little farther up where the original sight once was and they seem to line up where they should, I think this poor rifle has just been sporterized during its life but im really not seeing it being converted from 1898.

Pretty sure it's a conversion, the rear sight is not original.

I think this poor rifle has just been sporterized during its life but im really not seeing it being converted from 1898.

You are correct. This is a carbine that's been sporterized, unfortunately. You can tell by looking at the front sight. Original Krag front sights are dovetailed into the barrel, whereas cut down rifles have the front sight attached by some kind of band that goes around the barrel. It also had the original stock, though a recoil pad has been added to the end. Real carbine stocks have a retainer spring in front of the barrel band, while cut down rifle stocks don't.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top