JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reason I ended up with a CZ is because I couldn't find a HP in good enough condition or priced reasonably enough to get - and this was before they were dropped from production.

I always wanted an earlier Belgium made one as I always saw them as much higher quality with fit and finish. Heck the FIRST SA pistol I ever shot was a HP!

I did once find a gen 3 HP in a PS but it had an alloy frame and was a POS on all fronts!

They just can't think of any new designs to call their own.
My buddy has a several-year-old SA 'Operator' 45 that's as good (and as ACCURATE) as any version I've ever seen or shot. His companion 9mm is similarly well executed & I can't talk him out of either one. Why should I care about their plastic pistols?

My buddy has a several-year-old SA 'Operator' 45 that's as good (and as ACCURATE) as any version I've ever seen or shot. His companion 9mm is similarly well executed & I can't talk him out of either one. Why should I care about their plastic pistols?
You shouldn't? I don't get your question....did I say you were supposed to?

Neither does Springfield 1911 OR Kimber, Wilson, Brown, Ruger, S&W, Remington, and all the other non Colt 1911s - but they all (most anyway) seem to be accepted and I am sure the SA-35 will be as well !

I sure like the looks - and the reviews!

True, but the HP isn't replicated nearly as often as the 1911.

Hi Power doesn't get the love the 1911 gets. Shame considering how ground breaking it was in 1935. Slim, double stack 9mm.

Very first handgun I ever fired was that mid 80's HP I purchased. Second was the (then wife's) nickel Beretta 84FS…

Good times…

I kinda hope not. The BHP is ICONIC and the day we see an ATI or Llama HP will be sad indeed.......
However we could see a S&W, Ruger or other 'high end' mfg possibly making them and I am sure they would be high quality as well but most likely the big 'name brands' won't get involved - or will they? Could the future be a 'weakening' of the 1911 market and seeing the HP as becoming more popular?

However we could see a S&W, Ruger or other 'high end' mfg possibly making them and I am sure they would be high quality as well but most likely the big 'name brands' won't get involved - or will they? Could the future be a 'weakening' of the 1911 market and seeing the HP as becoming more popular?
I don't think so. The BHP never knocked the 1911 off its pedestal in all these years. I don't think a SA copy (or any other) is going to dethrone the king.

Neither does Springfield 1911 OR Kimber, Wilson, Brown, Ruger, S&W, Remington, and all the other non Colt 1911s - but they all (most anyway) seem to be accepted and I am sure the SA-35 will be as well !

I sure like the looks - and the reviews!
Interesting 1911's have been made by a lot more manufacturers than Colt ever since WW 1.

I don't think a SA copy (or any other) is going to dethrone the king.
Probably not.

Just my view but I see the new SA as 'targeting' the more discriminating, sport/competition/hobby shooter who has no interest in plastic, rails 'optics' and just wants a traditional, high quality pistol with good ergonomics and a great trigger - and thats me. Also a bit less expensive to shoot and lighter recoil.

The CZ 'filled the bill' for a HP style gun but I have never gotten used to the DA trigger with the long take up until release. In this category my 1911 shines with its sub 4 # trigger with NO take up and crisp release.

I kinda wish SA would have gone with a fully adjustable rear sight but hopefully the one I eventually get will shoot POA but I foresee an LPA rear on mine.

Last Edited:
Probably not.

Just my view but I see the new SA as 'targeting' the more discriminating, sport/competition/hobby shooter who has no interest in plastic, rails 'optics' and just wants a traditional, high quality pistol with good ergonomics and a great trigger - and thats me. Also a bit less expensive to shoot and lighter recoil.

The CZ 'filled the bill' for a HP style gun but I have never gotten used to the DA trigger with the long take up until release. In this category my 1911 shines with its sub 4 # trigger with NO take up and crisp release.
I'm sure you're right. What I won't do is assume this SA version is a "high quality pistol with good ergonomics and a great trigger". Not enough info or hands-on to determine if its good or junk. That was kinda one of my points....everyone is tripping over themselves to get at this thing without knowing jack about it. Pretty sure we determined that SA isn't even manufacturing them, just assembly and a roll mark. That isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

Let's see how they are after the general public has a chance to really put it through its paces. A couple of shill YouTube videos isn't enough to sell me on it.

Clearly this forum lacks a quorum of Hi-Power fans. Fortunately, the few of us here can make up for that.

Exactly. More for us. (Perhaps it should be considered refreshing that someone indicates a disdain for SA, rather than the tiresome ol' Kimber, Taurus and Colt hate.) Oh, and we all know that Hi-Power fans (along with 1911 guys) are typically the most enlightened of all semi-auto pistol aficionados...

AECBD8A7-DDDB-416A-BC72-B8EC0812E32E.jpeg

More than anything this new Springfield release is just another reminder of how frustrated I am with everything I want being overpriced, backordered, discontinued and/or out of stock. I sound like an angry curmudgeon saying "remember when you could buy 100 rounds of 7.62x39 at Walmart for $9" except it was only 3 years ago. How did everything get so royally effed up..

Here's a guy who's NOT a "shill." Anyone know who Jason Burton (Heirloom Precision) is? Only one of the most respected 1911 custom smiths in the world. He got his hands on one, and is pretty positive about the pistol.
zBurton.jpg

I'm sure you're right. What I won't do is assume this SA version is a "high quality pistol with good ergonomics and a great trigger". Not enough info or hands-on to determine if its good or junk. That was kinda one of my points....everyone is tripping over themselves to get at this thing without knowing jack about it. Pretty sure we determined that SA isn't even manufacturing them, just assembly and a roll mark. That isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

Let's see how they are after the general public has a chance to really put it through its paces. A couple of shill YouTube videos isn't enough to sell me on it.
I've looked at BHP's and the like but never bought one because of the dreaded hammer bite. Springfield claims to have fixed that problem so I've just got to see. Getting one as soon as they come out kind of insures a high resale value if I don't like it. It wouldn't be the first time I bought a gun and after the first time shooting it realized it wasn't for me. I am excited about it tho, I think it will be a great speed steel gun if it's every thing they say it is.

The High Power was called the "King of the Nines" for a reason. I carried one for years and it was comfortable to shoot and accurate as well as dependable.

If you're interested in one, see if you can find a copy of "The Shooters Guide to the Browning High Power" by Stephen A. Camp. It's an excellent book.

When I first carried, I carried a full size 1911, then went to a Commander and finally the HP. The Commander was the easiest to carry, but the HP gave me more firepower.

If I can find an SA35 at a reasonable price I'll buy it in a heartbeat.