JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a 1903 this week that came from the CMP 10 years ago (still in cosmoline). It qualified as a service grade but it has an ugly scar on the muzzle. It looks worse in the photo than it actually is and I'm sure it will shoot fine. The damage only appears to be in the chamfer of the muzzle. Does anyone here in SW Washington have a Chamfer 45 cutter that can do the work for hire? I'm considering ordering the tools from Brownells but thought I would try here first.

1903-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a "ding" like that several years ago on a 1903 like this. I wanted it as a "shooter", not a "collector" so I put on my patience cap and using a set of pattern files very carefully removed the ding, only filing off the raised metal from the area where it extended into the bore. Only remaining sign is a slight depression on the radiused surface of the crown.

It takes more of a Jewelers touch and a lot of patience but it can be done. The end result is a rifle that shoots 3/4" groups at @100 yards in almost stock condition (trigger spring had a coil or two cut off).

I ended up having this repair done at Gator's Custom Guns in Kelso, WA.
It came out looking great and the price was very reasonable. I highly recommend them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top