JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was mainly referring to most of their new production, guys. :)

@etrain16 Nice! Wish I had mitts big enough to wrap around one of those... :(

Funny thing is that I don't have large hands and I expected this wouldn't fit me. But I put it in my hand and it fit just fine! To me, it's no larger a grip than a G20/21 SF model.

That said, I have the same problem I have with single stack 1911's, I can't reach the mag release without changing my grip, my thumb is too short to reach it - and it's the same whether single or double stack. I'm going to end up adding an extended mag release at some point so I can drop the mags without changing my grip.

That's the rub with the 1911--it's a very southpaw friendly gun out-of-box, but it has a mix of left- and right-hand features--my guess is its Cav roots where your right hand was busy with a saber.

Someday I'll post drawings of the optimized "handed" 1911s I penciled out in college...

So, back in college like 10-15 years ago I photochopped these from the original Ordnance blueprint package...

First, we need to talk "handing." The existing Browning design is a mix of left-hand
--magazine release
--slide stop, for the dexterous
and right-hand
--ejection system
--thumb safety
features. The slide stop is open to interpretation--sometimes I can work it OK with my southpaw trigger finger, others I need to use my off-side hand.

Engineering changes:
--Redesign to a dual-plunger-tube system, with the existing left grip mirrored for both sides. Ideal would be an ambi slide-stop.
--Retain existing mag-catch cuts on both left and right versions. No more of this "Standard mag in Portsider gun, then laugh at the rube" horsepuckey.
--Reverse ejection system to throw brass up and outboard from operating hand. (This is for an operator quirk: I'm both light sensitive and my sight has a strong "motion oriented" bias, so the sooner the flying shiny brass is flung out of my field-of-view the better.)
--Just for the pure hell of it: I like longslides, and I also like things muzzle-heavy. 6" or 7" longslide, but with the radius cut of a 5" for a little extra front mass. (The original Jim Clark longslides cut the first inch off one slide and welded it onto a second, this would be more like cutting one slide at the radius, the other an inch behind it and welding.

In this pair of renderings, the left-handed version is the Longslide, while the right-hander is regular Government. The main reason these have never gone forward is inability to find a suitable frame short of a raw forging, combined with unavailability of left-hand parts.

TRTLS1911L1-R-actual.jpg
TRTLS1911L1-L-actual.jpg

TRT1911R1-R-actual.jpg TRT1911R1-L-actual.jpg

Thinking on one of the Longslides, it might be fun to finish it in OD slide/gray frame and paint a "shark mouth" like an AVG P-40 into the radius area...

Last Edited:
Funny thing is that I don't have large hands and I expected this wouldn't fit me. But I put it in my hand and it fit just fine! To me, it's no larger a grip than a G20/21 SF model.

That said, I have the same problem I have with single stack 1911's, I can't reach the mag release without changing my grip, my thumb is too short to reach it - and it's the same whether single or double stack. I'm going to end up adding an extended mag release at some point so I can drop the mags without changing my grip.

Have you looked at the VZ super scoop grips?

I may send them an email and see if by chance, they can offer that option on one of their P14 grips, I do like their grips.

I like them too. I have a thin set on my Colt and am going to order another set for the Springfield I just bought. It came with a set of operator IIs with the super scoop but they are too thick.

If VZ won't scoop the para ones in -house, you could probably have it done by anyone with a mill.

All the sweaty folks - I'm guessing it's some sort of slim single stack carry pistol - a .380, a different 9mm from the XDS, a "new" 9mm sub compact 1911, who knows. I actually like the MOD2 / Grip Zone stuff on the original XD's :cool: - but yeah, hopefully the hype is actually worth it.

I like them too. I have a thin set on my Colt and am going to order another set for the Springfield I just bought. It came with a set of operator IIs with the super scoop but they are too thick.

If VZ won't scoop the para ones in -house, you could probably have it done by anyone with a mill.

True. I've worked with micarta before and have found, if you're careful, you can use a drum sander to create a finger groove. G10 is, as I understand it, basically micarta, I would just hate to ruin a set of $75 grips if I'm not careful.

Getting myself back on topic...

I got this in an email yesterday. The first confirmation I've seen that it is a line of firearms and not some sort of training program or whatever else people have been speculating. I am on board with attractive sweaty tattooed people ;)... Oh, and 1911s.

2016-10-21-dyl-prelaunch_600x1065.jpg

Last Edited:
Getting myself back on topic...

I got this in an email yesterday. The first confirmation I've seen that it is a line of firearms and not some sort of training program or whatever else people have been speculating. I am on board with attractive sweaty tattooed people ;)... Oh, and 1991s.

View attachment 318731
This picture should be added to the girls and guns thread :rolleyes:

Seriously? Another take on the tried and true 1911? They should come up with something new and revolutionary...

I'll take mine the way JMB intended it to be...

Ed Brown and a few others make extended mag releases and longer slide stops for the M1911 series pistols! Also Para used to list different grip options for the P12 through P16 series 1911 double stacks. Might give them a call and see if they still do! Might also do a down and dirty interwebs search to see what comes up! I had a simmiler problem with the STI 2011 series, they have a plastic grip/frame and cannot take aftermarket grips. They do offer an alloy grip/frame that can be modded to take most standard 1911 grip panels and that fit the bill for me ( just not the $300 price tag) but when you just gotta have it, and you all ready have the pistol, O-Well, Buy once, Cry once!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top