Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Springfield M1a question

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by JUSTIficatioN, Apr 18, 2010.

1. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

I'm slowly saving up for one and I've been hearing that If I'm going to get one I should go with a national match model over all the other models they offer. So my question is what does "national match" mean? And does it really stand out over the other models?

2. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

+1

Also for the M1A/M14 series of rifles there is almost a cult following of that rifle with web sites with dedicated info, posted by guys who have been shooting that rifle long before many of us where born.

My 2/100ths of a dollar

SF-

4. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Do you plan on competitive shooting? If not the "loaded" model may be a better choice. The main difference is the loaded is not bedded, and bedded rifles cannot be disassemble often as it wear the bedding, just shooting wears the bedding and it needs to be skin coated every few years. The loaded has the same barrel, trigger, front sight. A hooded aperture can be added cheap. A loaded with a unitized gas cylinder well shoot as well a box stock NM, if not better.

Originally it meant a rifle that was prepared for service rifle competition at the Camp Perry shots. These improvements would include a rear sight that used 1/4moa adjustments instead of the normal 1/2moa. A improved recoil spring guide, thinner front sight blade, heavier barrels, unitized gas systems, reamed flash suppressors, stock bedding, trigger worked to 4.5lbs. Later it became double lug receivers, even heavier barrels.

The M14/M1A is not as competitive as it once was due to the improvements on the M16/AR15 platform.

5. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

I won't profess to be an expert, but I have some experience with the current NM sights (2005 model). The elevation clicks are 1 moa with the hooded aperture rotated up/down as needed to achieved 1/2 moa. The windage clicks are 1/2 moa:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/NMRearSight.htm

I've quickly become a fan of the M1A and I'd highly recommend one:thumbup:

6. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

I'm no expert by a long ways but if the "loaded" has the same barrel as the NM then that's the one, as $$$ is not worth those extras. And you could add them in; say unitized gas cyl.;NM Op Rod and you already have the sight.
    Mine is accurate because of the Barrel and I bedded the gas cyl./takedown area of mine; but there is alot of help to understand why and how on that mod.
    Good Luck the M14 Semi ; ie. M14 is very much worth it. You will never regret getting one!

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I've shot a NM Springfield.. near new gun.. 2.5 MOA was the best it could do in my hands with 168 grain match ammo.. but then IMO these rifles are designed for 150 grain ammo, so I won't bash the rifle

My PTR 91 heavy barrel does 2 MOA, which I consider to be excellent for a battle rifle

8. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

My TRW build shot 2 1/4" with 4 rounds at 200 yrds. NM front sight.
    Not bad with iron sights...
    I was happy since I put it together

9. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

I had a National Match here in UK for almost six years, complete with an ART Leatherwood scope and all the goodies. It was the sweetest thing around, even better to shoot than my PSG1.

Rather than hand it in to the gubmint to cut up when all self-loading centrefires were banned here in UK in 1988, I sent it over to a collector in Belgium who, as far as I know, still has it and enjoys it.

Remember the RKBA is there to protect you from the gubmint.

tac

10. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct, my error. 1/2 moa, not 1/4. I have been using several Parker-Hale sight systems and have 1/4 moa on the brain.

To see the difference in the standard (1moa) M1A rear sight, a NM (1/2moa) sight this link.
    http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=73517

11. Blitzkrieg

Over here when they are banned, ALA California, we get out the shovels and burial tubes

12. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

'When it's time to bury your guns, it's time to be digging them up'.

tac
    Former owner of -

Springfield M1A
    Heckler & Koch PSG1
    MI Garand
    SLR [FAL to you]
    AKM-S
    Dragunov SVD
    SKS

13. Blitzkrieg

The key to winning a fight is to know when to fight. It is not time yet, but it's coming