JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy folks -

Recently came into a Springfield Loaded 5" 1911, which I really like a lot. However, I immediately dislike the 2-piece guide rod setup, specifically disassembly, reassembly, and the way it looks at me. :s0131: So, I've decided to convert it to a GI system. I already ordered the standard GI plug, but I'm wondering if I need to order a GI guide rod as well, or if I can get away with just using the base of the existing guide rod without the 2nd piece screwed into it. It assembles just fine in that manner, and I was going to just run with it, but just wanted to confer with the experts first and make sure it's not going to screw up my recoil spring, function unreliably, or possibly tear a whole in the space-time continuum. Again, :s0131:. Thanks for any input.

-Eric

Two things to consider;

First the GI guide rod has a rounded end, and your two-piece does not. So if you use the base of the two-piece, it may snag the recoil spring on a continual basis and make the recoil function erratic.

Second, the two-piece base may be longer than that of a stock GI style guide rod, so it may bottom out on the spring plug.

So my suggestion, is to go with the total GI set up and avoid any potential problems.

Two things to consider;

First the GI guide rod has a rounded end, and your two-piece does not. So if you use the base of the two-piece, it may snag the recoil spring on a continual basis and make the recoil function erratic.

Second, the two-piece base may be longer than that of a stock GI style guide rod, so it may bottom out on the spring plug.

So my suggestion, is to go with the total GI set up and avoid any potential problems.

agreed!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top