JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I quit shooting my high power when they stopped making them as the values were getting too high.
I could agree with maybe some reduced shooting, and maybe not carrying it on a regular basis but if its already been shot to a some degree and has some 'holster wear' then I don't see some 'judicial' use of it dramatically reducing its value.

I have several 'moderately ' valuable out of production guns I shoot regularly and lots of others do as well !

Heck I'll bet there are close to as many out of production guns still being shot as those that are new and still in production.

Last Edited:
Having better things to do I did not spend :30 listening to him drone on. From skipping around "sounds" like he had trouble with a couple very early pistols, 3 digit numbers. One finish was not done well. The big issue was an extractor problem that he seems to say has an easy fix. In any case the way they are still selling as fast as SA can ship them color me VERY skeptical that there is a problem with them. If there really is a "problem" we will sure be hearing it since new owners are at the range daily with one now.

Having better things to do I did not spend :30 listening to him drone on. From skipping around "sounds" like he had trouble with a couple very early pistols, 3 digit numbers. One finish was not done well. The big issue was an extractor problem that he seems to say has an easy fix. In any case the way they are still selling as fast as SA can ship them color me VERY skeptical that there is a problem with them. If there really is a "problem" we will sure be hearing it since new owners are at the range daily with one now.
I watched it and the bhp springs guy and both say the extractor fails. Failure is common with new models so I wait to buy until the bugs are fixed. No sense having to take a new gun to a gunsmith to get it to run right. The Failure seems to happen at about 600 rounds or just about the time you start trusting it.

I watched it and the bhp springs guy and both say the extractor fails. Failure is common with new models so I wait to buy until the bugs are fixed. No sense having to take a new gun to a gunsmith to get it to run right. The Failure seems to happen at about 600 rounds or just about the time you start trusting it.
I put two mags through mine and sent it out. I evidently have different philosophies anyway Nighthawk will tune it up!

Kinda like buying a new car. Some guys like to get all the accessories right up front. Others want to make sure they like the ride before they class it up.

And then there are those of us who keep it plain and simple, If it needs something that I want for better function, sights, grips etc. well, I'll do that but no 'send offs' for anything I can't handle myself!

And then there are those of us who keep it plain and simple, If it needs something that I want for better function, sights, grips etc. well, I'll do that but no 'send offs' for anything I can't handle myself!
In a year a SA-35 that you did your own mods to will be worth less than retail. A Properly cared for firearm tuned by a well known gunsmith will maintain or increase in value.

In a year a SA-35 that you did your own mods to will be worth less than retail. A Properly cared for firearm tuned by a well known gunsmith will maintain or increase in value.
Just for the sake of discussion and certainly not arguing. Selling a gun with improvements and getting the money back out depends on the buyer knowing the gunsmith name and the quality of his work.

I have had many guns worked on by competent smith's that did high quality work but nobody knew them. Fortunately in those days a gunsmith was very reasonable so you didn't lose much money.

I was a little bummed when the guy from the BH spring solution vid mentioned the front sight dovetail being smaller and the rear 'substantially' larger than compared to say a Mk III Browning HP and that there were currently no sight upgrade options for it.

Why in the heck didn't they just cut them the same as the Browning? Heck when I swapped the sights on my CZ I had plenty of options for the rear as it is just a std. 3/8 dovetail.
SA has done some stuff like that before with 1911s. Some SA 1911s required you buy a rear from one mfg and a front from someone else.

I don't buy guns as an investment. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I buy them to shoot so any modifications done to my firearms by me or a gunsmith are only done to improve the shooting experience for me. Case in point, when I get my SA-35 I plan on making it my Speed Steel gun so once I start shooting it any changes with be done with that in mind. That said, if I decide to sell this gun the next guy might not want a speed steel gun and so whatever I've done or had done may not add value in their mind.

Like a Harley with a get back whip and stuff!
Or like a Harley the owner put just about every chrome cover, cap or any other accessory the newbies did back in the "day'.

I remember once going to go look at a used FL Classic and it was like I said above. He added up the cost of EVERY add-on and attached to to the bike. You almost couldn't see the bike due to the chrome reflection!

I told him he could remove every non-factory add on and keep them and we would talk but it never happened.

Guns are no different, like many things however there is obviously a difference between a modification and and accessory.

A mod may be irreversible and will most likely limit it's resale value and potential - regardless of who did it. Worse of course if done poorly or incorrectly.

Accessories and add ons can be removed.

Bottom line is rarely are two people are going to want the same mods or accessories on anything.

Last Edited:
Or like a Harley the owner put just about every chrome cover, cap or any other accessory the newbies did back in the "day'.

I remember once going to go look at a used FL Classic and it was like I said above. He added up the cost of EVERY add-on and attached to to the bike. You almost couldn't see the bike due to the chrome reflection!

I told him he could remove every non-factory add on and keep them and we would talk but it never happened.

Guns are no different, like many things however there is obviously a difference between a modification and and accessory.

A mod may be irreversible and will most likely limit it's resale value and potential - regardless of who did it. Worse of course if done poorly or incorrectly.

Accessories and add ons can be removed.

Bottom line is rarely are two people are going to want the same mods or accessories on anything.
YEP!! The more "custom" or add on someone puts on anything, the harder it will be to get it all back. Probably no better example of this than the venerable 10-22. You can buy a standard one, shoot it for years and easily still sell it for most of what you paid for it. Lost track of how many I have had. You can also take one and turn it into something that will do Olympic type accuracy for competition if you wish. Now if someone puts that kind of cash into one and then wants to sell it? Suddenly the market for a buyer is VERY damn small. Before places started selling 1911's with all the bells and whistles used to see this a lot at shows. People would spend enough on a Colt GM to buy 3 of them. Hell they were damn nice when done but, try to sell it for what they had in it? Now it suddenly sat on the table with no one willing to pay. They had to find a buyer who happened to want the same things they had already done.

YEP!! The more "custom" or add on someone puts on anything, the harder it will be to get it all back. Probably no better example of this than the venerable 10-22. You can buy a standard one, shoot it for years and easily still sell it for most of what you paid for it. Lost track of how many I have had. You can also take one and turn it into something that will do Olympic type accuracy for competition if you wish. Now if someone puts that kind of cash into one and then wants to sell it? Suddenly the market for a buyer is VERY damn small. Before places started selling 1911's with all the bells and whistles used to see this a lot at shows. People would spend enough on a Colt GM to buy 3 of them. Hell they were damn nice when done but, try to sell it for what they had in it? Now it suddenly sat on the table with no one willing to pay. They had to find a buyer who happened to want the same things they had already done.
Same deal with Frankengun AR's, usually more value in parting them out than as complete guns.